Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Spoiler

I'm gonna get dragged but idc. People only hate on her poetry because its become trendy to hate on Marina in the past five years. If these poems were Lana's yall would eat it up and call it art:mariah2:

3z1M54f.jpeg

As someone who occasionally writes a poem/is an english major and reads a lot of books, I think Lana has a much better handle on intentional word usage in the poems i’ve read so far. Poetry means something, it doesn’t just mean flowery language and a lack of punctuation. In a poem, every word serves a purpose, and has the potential to change the whole flavor of a poem, like how much baking powder you add in baking. I think aspartame reads more like prose because of its lack of commitment to the form. I think Lana suffers from this in her poetry, too (why the hell would you add emojis into your poems unless they mean literally anything), but her theming is more succinct and her word choice is more intentional as a whole in poems like sportcruiser and tessa depietro, which demonstrate a closer level of an artist aspiring to discover her place in the world on a more philosophical level and one thats more interesting in terms of rhythm, diction, and form. But thats just my opinion 

Maybe it’s the language barrier, or maybe I’m not sensitive to free verse poetry, but Marina’s read more like short stories to me, not necessarily bad, though

eb8fcf3e43206e82abf83c9c01bfcf26.gif

2 hours ago, godsmonster said:
  Hide contents

I'm gonna get dragged but idc. People only hate on her poetry because its become trendy to hate on Marina in the past five years. If these poems were Lana's yall would eat it up and call it art:mariah2:

Clock It Sis

2 hours ago, godsmonster said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You can write this out of spoiler, in big letters and bold my sis. Just tea.

I think it's just so...mean that people not only decided to drop her the moment L+F didn't sound bright, but also just shit on her nonstop. No one's telling you to read her poetry, if you don't like her anymore then just unfollow and move along. 

As for the poetry itself, "Aspartame" is pretty shocking (complimentary). I can understand if you find it, poetry-wise, weak, but it's still a fucking revelation in a way her music wasn't able to convey before. Also blunt. As a fan, I find it fascinating to read that and then link up with the lyrics and stories that she shared for the past ~15 years. The way you can read Hollywood in another light, you understand a lot of her "America Obsession" and so on. I haven't been up with everything posted, but I also remember how that "Sparkling Clam" can be connected to Solitaire; it's a deep dive on her mind and life.

Maybe the problem was labelling it as poetry and the expectations that comes with it.

13 minutes ago, DinahLee said:

Maybe the problem was labelling it as poetry and the expectations that comes with it.

100% agree with everything you said. I said a few pages back I think she should have maybe marketed this as a memoir and ditched some of the rupi kaur line breaks (which makes it harder to read imo), but I think 'poetry book' is the current marketing buzzword at the moment. it's obvious she has a lot that she wants to get off her chest and feels like she can't sing those things, in pain eraser she said: line breaks omitted.

the things i need to write about are the things i'm scared to write about, lest they blow up my life and everything i tried so hard to save / mend / bury / heal.

if she sings about some of these things they're going to get so much more attention than if she just puts them in a poetry book and she'll have to sing them on tour for weeks. I think with over decade of releases she can just release her one little poetry book, new music is coming in 2025, and she'd already said she was taking a break because of her chronic fatigue so I don't think this poetry book has delayed the album at all.

Lol you can replace Lana w any other artist, stans are gonna eat up anything their fav puts out regardless of the quality of the work. Thats how it is. And this thread shows it

10 minutes ago, 79lipstick said:

Lol you can replace Lana w any other artist, stans are gonna eat up anything their fav puts out regardless of the quality of the work. Thats how it is. And this thread shows it

It's not necessarily about fans eating things up, but the way things unfold. At worst, people were indifferent toward Violet Bent Backwards and mind you, that was during the peak of "mesh mask-gate post-Question For The Culture." Many people were enthusiastic and supportive, while Marina's ""fans"" just keep complaining and looking down on her. She's not the first or the last alt/flop girl to release a poetry book (off the top of my head, I can remember Banks & Halsey also dropping books within the last five years, to some great reviews!), but you don't see people clogging their threads and complaining. And I really hope no one will try to come with "but the music was good!!!" as a clapback. 

3 hours ago, godsmonster said:
  Hide contents

clocked all the flops in this thread

what if the cockroaches have psychedelic pussy?

4 hours ago, 79lipstick said:

Well one thing is certain her poetry wont bring in any new fans..

Has Lana's brought her any? :stareney2: Anyways I think that certain poems of hers were nice, this one not so much, but the audio version seems interesting and this recycle of tumblr vibes feels familiar and it's something we the diamonds been lacking lately right?

:tiffany3:

8 minutes ago, vrtvie said:

Has Lana's brought her any? :stareney2: Anyways I think that certain poems of hers were nice, this one not so much, but the audio version seems interesting and this recycle of tumblr vibes feels familiar and it's something we the diamonds been lacking lately right?

No, it didn't. I just think it's a cop out to dismiss everyone who holds a negative or neutral opinion of Marina's poetry project as haters who jumped on a bandwagon even when they provide good analysis. 

3 hours ago, DinahLee said:

It's not necessarily about fans eating things up, but the way things unfold. At worst, people were indifferent toward Violet Bent Backwards and mind you, that was during the peak of "mesh mask-gate post-Question For The Culture." Many people were enthusiastic and supportive, while Marina's ""fans"" just keep complaining and looking down on her. She's not the first or the last alt/flop girl to release a poetry book (off the top of my head, I can remember Banks & Halsey also dropping books within the last five years, to some great reviews!), but you don't see people clogging their threads and complaining. And I really hope no one will try to come with "but the music was good!!!" as a clapback. 

i do agree with this regardless