Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

if ya guys had the chance to, what would u ask Lana about a specific song from NFR? 

this is a great question!!

i might just dive right in the deep end and ask who exactly the title track is about, or i might ask exactly what the iPad line from hope is about 

Wq9zHLl.jpg

if ya guys had the chance to, what would u ask Lana about a specific song from NFR? 

I'd ask her what specific event/situation made her write The greatest, and if it was time-consuming to write and compose or rather very natural.

or i might ask exactly what the iPad line from hope is about 

I guess that line is pretty explicit - just wanting to have a videocall with her dad while she's on tour. To me it sounds like they had a deep conversation.

this is a great question!!

i might just dive right in the deep end and ask who exactly the title track is about, or i might ask exactly what the iPad line from hope is about 

oohhhh, true. true. I- I don't think I'd ask that. I like the mystery behind it, for me it lends more to the type of man, and don't want to direct it back. but. I totally get why you'd ask forsure. 

I wanted to know too, but I kinda just connected it w how she wanted to be like, innocent again, and just calling her dad. or that's what I take from it anyway 

UV/Honeymoon

I guess that line is pretty explicit - just wanting to have a videocall with her dad while she's on tour. To me it sounds like they had a deep conversation.

in a sense i agree, but then i'm also intrigued by the "calling from beyond the grave" part - it's a v rude and nosy question to ask lol but was this a time she felt suicidal/depressed? did touring/moving away from home/anything like that kinda make her feel like a ghost? when i feel beyond blue the last thing i want is to speak to my parents - i wonder if that's something she misses when it all gets too much.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

in a sense i agree, but then i'm also intrigued by the "calling from beyond the grave" part - it's a v rude and nosy question to ask lol but was this a time she felt suicidal/depressed? did touring/moving away from home/anything like that kinda make her feel like a ghost? when i feel beyond blue the last thing i want is to speak to my parents - i wonder if that's something she misses when it all gets too much.

Yeah! That's what I get from that line... Like she was probably extremely depressed, and felt the need to speak to her dad. It would still be nice to hear it from her though.

I'd ask her what specific event/situation made her write The greatest, and if it was time-consuming to write and compose or rather very natural.

this thooooo. when I think of the track. first thought in my head: masterpiece. first emotion- sorrow. I wonder how it all came out too yeah.. 

UV/Honeymoon

this thooooo. when I think of the track. first thought in my head: masterpiece. first emotion- sorrow. I wonder how it all came out too yeah.. 

It really does feel like a masterpiece to me too. The outro (I mean the last 6 or so lines) is just immaculate. To me the climax of the record.

It really does feel like a masterpiece to me too. The outro (I mean the last 6 or so lines) is just immaculate. To me the climax of the record.

the juxtaposition to how simple and stripped back it sounds, heightened there, to how everything else was racing, swooping especially w the double vid, how it congrats in pace w FIILY- it's like, the curve a wave makes before crashing. u can feel the pain in how she sings the chorus. like. who likes being left right, u know? 

edit: also, for maybe some music appreciation fans, maybe what other people hear as tinny vocals, at least for me, remind me of flats? maybe someone can confirm.. but. those moments remind me of hitting concrete. like- damn it hurts, but u gotta try getting back up even if ur still sore. I sound real out there atm, but does that connect w anyone else? 

UV/Honeymoon

the juxtaposition to how simple and stripped back it sounds, heightened there, to how everything else was racing, swooping especially w the double vid, how it congrats in pace w FIILY- it's like, the curve a wave makes before crashing. u can feel the pain in how she sings the chorus. like. who likes being left right, u know? 

edit: also, for maybe some music appreciation fans, maybe what other people hear as tinny vocals, at least for me, remind me of flats? maybe someone can confirm.. but. those moments remind me of hitting concrete. like- damn it hurts, but u gotta try getting back up even if ur still sore. I sound real out there atm, but does that connect w anyone else? 

The Greatest sounds like an apocalypse song

All of this :defeated: And it's so heavy because it addresses so many stuff -- what's going on politically in America, climate change... we're really going through the greatest loss as a society.

The Greatest sounds like an apocalypse song   :wub:

HELL yes. the piano makes it so much more poignant too

All of this :defeated: And it's so heavy because it addresses so many stuff -- what's going on politically in America, climate change... we're really going through the greatest loss as a society.

Angel of death teas forsure forsure. that's real globalistic of u, that's great. <3

UV/Honeymoon

because that’s the kind of mindless parochial/provincial idiot you are.

I couldn't care less about the personal issues going on between users, but this kind of language is nothing but elitist and exclusionary. Sure that's not the way a socially healthy or respectful communication between the people who frequent the forum would look like. Let's keep the dialogue enjoyable to all.

oohhhh, true. true. I- I don't think I'd ask that. I like the mystery behind it, for me it lends more to the type of man, and don't want to direct it back. but. I totally get why you'd ask forsure. 

I wanted to know too, but I kinda just connected it w how she wanted to be like, innocent again, and just calling her dad. or that's what I take from it anyway 

i love this interpretation ! i'm really intrigued by the juxtaposition of adult lana and child lana. we all know she went thru some shit when she was younger, so i'm really intrigued by how she interprets innocence and even just her family life overall.

yesssss  :defeated:  and i know lana's politics can be questionable at the best of times haha but i love the way she even calls kanye out by name, it's like damn... like she said before, the loss of his strong mindedness and status as cultural commentator really did feel like a loss for the culture. the song feels like such a stream of consciousness but the looseness of its articulation just makes it feel more honest to me, and also super relatable - when ur going thru personal changes and struggle and u look at society and see almost a mirror image of that idea, it hits different  :defeated:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I couldn't care less about the personal issues going on between users, but this kind of language is nothing but elitist and exclusionary. Sure that's not the way a socially healthy or respectful communication between the people who frequent the forum would look like. Let's keep the dialogue enjoyable to all.

Please keep in mind that, from almost my first post, I HAVE BEEN ON THE RECEIVING END of that kind of language and other forms of aggressive trolling from 40 or more members here, without you or 99.99% of the rest of the '"community" stepping in or speaking up. Got that? Where are all your posts underscoring the constant trolling and bullying of others? Or are you just trying to suck up? 

Also, sometimes it is just the unvarnished fact that some members are willfully ignorant---they might as well be Flat Earth Believers or Holocaust Deniers, simply because they have decided to spit in the face of anything factual, actual or conventional. " "Einstein's Theory of Relativity--Ha! What a farce!" "President Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth--sure!" "Thanks to technology, we can now see photos of Pluto and Neptune! RIGHT."  

It's one thing to be uneducated and therefore potentially genuinely ignorant, and it's another thing to have a Neanderthal mentality by choice, and use it aggressively.