Strangelove

Fans suffering from "Unreleased Syndrome"

1 minute ago, lanaismamom said:

there no Syndrome or issue in it

she just did the song worse, not the fact that is was released😭 the fact that she changed immaculate lyrics in best americsn record (that has never called architecture, thsts a fan title) and killed the mood, also she took away that iconic intro... if only she wouldve released og version id stan the same

what else lol, thats it, the rest of songs she reworked very and very much and i didn't see people praised demo more than released

So i dont see the thing that u described here 

Your comment is reflective of the bias people have I am talking about. Similar to a placebo or the fake luxury shoes, people are not aware of their impressions and preferences. In your example someone can take a sugar pill and say "The pill made my headache go away, there is nothing to it." But of course this is a psychological effect and not reality. That's also why I mentioned the controlled study. Human bias is very real and has scientific backing. 

7 minutes ago, Dior said:

Pink Champagne is troubling for me because I truly believe if it was the other way around fans would've been upset the Let Me Love You Like A Woman version wasn't released.

i don't really see it for lmlylaw. it could just be the overall infatuation and nostalgia that people have for the uv era that make people have a haze about the demo. not to mention that no one was really in love with lmlylaw when it came out? it was kinda just another lana song to wait until chemtrails. i feel like it's also some psychological thing where u always want what u don't have

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

i mentioned it in my earlier post, but it could be recency-bias, whatever is new will be more exciting for our minds, also, regarding demos with different sounds leaking, it's sort've like a the grass is greener on the other side kind of phenomenon, when a demo of a song leaks and it's noticeably different, it makes us think of what could've been, but at the same time, i think some people can just listen to a demo/earlier iteration of a song and maybe just prefer it, especially when it's very, very different, like pink champagne, or lust for life (demo 1) i don't think that means there's some psychological effect there, it's been over 3 years since the first lust for life demo leaked and i still prefer it over the album version (i still like the album version though)

Yes Recency bias!  Great comment. Oh my god this comment is reminding me of Soviet nostalgia! I'm going to add that to the original post. Soviet nostalgia phenomenon is a good comparison in a funny way. 

1 minute ago, Dior said:

Your comment is reflective of the bias people have I am talking about. Similar to a placebo or the fake luxury shoes, people are not aware of their impressions and preferences. In your example someone can take a sugar pill and say "The pill made my headache go away, there is nothing to it." But of course this is a psychological effect and not reality. That's also why I mentioned the controlled study. Human bias is very real and has scientific backing. 

yes and no? if you hear one song and compare it to another version of that same song are you not allowed to pick which one you like best?

1 minute ago, joeboe30 said:

yes and no? if you hear one song and compare it to another version of that same song are you not allowed to pick which one you like best?

Hi. Please watch the video of the fake designer shoes. Two of the exact same shoes and people will pick one because it is "higher quality", when in reality they're the same quality, or perhaps the one they picked is worse quality. Humans have blind eyes and are bias often. 

12 minutes ago, Dior said:

i can agree that people can have unconscious biases or preferences towards certain things, maybe some people just simply prefer some of lana's music from certain eras, or maybe their brains can just recognize what sounds, lyrics, and vibes they happen to prefer, if you really dig into it, there's probably a lot of reasons why somebody may like the music they like, their life and background, personality, what they grew up with, etc. music can be a very personal thing, but i don't think it's really wrong or points to anything psychological if somebody perhaps prefers an older demo version of a more recent song

everybody knows i love the lizzy grant era and it's my favorite era, i think one could assume that maybe i'm unconsciously biased towards some of her work from that time, although i can recognize that not everybody likes the lizzy grant music as much as i do, i greatly prefer the AKA version of yayo, and i honestly really don't like the paradise version of yayo, is it because i'm just biased towards the lizzy grant era? well, maybe a little bit, but i also just don't think the overly-opulent sound of the paradise album suits yayo at all, and i also don't like her vocalization in that song, or the heavy reverb on her vocals, i don't think that's unconscious/psychological, that's just me having a preference, i think the conversation here is interesting, but at the same time, it's just music at the end of the day, and we all have very different tastes anyway, i think our community is pretty diverse when it comes to favorite eras/favorite albums from lana

WGe8ynS.gif

Hi guys, sorry if I misspoke. This topic is not about if Lana's unreleased is better than her released music. It is about how  bias influences how fans think of her unreleased music versus her released music. I have linked a YouTube video and a Wikipedia article. 

its just

So many songs getting cut not because they are bad, and they wouldve perfectly fit in the album, and sure i will looking forward to hear newer songs or to expolore what we already have to have more songs with that sound, and sure some times its just a collection thing, i will be grateful to every stem packs, acapella demos, everything regarding Unreleased because i really want to hear the creative process of an album firstly, but also tag it in my mind that we have it and i may listened to it only once with that but its because of the curiousity, the newer melodies are always cool to hear from the artist u stan so Hard, and maybe if some released songs wouldve been Unreleased some of them wouldve praised more, but its only comparable to other Unreleased songs, but I genuinely dont see any released songs that are worthy to scrap before lfl, instead of lolita, and im sure i would listened to it very rarely but really appreciate the fact that we have it because the song wouldve been a strong contender for the album and its always interesting to compose tracklists and listen to the album the way it almost turned out to be, this is also why i really, really desire for fine china final version to be leaked, not telling its her best Unreleased song on my opinion

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

I don't really understand the placebo analogy you're trying to make but I feel like you can't compare fake luxury to music 

A lot of people say unreleased versions are better because people don't have expectations when it comes to unreleased songs, as for released songs they should be technically be good but since Lana has so many great unreleased songs it's easy to compare...

I remember when Nectar of the Gods leaked I thought it was amazing and deserved a release, and it was amazing for an unreleased song... it's still a concept demo and it shouldn't have been released as a concept demo if you get what I mean.

When it comes to BAR and TNBAR, BAR was already a fully complete song intended for released but scrapped at the last minute due to unfortunate circumstances set on by active LanaBoards member, I would be lying if I said TNBAR wasn't a far more lazy version of BAR, but I don't mind either version. Fans were also used to the BAR version as they were with Thunder so to like something they're familiar with more is not as strange as you're making it out to be.

It all comes down to quality at the end of the day, some songs are perfect unreleased songs and some released songs just aren't up to par. That being said, I would have probably LOVED Chemtrails / BB if it were unreleased for the sole reason they're not up to par with the rest of her discography (my opinion of course..) but I always look at things through the bigger picture, it's not just a black and white conversation or "placebo", theres many factors to consider and everyone has different interests. 

Steam Community :: :: The Lindsay Lohan

1 minute ago, Dior said:

Hi. Please watch the video of the fake designer shoes. Two of the exact same shoes and people will pick one because it is "higher quality", when in reality they're the same quality, or perhaps the one they picked is worse quality. Humans have blind eyes and are bias often. 

hey. watched the video. a demo/leak and the released version aren't always the same quality. some of lana's demos are raw and have that pure emotion that she's in recent times has stripped of those qualities. lana has also had demos which she's reworked to heighten the quality and make the song better. yes we have bias but to compare them as they are the exact same isn't necessarily the most accurate when there's nuance in bias'

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

i can agree that people can have unconscious biases or preferences towards certain things, maybe some people just simply prefer some of lana's music from certain eras, or maybe their brains can just recognize what sounds, lyrics, and vibes they happen to prefer, if you really dig into it, there's probably a lot of reasons why somebody may like the music they like, their life and background, personality, what they grew up with, etc. music can be a very personal thing, but i don't think it's really wrong or points to anything psychological if somebody perhaps prefers an older demo version of a more recent song

everybody knows i love the lizzy grant era and it's my favorite era, i think one could assume that maybe i'm unconsciously biased towards some of her work from that time, although i can recognize that not everybody feels that way or understands, i greatly prefer the AKA version of yayo, and i honestly really don't like the paradise version of yayo, is it because i'm just biased towards the lizzy grant era? well, maybe a little bit, but i also just don't think the overly-opulent sound of the paradise album suits yayo at all, and i also don't like her vocalization in that song, or the heavy reverb on her vocals, i don't think that's unconscious/psychological, that's just me having a preference, i think the conversation here is interesting, but at the same time, it's just music at the end of the day, and we all have very different tastes anyway, i think our community is pretty diverse when it comes to favorite eras/favorite albums from lana

I agree with a lot of what you said. But I think in the case of her unreleased music and because it is so engraved into her legacy, there does exist an amount of bias. I have noticed in other threads fans wanting an unreleased to be posted, so naturally, they have set imaginary expectations thus are already at a disadvantage. But that's my initial thoughts. 

I’m starting to lose you with the “issue” and “troubling” language, @Dior. I don’t think it’s an issue nor do I think it’s some problem with the collective psyche. It’s a phenomenon, interesting sure, but not really something that needs to be treated like a problem. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

1 minute ago, Dior said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. But I think in the case of her unreleased music and because it is so engraved into her legacy, there does exist an amount of bias. I have noticed in other threads fans wanting an unreleased to be posted, so naturally, they have set imaginary expectations thus are already at a disadvantage. But that's my initial thoughts. 

honestly... why does it matter if perhaps we're a little biased? it's like you said, bias is very real, and i would agree! everybody has biases, and having biases can be pretty harmful and it is something we should be conscious about, and try to change if it could be a harmful bias, but when it comes to what lana del rey songs or demos we prefer, i don't think it's a big deal, i think we should just let people like what they like without having to psycho-analyze it, i think it's great to be open-minded towards her music, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to prefer certain demos or unreleased songs over certain released songs, we all have unique tastes, and there may be a lot that goes into why we like what we do, but listening to music by our favorite artist shouldn't be that complicated

WGe8ynS.gif

but yea i would say i've suffered from 'unreleased syndrome' i remember first getting into lana and literally nonstop going through her unreleased and wishing for them to be released.. cut to bb and there are the songs that i wished to be released on streaming just for me to never touch them. nectar and cherry blossom seem like exact rips that i was completely obsessed with and now i kinda just forget they exist. def a phenomena 

10 minutes ago, Lindsay Lohan said:

I don't really understand the placebo analogy you're trying to make but I feel like you can't compare fake luxury to music 

A lot of people say unreleased versions are better because people don't have expectations when it comes to unreleased songs, as for released songs they should be technically be good but since Lana has so many great unreleased songs it's easy to compare...

I remember when Nectar of the Gods leaked I thought it was amazing and deserved a release, and it was amazing for an unreleased song... it's still a concept demo and it shouldn't have been released as a concept demo if you get what I mean.

When it comes to BAR and TNBAR, BAR was already a fully complete song intended for released but scrapped at the last minute due to unfortunate circumstances set on by active LanaBoards member, I would be lying if I said TNBAR wasn't a far more lazy version of BAR, but I don't mind either version. Fans were also used to the BAR version as they were with Thunder so to like something they're familiar with more is not as strange as you're making it out to be.

It all comes down to quality at the end of the day, some songs are perfect unreleased songs and some released songs just aren't up to par. That being said, I would have probably LOVED Chemtrails / BB if it were unreleased for the sole reason they're not up to par with the rest of her discography (my opinion of course..) but I always look at things through the bigger picture, it's not just a black and white conversation or "placebo" everyone has different interests. 

The placebo effect, the video and the Soviet nostalgia example are examples of how bias people are when it comes to quality. I gave the example of the controlled study so you can better understand me but I will expand, so maybe I get my point across better. 

If you take 100 fans who are familiar with her unreleased music and play ten released and ten unreleased songs variants, it is likely demos will be chosen as their favorite versions versus the 100 non-fans, who will probably choose the finished songs or show no preference. These types of studies are used to determine if drugs are effective against placebo drugs (whoops, typo). You're not supposed to be aware of this bias so naturally as fans we can think 'I just like this more.' 

Ultimately a study would need to happen to truly verify the Unreleased Syndrome. But I like to discuss it anyway. Anyone got a laboratory and a ton of money I can borrow? 

4 minutes ago, Mer said:

I’m starting to lose you with the “issue” and “troubling” language, @Dior. I don’t think it’s an issue nor do I think it’s some problem with the collective psyche. It’s a phenomenon, interesting sure, but not really something that needs to be treated like a problem. 

Hi, I do not think it is a real issue. Sorry if I am coming off that way. By troubling I mean I wish to better understand it. Really I don't care if people like her unreleased more than her unreleased or whatever the case is. 

1 minute ago, Dior said:

If you take 100 fans who are familiar with her unreleased music and play ten released and ten unreleased songs variants, it is likely demos will be chosen as their favorite versions versus the 100 non-fans, who will probably choose the finished songs or show no preference. These types of studies are used to determine if drugs are effective against placebo effects. You're not supposed to be aware of this bias so naturally as fans we can think 'I just like this more.' 

But the “quality” of a song is not as objective as a shoe or a purse. Furthermore, in the shoe or designer item study, they are controlling the emotional aspect—the branding—which you cannot control with a song or piece of music. Such study would be deeply flawed, and it would be ridiculous to draw any kind of correlative conclusion from it. 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

2 minutes ago, Mer said:

But the “quality” of a song is not as objective as a shoe or a purse. Furthermore, in the shoe or designer item study, they are controlling the emotional aspect—the branding—which you cannot control with a song or piece of music. Such study would be deeply flawed, and it would be ridiculous to draw any kind of correlative conclusion from it. 

I would argue the "branding" aspect is the song being released or unreleased. There is a certain label attached to the song similarly to the shoes that people are drawn to both literally and figuratively. 

Again, a study done with non-fans who are completely unaware of which songs are unreleased or released would remove the bias fans have and paint a better picture of what I am talking about.