Viva

Do you think that Lana was really mistreated by US critics or she is exaggerating and valuing the critics for some other reason?

When I say critics I mean the ones that should be taken seriously not blogs like Hipster Runoff that made a living of trashing her daily. I think that Lana exaggerates and dramatizes a little too much. Okay Brian Williams called her "one of the worst [performers] in 'SNL' history" and blogs and some print journals used it as a punch line quite a lot. They criticizedher looks and surgeries and the fact that she had money. Wasn't the turmoil in part Lana's fault since she never responded? isn't good that her father could afford her a good education and help her achieve her dreams? Why that is taken like a bad thing or even shameful? The fact that she did tried and fail before and didn't give up an act of perseverance? Why would she not answer directly questions about that? Why is not seeing as a good thing the fact she didn't give up on dreams? Lana had lots of albuns sells in US and good ciritcs also which for some reason she never talks about like it was erased of her memory or something.

So is Lana a cry baby or is she right? Do you think she is right about not doing even a "mini" tour in US as a response? Do you think Lana's attitude towards it all feeded all the rumors?

glgcDdT.gif

I feel like in a way the US critics were treating her poorly but I also feel like she was/is being overly dramatic about it. There are celebrities who get treated WORSE than her and they aren't holding a grudge against an entire country because of it.

I'm not privy to all the facts, of course (and I don't necessarily remember all the facts that have been made public), and so most of what I could say is speculation on my part. I do think the media's initial response to Lana in the U.S. was uncalled for. But I don't think it's what inspired her to break identification with America -- more of a straw that broke the camel's back, I suspect.

The world can be a tough place for those who are sensitive and/or creative and/or intellectual, and Lana apparently is all three. Add to that an increasingly anti-intellectual bias in American society, and rumors that it is not as bad in Europe and elsewhere... it becomes tempting to some to explore other options. (I have felt that temptation myself.) Particularly if she has spent any time in the southern states... let's just say that females who don't take steps to hide their intelligence can feel like outcasts way before it occurs to them to journey elsewhere.

So who is doing the rejecting? Some would say Lana, for criticizing aspects of America. But does criticism equal rejection? (I know many people who would say yes. Actually, I know several people who would say that "critical thinking" is overly negative, that "making an argument" is divisive, and that "problem-naming" as a first step to problem-solving is being a troublemaker. But I digress. Or do I...?) Perhaps Lana sees the situation as HER being the one who has been rejected.

But last time I checked, she did have a few dates planned in New York and California, at least. So it's not like she's writing off the U.S. completely. I'm sure she knows she has fans here who love her. But if she's already nervous about performing live, and already feeling misunderstood/slandered/rejected in America, should she necessarily take the step of willingly combining them? Maybe she feels like she's already putting herself through what she's prepared to take on.

None of this necessarily adds up to a grudge against the U.S. as a whole, imo. I see her criticisms as valid points, from which Americans could learn something... or not. :)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

you've got to remember that different things affect different people. to her, it must of felt like she had to spend a day with beavis&butthead, was forced to eat her own crap and then kicked in the face by a donkey - unpleasant in other words. a lot of american critics were highly unjustified, and she didn't have to respond - why the hell should she?

4r9w86.jpg

Yes she was mistreated. Her performance on SNL was completely blown out of proportion. Yes we all agree it wasn't her best performance and many people felt that she was unfairly given the opportunity as only the second artist to be on SNL without having a recored released. Just bad timing. More people are watching SNL in January and because Harry Potter was the host it was a high-profile show.

She does get unfairly criticized because she got some help from her father, but parents do stuff like that for their kids all the time. Sure she came from some money, but there are lots of parents who bankroll athletic careers. Look at the parents of tennis players, and gymnasts and ice skaters. They don't get criticized and some of them come from money.

Lana is not a crybaby. If she's having more success in Europe now then that is where you go. I suspect she'll go to Asia as well. I don't think she hates America. Far from it. Being an American is what sells her in Europe.

America is the country of second chances. If Britney Spears can be get a second chance then Lana can also. Her music is good and she is a good person. She would easily sell out a smaller/club venue tour in the US. She sold over 500,000 records in the US. Lana may never be a top 40 radio phenom, but she can sell millions of records in the US during a career.

I really wish she would tour the US. I think she would see that thousands of us across the country would come to see her and she would have a successful tour. We don't expect her to sell out Joe Louis Arena or Madison Square Garden, but she would sell out small to medium-sized venues.

I think people, including myself, sometimes forget that famous people have feelings. If somebody insults me (always behind my back for some reason :uh: ) even if it's no massive deal and I don't even care about the person, it's a bit of a kick in the stomach so if Lana's got respected critics slagging her off, she has a right to get angry about it. I don't think she over reacts that much. It's not like she tries to stir up trouble - for example on the one-two-watch interview, they asked her what she'd say to her haters and she replied with "I don't think I'd say anything at all."

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

Her SNL performance garnered a lot of negative feedback and although it was a bad performance, not all of it was warranted. However, she's not the only performer in history to have a bad go at SNL, I thought it was so stupid people were calling it the "worst outing ever"- had they not seen Ashlee Simpson's first go or Ke$ha?? I must say it was dangerous for her to have performed at SNL so soon, relatively as an unknown- this would be many people's first impression of her- and it wasn't a good one, so I think some people were ready to write her off as another talent-less girl with a rich daddy to fund her career.

In a way though, the SNL critics helped people start talking about her, maybe not in the way she wanted, but she got our attention. She needs to remember that not all of her critics come from the US, she has so many fans here, and that not everyone is going to love her music and that's their right. Her grudge on the US is ridiculous and it really annoys me when I see people talk shit about the US just because Lana does...try thinking independently.

Also, I think she sometimes acts like she is too good for US radio, above all of the pop that dominates the airwaves. However, pop has been the forefront in music for quite some time and if she actually wanted to get more airplay, she needs to look at her label because they really fucked her in promotion. (Don't tell me Lana Del Rey cannot play in the states when Phillip Phillips and Christina Perri chart) So no, Lana, maybe your lack of success here (which isn't even true since she has one of the best selling albums in the US) is not due to the fact that the US doesn't understand good music (way to be humble btw), maybe it's because of your shitty label and lack of drive. ~~God Bless America~~

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I'm convinced Lana is right- the critics are wrong!

And it's understable that Lana complained about them!

Cause an artist needs time and space to get used to his environment.

In Lana case it was like that: hardly appeared, critics started hating!

So Lana absolutely has a point!

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥

I'm convinced Lana is right- the critics are wrong!

And it's understable that Lana complained about them!

Cause an artist needs time and space to get used to his environment.

In Lana case it was like that: hardly appeared, critics started hating!

So Lana absolutely has a point!

glgcDdT.gif

I'm not really sure why people are so outraged or even surprised by her reaction tbh. She strikes me as a deeply sensitive person, which of course has its advantages as shown through her thoughtful lyrics and just the way she approaches some questions in interviews. I think she's a strong person in many ways but I also think a real weakness of hers is accepting criticism. I know it seems like a really petty flaw, but I'm sure there's been a time for many of us where we've received criticism and inexplicably felt a deep, unjustified resentment towards the person who gave it to us. I feel like her problem might be like that but on a much wider scale. I'd react like such a little bitch if I was her tbh. Anyway, I sympathise with U.S fans but at the same time I feel exactly where Lana is coming from because, well, I'm human too.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I don't think she overreacted at all. Her album got torn apart and trashed. They made her a laughing stock on account of one mediocre performance (mediocre is hardly the word... if I had to perform on one of the biggest shows in the U.S. I would flop too.) They didn't bother to look into her background beyond two facts: her father is rich and she scored a record deal. They didn't care at all that she was a talented writer or that she had previously released an album that failed, so on and so forth.

Lana has a right to stick up for herself. Video Games was a Grammy-worthy song and her album was the best of 2012 (in my opinion). She graciously never responded to any of her critics. She doesn't need to exaggerate anything the critics said because their vicious comments were just that: vicious.

and i don't understand all these so called critics anyway, they're trying to enforce opinions on the public about musicians and that's not right. it's psychological manipulation if you ask me tbh.

4r9w86.jpg

Well the word says it all: Critics. Their existence is making critics. Some will like others won't. Some will be harsh others will be somewhat in the middle others will like it some will love it. That's life for everyone in bigger and smaller proportions we all have critics. I think they were quite hard on her but I also think she never give them reasons not to be. She never answer even if was joking about the whole situation an answer to any question. Some times she contradicts herself a little too much even for me as a fan and annoys me sometimes. I think her posture before the facts and the terrible job her marketing team/label are doing is the only thing in the way of her success. Lana should be bigger by now her songs are better than most pop artists.

Music is an industry, the medias is an industry, so are all the repporters and critics!

I can imagine, if some big boss didn't like Lana, he just told all of his clerks:

"hey,try to down Lana" and that's what they did - but they failed!

Cause lana is strong! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelanalikelife ♥Music For Lana&Lana's Fans♥

Music is an industry, the medias is an industry, so are all the repporters and critics!

I can imagine, if some big boss didn't like Lana, he just told all of his clerks:

"hey,try to down Lana" and that's what they did - but they failed!

Cause lana is strong! :D

She's not that strong, it depressed her.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

and i don't understand all these so called critics anyway, they're trying to enforce opinions on the public about musicians and that's not right. it's psychological manipulation if you ask me tbh.

That's definatly true. If I read a review on an artist and it has an overall negative view on them, I automatically have negative thoughts on the person/people if I haven't already heard them/know them.

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

That's definatly true. If I read a review on an artist and it has an overall negative view on them, I automatically have negative thoughts on the person/people if I haven't already heard them/know them.

T

glgcDdT.gif

When I was 14 years old I discover that you have to campaign for a movie to get to the Oscar's. Was the same sensation when I discover that Santa Claus didn't exist. Sad actually since I used to think they just voted the movies they like and the movie (actress/actor/music the whole thing) that more judges liked was the one who won.

Well you can't expect them to know of and watch every single movie that is released in the world.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.