Lucas B.

The Twilight Saga - Discussion Thread

This last week I watched the Twilight Saga films all over again, as it's been a few years since I last saw them after Breaking Dawn Pt. 2 were officially released in theaters, and OMG I still love this to the core.

I know they're not in any Harry Potter standards and a lot of people still don't like it, but I grew up watching these films, I watched every one of them in the theater with my mom, so they're kinda special for me and bring a lot of good memories from when I was 12-13yo.

I remember I had a secret crush on Edward, tho I still hadn't noticed I'm gay and thought I was bi at that time hahaha.

Also, who didn't cried during the final battle in BD Pt. 2?

When Aro shows THAT head the entire cinema was like OMFG WHAT HE DID? And after that the end credits with Cristina Perri's A Thousand Years, everyone was in tears.

I must say I can't wait to read Midnight Sun and see how was Twilight's story by Edward's point of view, it will be quite interesting.

Twilight-Saga-Books-in-Order.jpg

original.gif

The books are marginally better and yeah I'm intrigued to read Midnight Sun.

I wonder if Myers is testing the waters to see if there is still a soild fanbase so that she can maybe return/continue the saga?

Also Host and The Chemist are really really good, y'all should check them out.

The thing that always got to me is that outside of Bella and Edward's relationship was a far more interesting world/lore than the couple.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

The books are marginally better and yeah I'm intrigued to read Midnight Sun.

I wonder if Myers is testing the waters to see if there is still a soild fanbase so that she can maybe return/continue the saga?

Also Host and The Chemist are really really good, y'all should check them out.

The thing that always got to me is that outside of Bella and Edward's relationship was a far more interesting world/lore than the couple.

Maybe she should do like EL James did with the Fifty Shades franchise.

After the release of the trilogy and the films, she released GREY - the whole story, 3 books each just as the originals, from Christian's pov. 

I would love to read New Moon from Edward pov as he's away in the biggest part of the book. Would be nice to see his thoughts and actions while he's in Rio and Volterra.

original.gif

I rewatched the films back at the start of quarentine - I remember finding the first part of Midnight Sun back when I was a kid lmao. I think around this time last year I got kind of into looking at the "science" behind the lore. There's some really interesting things, like the logical-ish reasons vampires sparkle both due to a predator-prey attraction and what happens on a cellular level in a book Meyer published. Sadly while the films are nice easy ways to pass the time I find the books unreadably bad. I'll probably find a way to read midnight sun without giving her any money (look into the connections between twilight, race, and Mormonism, as well as the shit she's done to the Quileute tribe) and give the money I would have spent to the Quileutes.

locals only

so happy theres a twilight thread now lol! i was obsessed -- and i do mean obsessed -- as a preteen (was team jacob) and even went to see eclipse the night it came out at 4 am. after breaking dawn, i hated them for a while, embarrassed i had ever been a fan, but now i like the movies again. just ironically this time around.

funny that this thread was posted today, bc i got up at 10 am to watch twilight today, bc i dont have it on dvd anymore and i legit have to watch it once in a while to have a good laugh otherwise i have withdrawals. its got its hold on me real well.  i cant say i ship bella with anyone, shes a mary sue and both edward and jacob are pretty shitty people lol. also, stephanie meyer chose the two most gay characters to be in a relationship. i guess thats why a lot of people ship rosalie or alice with bella instead  :teehee:

I'll probably find a way to read midnight sun without giving her any money (look into the connections between twilight, race, and Mormonism, as well as the shit she's done to the Quileute tribe) and give the money I would have spent to the Quileutes.

totally agree. i saw something but cant confirm with my own eyes that years ago meyer said the only way she'd cast a black person in twilight is if they were a villain? (see laurent)........ :crossed:

totally agree. i saw something but cant confirm with my own eyes that years ago meyer said the only way she'd cast a black person in twilight is if they were a villain? (see laurent)........ :crossed:

Yep! The director, Catherine Hardwick, wanted the Cullens and the cast in general to be much more diverse (explicitly wanted a Japanese actress to play Alice) and Meyer shot her down completely, said that she saw the Cullens as one way only (white). I think that her saying that she would only cast a black actor in the role of a villain is a misinterpretation. Catherine Hardwick looked through the book for any hint of a sign that a character could be a poc and Laurent is described as being olive skinned and she pointed out to Meyer that olives can also be black, so Meyer relented. There's also a weird connection between vampires and Mormon teachings (3 days to become a vampire after a bite, the melanin in the skin is "burned up" by the venom so all vampires are white...) Interesting thing to look into, esp with the way she portrays Natives.

locals only

Yep! The director, Catherine Hardwick, wanted the Cullens and the cast in general to be much more diverse (explicitly wanted a Japanese actress to play Alice) and Meyer shot her down completely, said that she saw the Cullens as one way only (white). I think that her saying that she would only cast a black actor in the role of a villain is a misinterpretation. Catherine Hardwick looked through the book for any hint of a sign that a character could be a poc and Laurent is described as being olive skinned and she pointed out to Meyer that olives can also be black, so Meyer relented. There's also a weird connection between vampires and Mormon teachings (3 days to become a vampire after a bite, the melanin in the skin is "burned up" by the venom so all vampires are white...) Interesting thing to look into, esp with the way she portrays Natives.

yikes. yeah im definitely going to find a pdf of midnight sun. i definitely see what you mean. the werewolves are portrayed as ruthless and unhinged. the racist "savage" stereotype in regards to poc needs to go.

also the anti-abortion narrative she pulled in breaking dawn...i don't think any uterus-having person i know would carry to term if it meant they'd most likely die (during birth or while pregnant)? so the whole renesmee thing to me just screams anti-choice lmao. and edward is painted as the bad guy for wanting to abort. lmao. ok

The first film is the best to me because it's just hilarious (and iconic tbh). I still remember seeing it in theaters when it came out in 2008 and just laughing through most of it.

I enjoyed the New Moon book as a teenager and the movie was okay. I can't really stand the rest of the series though.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Can we talk about the OSTs?? They're perfect and made me discover such great artists such as Lykke Li, Vampire Weekend, Metric, Christina Perri, Muse and Paramore ofc. Iconic!

The soundtrack was the best part of the series IMO. Paramore had two amazing songs on there; Decode and I Caught Myself. Too bad the editing team accidentally put the demo of I Caught Myself in the movie though, the official version is a lot better. 

Can we talk about the OSTs?? They're perfect and made me discover great artists such as Lykke Li, Vampire Weekend, Metric, Christina Perri, Muse and Paramore ofc. Iconic!

Hearing Damage in the new moon chase scene is such a chef kissy choice

locals only

Can we talk about the OSTs?? They're perfect and made me discover great artists such as Lykke Li, Vampire Weekend, Metric, Christina Perri, Muse and Paramore ofc. Iconic!

Also the scores, just love what Alexandre Desplat did for New Moon...

This tune gets me every time, the urgency in it.

original.gif

loved the songs vampire weekend, florence + the machine, and muse brought to the table. truly think lykke li's possibility is the best scene in the entire series. the cinematography, the vocals, the lyrics  :legend:

even my brother who hates the movies really loves that scene!

also, is anybody else watching the marathon on freeform rn? they played twilight and new moon today, and eclipse is on as of rn.

YES AND YES!! I love the OST

I only read the first book and couldn't stand Bella. The movies are trash but I love them. Like I know they suck but at least I'm entertained. :hooker:

I only read the first too, but probably I will read the others when I got a big time to spend. Bella is very self-centered and selfish. Everyone ends up doing everything to keep her safe and she barely thanks.