Strangelove

Fans suffering from "Unreleased Syndrome"

1 minute ago, longtimeman said:

I think you've really nailed it here. A better analogy would be between Chanel shoes that are available in stores, or full prototypes that still went through the Chanel design/production process, but for marketing reasons were left off the shelf. Someone might genuinely like the latter more than the more widely available ones because they're cooler or more comfortable or whatever, and not only because they're interested in novelty.

Also, Pink Champagne and LMLYLAW are completely different songs, as are Earthquakes and A&W. They're more like a fan preferring Honeymoon to Born To Die, which just proves there is different taste in the world.

It's normal to like something else over the other. But its likely in a controlled study people would be more inclined to find the unreleased shoes more appealing just because it has a unique element to it versus the shoes being presented as is. Likewise there is a certain appeal to vintage cars and clothing. It has nothing to do with actually liking it better - it's that branding of the "label" I have discussed. Nobody wants a car made in 2022 that runs like a 1970 one. 

Someone can genuinely feel better after digesting a sugar pill. I've even seen stories of bartenders serve patrons the same exact drink and the patrons saying the drink is now better... Feelings often correlate to a person's bias of impression. Fans may genuinely think a song is better and also be affected by something like Unreleased Syndrome - the two don't contradict each other. 

Multiple users have expressed they prefer songs to retain their unreleased label in this topic. So you can refer to their experiences as well. 

3 hours ago, Strangelove said:

Your comment is reflective of the bias people have I am talking about. Similar to a placebo or the fake luxury shoes, people are not aware of their impressions and preferences. In your example someone can take a sugar pill and say "The pill made my headache go away, there is nothing to it." But of course this is a psychological effect and not reality. That's also why I mentioned the controlled study. Human bias is very real and has scientific backing. 

Why is so strange for you to understand that some people prefer the demos for various reasons( better lyrics , better production ) and you have to call it a bias?

EDIT after reading many posts : Yes there is clearly an unreleased syndrome because most people are always thinking of what if and what they could get but that does not change the fact that the majority of the leaked demos are superior to released songs  (at least for me ):

Summer Time 

Pink Champaign 

I Talk To Jesus 

Sad Girl Demo

Architecture 

Lust For Life

Madly

If I Die Young 

Valley Of The Dolls 

Lolita Demo 

Nation Anthem Demo

And the list goes on .

The songs I have mentioned here, I prefer them over other released songs because of many reasons . It's not always about shoes , trust me :D .

Honestly, I never cared for demos. I never really listen to her demos either. Only maybe The Blackest Day demo for the dramatic sound :prettyhurts: altho the official version is still better.

I don't think it's that deep, it's a matter of taste afterall. Also people like to see it from a objective point too (like which fits better which is written better ect). Also the matter of nostalgia too, some people were really used to TNBAR until she released the updated version on NFR. Also situation can matter too, a lot of her demos leaked in 2020 (LFL title track demos, HM era demos) when the fandom was going through ups and downs and a lot of disappointment (Violet wasn't released in January, Grammy loss, Lana cancelled the tour, Covid shit, Question For The Culture (for some), hate from media, mesh mask, COTCC wasn't realeased in September) - so those demos and other unreleased which leaked were kind of a "solace" during those difficult times. Although, I prefer all of her released songs to the demos (maybe I love the Britrock sound of Thunder demo more than the ballad-y one and I kinda love the rock sound in Pink Champagne too) but I can see why some prefer demo to the official one. Maybe I'm talking some bs but afterall it's a matter of nostalgia and taste. Obviously a lot of her fans are crazy over Ultraviolence, so it's obvious they love Pink Champagne more. :whatever2:

url%5D

Just now, AntiToxicPill said:

Why is so strange to you to understand that some people prefer the demos for various reasons( better lyrics , better production ) and you have to call it a bias?

Hi. It is exploring the "why" of this phenomenon which I believe is due to numerous psychological biases. Of course people prefer music based on their perceived quality. But there's a deeper conversation regarding perception and reality (sugar pills, Soviet nostalgia, designer shoes prank etc.) Why do we have preference? To what degree is it influenced by nature? How aware are we of our biases? Etc. Even some members here have expressed experiencing or resonating Unreleased Syndrome. 

I haven't found anything in Lana's unreleased music even by the most objective measures fans would find themselves preferring it. Of course I am open to the idea fans just think the unreleased music is better. I understand some are feeling that way. But I really don't think the explanation is accurate or with context. Lana has had a very long history with leaks and I think this has impacted how fans percieve her music as well. I also think I am lacking the right verbage for this topic. Other users have touched up upon my point a bit swiftly. But... without a proper study it's just an idea and discussion though. 

For me, it's different outcomes for each case I can think of, with regards to a syndrome, or phenom, of people liking the original unreleased over a later (changed) released, or people liking the unreleased more as unreleased than being actually released (e.g., Blue Bannisters songs). In terms of just liking unreleased better (i.e., not controlling for song), I'd term it a "forbidden-fruit" effect, such that when they're released, you don't want it as much (it's no longer forbidden). However, it's more important to consider that any unreleased compilations that will happen are going to be more impactful to newer fans anyway, because that's just the way novelty works. Also, there's at least one case of a "meta-release" being more popular than its earlier proper release: the summertime sadness remix won a grammy, while LDR's version did not (how sad is that?). While this might suggest why (some) people like NA and TIWMUG demos more than the album versions, it doesn't work for why (some) people prefer the Blackest Day, LFL, or Freak demos over the album versions. To me everything just looks like special cases of preference, and having a few anecdotes about unreleased-over-released fan preferences doesn't seem convincing.

1 minute ago, slang said:

For me, it's different outcomes for each case I can think of, with regards to a syndrome, or phenom, of people liking the original unreleased over a later (changed) released, or people liking the unreleased more as unreleased than being actually released (e.g., Blue Bannisters songs). In terms of just liking unreleased better (i.e., not controlling for song), I'd term it a "forbidden-fruit" effect, such that when they're released, you don't want it as much (it's no longer forbidden). However, it's more important to consider that any unreleased compilations that will happen are going to be more impactful to newer fans anyway, because that's just the way novelty works. Also, there's at least one case of a "meta-release" being more popular than its earlier proper release: the summertime sadness remix won a grammy, while LDR's version did not (how sad is that?). While this might suggest why (some) people like NA and TIWMUG demos more than the album versions, it doesn't work for why (some) people prefer the Blackest Day, LFL, or Freak demos over the album versions. To me everything just looks like special cases of preference, and having a few anecdotes about unreleased-over-released fan preferences doesn't seem convincing.

Great and intelligent post. Thank you slang. Going to send you a "follow".

2 hours ago, Strangelove said:

Hi. It is exploring the "why" of this phenomenon which I believe is due to numerous psychological biases. Of course people prefer music based on their perceived quality. But there's a deeper conversation regarding perception and reality (sugar pills, Soviet nostalgia, designer shoes prank etc.) Why do we have preference? To what degree is it influenced by nature? How aware are we of our biases? Etc. Even some members here have expressed experiencing or resonating Unreleased Syndrome. 

I haven't found anything in Lana's unreleased music even by the most objective measures fans would find themselves preferring it. Of course I am open to the idea fans just think the unreleased music is better. I understand some are feeling that way. But I really don't think the explanation is accurate or with context. Lana has had a very long history with leaks and I think this has impacted how fans percieve her music as well. I also think I am lacking the right verbage for this topic. Other users have touched up upon my point a bit swiftly. But... without a proper study it's just an idea and discussion though. 

Got it . Thanks for clarifying this a bit . And I do agree on many aspects .

I also have a question about post NFR stans and how biased they are but I won't drop the bomb because it will get messy. :crazy:

I honestly agree with this, everyone seemed to be obsessed with Cherry Blossom and Living Legend before they were released. But now it seems everyone has turned against them, since they’re two of the least streamed songs on the album (along with Nectar Of The Gods but it wasn’t as well-liked as the other two even before its release). Some have argued that it’s because they didn’t get a proper rework like Thunder, but it looks like the popular opinion is that the demo for Thunder is better. Honestly Blue Banisters made me think about this unreleased syndrome thing for awhile, because it looks like a lot of the fandom just prefers what she didn’t release.

pskiQfS.jpeg

Your wife waters flowers, I wanna kill her 

No one in their right minds would think these are better than the released versions. There is no syndrome. Expectation for released music is different. A song might be good as a demo, but it wouldn’t as an official release. Some demos can go toe to toe or even better than her released work that is also true.

Cheery Blossom, Nector, Living Legend all fall into the good as a demo category (that needed more polish, more and better production).

Thunder is perfectly fine as is. They didn’t need to make it worse. Dealer was left untouched and people loved it.

In short, there is no syndrome. It’s all circumstantial depending on the songs.

8 hours ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

No one in their right minds would think these are better than the released versions. There is no syndrome. Expectation for released music is different. A song might be good as a demo, but it wouldn’t as an official release. Some demos can go toe to toe or even better than her released work that is also true.

Cheery Blossom, Nector, Living Legend all fall into the good as a demo category (that needed more polish and production).

Thunder is perfectly fine as is. They didn’t need to make it worse. Dealer was left untouched and people loved it.

In short, there is no syndrome. It’s all circumstantial depending on the songs.

85 people suffering from Unreleased Syndrome as seen in the comments, who are not in their "right minds"...

Screenshot-20230627-161452-2.png

4 minutes ago, Strangelove said:

85 people suffering from Unreleased Syndrome as seen in the comments, who are not in their "right minds"...

Screenshot-20230627-161452-2.png

somebody preferring a demo version isn't a case of a "syndrome"... they just happen to prefer it, even if you may not understand why, does just simply preferring a demo/different version of a song mean you have some sort of weird psychological reason as to why? just let people like what they like, it isn't that deep

WGe8ynS.gif

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

somebody preferring a demo version isn't a case of a "syndrome"... they just happen to prefer it, even if you may not understand why, does just simply preferring a demo/different version of a song mean you have some sort of weird psychological reason as to why? just let people like what they like, it isn't that deep

I am being mostly facetious and playful. :lel:

Just now, Candy Necklace said:

You have some of the strangest takes

Hello Mister/Missus Lana cannot release an older song. We meet again. 

Just now, Strangelove said:

I am being mostly facetious and playful. :lel:

do you just simply have a problem with people liking lana's unreleased songs/demos? because between this thread and the conversation that took place in the lust for life album process thread, it honestly seems like you do

WGe8ynS.gif

Oh this is sooo true. I probably can sometimes even suffer from it. I be thought about this, though I’ve never really called it anything. I’ve thought, listening to some of her low quality songs, that if this was released people wouldn’t be so obsessed.

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

Idk lol I always feel like this is a dumb thing people say to defend a song that people don’t like, such as the sentiment “people would love guns and roses if it was unreleased” like maybe it’s true for some fans but majority of people just have their own tastes :toofunny:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

I feel like this may originate from the instinct that is very much human, to want what you can’t have. Or want what’s exclusive, that feeds into some form of individuality complex. However ofc, it’s not always the case. But I’ve often found myself thinking that if some of her releases more unpopular songs were released, people would like them a lot more. However, the lust for life demo will always stand superior

Just now, taco truck said:

Idk lol I always feel like this is a dumb thing people say… like maybe it’s true for some fans but majority of people just have their own tastes :toofunny:

Yes this is definitely true. I think it’s very nuanced, not so black and white as some people make it to be

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

do you just simply have a problem with people liking lana's unreleased songs/demos? because between this thread and the conversation that took place in the lust for life album process thread, it honestly seems like you do

Again, this isn't a thread about how fans prefer her unreleased music or listen to it. It is about my personal theory and ideas as to how biases and impression may form this tendency. Also another user syrup armor and other users have expressed that they agree with me, and they don't dislike people who listen to unreleased music. 

I enjoy her unreleased music. I prefer Melancholia to Ultraviolence myself.

16 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

it may have to do with people wanting to appear a bit contrarian, or perhaps there's a bit of recency-bias, something that is new and not as familiar to them may seem more appealing or better, but after a while they may feel differently once the dust has settled

it depends on how different the demo is compared to the released version, it would make sense why fans may have very different opinions about lust for life, let me love you like a woman, and their demos, lust for life was mellow, spacey, atmospheric, with thought-provoking and introspective lyrics, and became more of a conventional 2010s pop song with a feature, pink champagne was rock-inspired, 6 minutes long, reminiscent of classic rock songs from the 80s, and perfectly fit the sound and feel of the ultraviolence era, and it was changed into a sparse, acoustic, mellow ballad, one could understand why some people may prefer the demos, some would even consider them objectively better

it would make the most sense to say that the album versions are objectively the best, because they are the finished product, which are also properly mixed and mastered, but it also comes down to personal preference, for example, i prefer the demo version of million dollar man as opposed to the album version, because i think the album version is a little over-produced, the demo is raw in a way that almost sounds more natural and polished compared to the album version because i personally feel like the song works better as something more simple, sometimes less is more, but some demos can be really lacking, such as without you (demo 2), that song really shines with more production and a more polished sound

Yes!!!

And maybe I feel this way because I feel like I personally don’t act that way lol?? Like I’ve listened to thunder and TNBAR way more since they were released than when they were unreleased. The only time an unreleased song gets less plays after it’s released from me is when it’s a living legend/cherry blossom/notg situtation when nothing was changed to it and it’s not great quality:eek3: so to me it just seems like a made up thing.

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・