Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

If there are 3 more parts and we are supposed to get the final part on August 8th wtf is she going to do, release them all at the same time? THat makes no sense. I Love Marina and I'm not usually one of those annoying fans who complains about things like this, but it's actually frustrating... If there are 2 more full length videos, why would she release them at the same time? It just reduces the hype... And I thought she was going to make Lies a single since she performed it on Conan with the new verse...

I feel like she's the shitter and failed version of Lana. With songs like Hollywood, Primadonna, Homewrecker. She's lyrically missed the point and musically a wanna of Katy Perry. Marina adores Lana, naturally. Marina is just so harsh. And not in a cool, edgy way, just sonically harsh I think. She makes good songs though I have to give her that. When Electra Heart came out I jammed to Lies, Homewrecker, Primadonna a lot.

I feel like she's the shitter and failed version of Lana. With songs like Hollywood, Primadonna, Homewrecker. She's lyrically missed the point and musically a wanna of Katy Perry. Marina adores Lana, naturally. Marina is just so harsh. And not in a cool, edgy way, just sonically harsh I think. She makes good songs though I have to give her that. When Electra Heart came out I jammed to Lies, Homewrecker, Primadonna a lot.

Honey you got it backwards. Lana adores Marina and was honestly inspired by her probably. Her facebook page used to have Marina and the Diamonds under her "likes" before she even released the Born to Die music video that got her large mainstream success. 

Marina did everything BEFORE Lana. You make it sound like Lana was around first and Marina somehow copied her but failed...

Marina didn't rob her themes from Lana. See Hollywood--already exploring Electra Heart themes in a way.

Lana was writing about Americana shit for years before she got famous.

Either direction, let's not.

I wasn't saying Lana copied Marina, I know Lana has been writing music since before Hollywood, I'm just saying she may have been inspired by Marina later and in some other ways. Being inspired doesn't mean copying. But considering she likes Marina I'm sure she was somewhat of an inspiration to her.

But it's IMPOSSIBLE for Marina to have been inspired by Lana at all, at least for her first record. And pretty much for Electra Heart too since it would have been completed by the time Lana came into the scene.

Honey you got it backwards. Lana adores Marina and was honestly inspired by her probably. Her facebook page used to have Marina and the Diamonds under her "likes" before she even released the Born to Die music video that got her large mainstream success. 

Marina did everything BEFORE Lana. You make it sound like Lana was around first and Marina somehow copied her but failed...

I didn't know Lana liked her, that's kinda weird tbh but doesn't change my opinion. And I'm in no way implying that Lana came first. I'm just saying they're both aiming for the same artistic goal but Marina's failed and Lana's succeeded. It's evident in their album sales and impact. The only people who like Marina, in my experience, are pop listeners. Lana has a much broader audience.

Also this 

"It must have stung like billy-o when Lana Del Rey came along and executed precisely what Marina was aiming for, hardly having to open her much-discussed mouth in order to explain herself whilst Marina tied herself in conceptual knots."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16579-electra-heart/

Plus, how can you compare Lana's best songs (Born To Die, Video Games, Ride, Y&B) to Marina's "Homewrecker, Primadonna, Hollywood, Power & Control).

The only people that like Lana in my experience are pop listeners though... Marina had a much more diverse fanbase before her second album.. Electra Heart honestly screwed her over a bit as far as artistic integrity goes. She gained more fans, but lost her alternative appeal. I'm hoping she gets it back with her next album though.

Just no, they're different types of music. 

Of course they are, doesn't mean you can't test them on their merit while keeping in mind they have the same goal. People compare Madonna and David Bowie even though they make completely different music. They're both gods at what they do but you can still choose to criticize how well they've done it.

Of course they are, doesn't mean you can't test them on their merit while keeping in mind they have the same goal. People compare Madonna and David Bowie even though they make completely different music. They're both gods at what they do but you can still choose to criticize how well they've done it.

What is it you think Marina is trying to do though? Because I really don't think her and Lana are trying to do the same thing at all, bandwagoners on tumblr just like to group them together because they are both pop but also alternative so they earn extra the "cool factor" that way I guess, and Marina's suburban housewife and beauty queen archetypes are kind of similar to Lana's whole aestethic I guess. But they really aren;t that similar, a lot of people that like one just happen to also like the other and a lot of bandwagoners looking for whatever is "hipster" but still pop enough for them to ACTUALLY like the music love them both. 

You flat out said "I feel like she's the shittier and failed version of Lana". Just stop.

What is it you think Marina is trying to do though? Because I really don't think her and Lana are trying to do the same thing at all, bandwagoners on tumblr just like to group them together because they are both pop but also alternative so they earn extra the "cool factor" that way I guess, and Marina's suburban housewife and beauty queen archetypes are kind of similar to Lana's whole aestethic I guess. But they really aren;t that similar, a lot of people that like one just happen to also like the other and a lot of bandwagoners looking for whatever is "hipster" but still pop enough for them to ACTUALLY like the music love them both. 

Exactly tho, they both use the same archetypes and they're both trying to comment on the rise and fall that these archetypes had in America. I just think Lana does it way better. I just don't think you can compare the two as far as how good the music and videos are. I mean, no one even talks about Marina. Electra Heart had barely any impact. It did give her new fans but she lost some and most people just didn't even care. That's something to think about. I know people like to act like Lana doesn't have much success but Born To Die was #2 on Billboard 200. That's a feat that Marina would kill for. Electra Heart was #31.

You flat out said "I feel like she's the shittier and failed version of Lana". Just stop.

Still doesn't mean you can't criticize on how well both do. It's like we're comparing Katy Perry and Ke$ha. Britney Spears and Rihanna. You can criticize all of them since they're all trying to do the same thing.

The sheer ignorance :deadbanana:

Marina had an album out first, can you really steal ideas from someone in 2010 when they don't have anything out?

Never fucking said that.

Like seriously, wtf is up with the cattiness from some of you? That's exactly what I'm trying to escape on pop forums but I guess you find it fuckin everywhere.

Like seriously, wtf is up with the cattiness from some of you? That's exactly what I'm trying to escape on pop forums but I guess you find it fuckin everywhere.

You came into a thread of exclusively fans and didn't expect any defensive responses? :horror:

Do you, I suppose.