Jump to content
Ultra Violet

Israel-Palestine conflict (Israel-Hamas war)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, bluechemtrails said:

damn, I think she just wanted to have a coke at the beach and there was no other option. I mean, you can boycott what you want, but you can't expect everyone else to know about that boycott or want to join it. Conversely, not boycotting does not necessarily mean support, and it's everyone's own decision.

That’s not what I’m saying😭😭😭

Her buying McDonalds doesn’t matter, I just used it as a springboard to talk about a larger issue


vi — ANGELS OF PORN II // NICOLE DOLLANGANGER

⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jukebox Sweetheart said:

My point isn’t that she should be expected to know about the boycotts. I’m trying to say that she should use her many resources to educate herself about Israel-Palestine and make some positive change rather than remaining ignorant. I think the issue is a lot bigger than this one selfie, which I don’t actually care about. Schumer and Schnapp are separate issues, they’re not going to change or educate themselves. But I think if Lana, Taylor, Beyonce, etc. did they could cause some genuinely

positive change. Obviously Lana isn’t necessarily as famous as Taylor or Beyonce, but she still has a huge platform. Personally, I think it’s the responsibility of celebrities to try to do good. That doesn’t necessarily mean researching every place that is being boycotted, but it does mean educating themselves and using their platform to speak out about what Palestine is experiencing. I’m not really mad at Lana, I still love her and her music. I just think that celebrities in general should use their platforms for good. This criticism I made of her doesn’t equate to hate, it’s just something I hope she can improve upon. But obviously, it’s a much wider issue than just Lana.

 

i didn't know about the boycotts, only the starbucks one vaguely, does that mean i'm ignorant? or that i'm not educating myself enough? maybe she just simply isn't on the internet enough to know about these things, and while, yes, she technically could go out of her way to learn more about it, it doesn't automatically mean she's going to know about one specific boycott (which won't really do anything in the first place, unless a substantial amount of people choose not to purchase from mcdonald's) we all have the ability to educate ourselves, and i think we should all be encouraged to do so, but our concerns shouldn't be a selfie of her with her mcdonald's order

 

celebrities certainly have a voice, and their voice can definitely be impactful but they aren't politicians, and i personally find it annoying when people think celebrities are morally obligated to speak out on every political/social/world issue in the book, we should be more concerned about joe biden's actions instead of random celebrities, our government and our politicians have way more impact on these things, and, honestly i don't expect most celebrities to really care all that much, most of them live totally different lives and existences and are probably are too blinded to see what goes on in the world outside of their bubble, taylor swift isn't going to do anything if it won't benefit her or her net worth


.。*゚+.*.。 T R U E  L O V E  2 0 2 0 。.*.+゚*。.

  . * ✧ .・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. * . ✧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

 

i didn't know about the boycotts, only the starbucks one vaguely, does that mean i'm ignorant? or that i'm not educating myself enough? maybe she just simply isn't on the internet enough to know about these things, and while, yes, she technically could go out of her way to learn more about it, it doesn't automatically mean she's going to know about one specific boycott (which won't really do anything in the first place, unless a substantial amount of people choose not to purchase from mcdonald's, we all have the ability to educate ourselves, and i think we should all be encouraged to do so, but our concerns shouldn't be a selfie of her with her mcdonald's order

 

celebrities certainly have a voice, and their voice can definitely be impactful but they aren't politicians, and i personally find it annoying when people think celebrities are morally obligated to speak out on every political/social/world issue in the book, we should be more concerned about joe biden's actions instead of random celebrities, and honestly i don't expect most celebrities to really care all that much, most of them live totally different lives and existences and are probably are too blinded to see what goes on in the world outside of their bubble, taylor swift isn't going to do anything if it won't benefit her or her net worth

I don’t think the average person needs to be aware of the boycotts or is a bad person from buying from Starbucks or McDonalds. I don’t even think Lana necessarily should know about the boycotts. Like I said before, the selfie is separate from my feelings, I felt this way before the selfie.

Especially with Israel-Palestine, the media and the government is so incredibly biased that if one important celebrity spoke out, they could have an enormous impact. I do think that celebrities are very ignorant and if they spoke out, they would probably say the wrong thing. But I just think that in an era where pro-Israel propaganda is so deeply ingrained in American society, any attention would be good attention. I do think that when a genocide is happening, people with power should try to acknowledge it.

I wanna end this by saying that I really admire you, you’re such a kind and articulate person on a website that can sometimes lack that. I appreciate having a back and forth. The fact that you’re educating yourself on Palestine now is very admirable and not something many would do.


vi — ANGELS OF PORN II // NICOLE DOLLANGANGER

⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jukebox Sweetheart said:

I don’t think the average person needs to be aware of the boycotts or is a bad person from buying from Starbucks or McDonalds. I don’t even think Lana necessarily should know about the boycotts. Like I said before, the selfie is separate from my feelings, I felt this way before the selfie.

Especially with Israel-Palestine, the media and the government is so incredibly biased that if one important celebrity spoke out, they could have an enormous impact. I do think that celebrities are very ignorant and if they spoke out, they would probably say the wrong thing. But I just think that in an era where pro-Israel propaganda is so deeply ingrained in American society, any attention would be good attention. I do think that when a genocide is happening, people with power should try to acknowledge it.

I wanna end this by saying that I really admire you, you’re such a kind and articulate person on a website that can sometimes lack that. I appreciate having a back and forth. The fact that you’re educating yourself on Palestine now is very admirable and not something many would do.

 

i apologize if i misunderstood your previous posts, your heart is in the right place and ultimately i believe most of us have our hearts in the right place, we might just not always agree or understand the ways we go about it, but regardless, we're all trying to make a difference and do the right thing, and it feels especially important to make different choices when so much is happening in our world, wars, conflict, division, and also the threat of the climate crisis, thankfully, more people are becoming aware of these things, but it seems like our world and our society is still so blind to everything happening and although i feel hopeful, i also very discouraged because it just seems like everything's getting worse and not enough people are really aware of it, but i do think it matters to be educated and to make better choices regarding where you spend your money and who you financially support if you're able to, and also educating others, and just being aware in general, i would agree that when something as awful as a genocide is occurring, we should be more compelled to speak out, and to care, we just get so wrapped up in our own lives, but we should care about others, especially those who's voices are silenced or stifled 


.。*゚+.*.。 T R U E  L O V E  2 0 2 0 。.*.+゚*。.

  . * ✧ .・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。. * . ✧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

 

i apologize if i misunderstood your previous posts, your heart is in the right place and ultimately i believe most of us have our hearts in the right place, we might just not always agree or understand the ways we go about it, but regardless, we're all trying to make a difference and do the right thing, and it feels especially important to make different choices when so much is happening in our world, wars, conflict, division, and also the threat of the climate crisis, thankfully, more people are becoming aware of these things, but it seems like our world and our society is still so blind to everything happening and although i feel hopeful, i also very discouraged because it just seems like everything's getting worse and not enough people are really aware of it, but i do think it matters to be educated and to make better choices regarding where you spend your money and who you financially support if you're able to, and also educating others, and just being aware in general, i would agree that when something as awful as a genocide is occurring, we should be more compelled to speak out, and to care, we just get so wrapped up in our own lives, but we should care about others, especially those who's voices are silenced or stifled 

Happy we could agree <3333


vi — ANGELS OF PORN II // NICOLE DOLLANGANGER

⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to celebrities to speak publicly on highly complex and nuanced military-political issues is stupid. People should go read actual literature on the topic (and horrors of what Israel is doing) and stop expecting Lana Del Rey/Taylor Swift/Sydney Sweeney to educate people on whatever you think they need to believe to make you feel better. 

 

 


0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I also point out that we're expecting a woman who has been constantly criticised and semi-cancelled throughout her career to care (or even, to know) about a McD's boycott

She's probably soooo desensitised to boycotts and cancellations - especially ones started on social media. Someone in her position HAS to ignore a lot of that kind of noise or she'd go crazy

I'm not saying that the idea behind it isn't valid, just that it's probably not the type of thing that's really on her radar and not because she's evil and horrible

I mean I have read and watched a LOT about this conflict and I had nfi about it (probably because I don't read Twitter or any shit)


ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jukebox Sweetheart said:

To me, the issue isn’t Lana buying McDonald’s this one time, it’s her continued ignorance. She has the time, money, and any other resources to make a genuine positive impact yet she chooses to remain ignorant. She can’t keep saying that she has good intentions while making no effort to demonstrate this.

 

spill


😋🫶🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mer said:

Looking to celebrities to speak publicly on highly complex and nuanced military-political issues is stupid. People should go read actual literature on the topic (and horrors of what Israel is doing) and stop expecting Lana Del Rey/Taylor Swift/Sydney Sweeney to educate people on whatever you think they need to believe to make you feel better. 

 

 

I personally believe that reading is the best form of educating yourself on certain topics, I've been reading a few Palestinian books that have been insightful. However, It's so hard to talk about these issues when you can literally lose jobs for doing the right thing. The fact Susan Sarandon lost her agency and Melissa Barrera lost a role on Scream VII makes me not blame some people for feeling silenced about this. My best friend's sister lost her job for speaking up on it. 

 

I personally don't speak out about it much due to the fact that there is d0xx1ng on the pro-israel side (look up Canary Mission),  but I have these conversations with my family and friends all the time to try and educate them. Half of my family is from Jordan, so it hits close to home to me that this is happening when you know the full history of the Middle East. That doesn't mean we know exactly what every single artist's views on this. Marina for example I remember posted pro-israel stuff at first, I think with enough education and resources she's posted a lot about the genocide in Gaza. 

 

I think getting mad at these celebrities who might be just ignorant is a stretch, like I would rather be mad at Selma Blair, Timothee Chalamet, or Jamie Lee Curtis for their opinions than Lana. I think it defeats the purpose of a lot of things for chastising celebrities over silly stuff like a McDonalds coke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just disband the UNSC? It's USELESS

The US is just going to keep vetoing a ceasefire for this or that obscure reason

No wonder there is so much anger in the region towards the west. People are dying in Gaza as I type and the US (and others) are all, "nah, let's wait" as if they're deciding what time to go see a movie or smthn

Disgust. 


ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2024 at 2:54 PM, Rorman Nockwell said:

Can we just disband the UNSC? It's USELESS

The US is just going to keep vetoing a ceasefire for this or that obscure reason

No wonder there is so much anger in the region towards the west. People are dying in Gaza as I type and the US (and others) are all, "nah, let's wait" as if they're deciding what time to go see a movie or smthn

Disgust. 

 

can the Security Council oust the USA? there's legitimately zero point to the USA being on it, since all it wants to do is use the Council to further its Zionist political agenda.


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here's a really good Telegram thread chronicling the war in Palestine.

 

note: it is antizionist (which, to me, is great; but i know we have prozionists here who might get bent out of shape over that.)

 

 

https://t.me/PalestineResist


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not to start shit, but i'm really annoyed with how many people expect/want celebrities to talk about this subject. no celebrity is required to say something about something you care about, which i'd like to argue half the people in the internet didn't care about a 100+ year war until october 7th. i mean, people can't even dictate the difference between being anti-hamas doesnt mean being anti-palestine people. you expect celebrities who aren't permanently online to care about the same shit you do? come on. they're job is to entertain, not be activists for something they can literally do nothing about.

nothing lana del rey does or says is going to stop a war that's been going on since the 1940's.

stop expecting so much from people you don't know.


~INSTA1.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Imagine shooting people trying to obtain essential aid in a war zone

Disgust (again)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-01/gaza-death-toll-surpasses-30000-after-deadly-incident-gaza-city/103530904

Shocking, Israel just claiming anything happened instead of admitting they were shooting them.

 

See the guy who they drove over in a tank and squashed into the ground as well, he still had the zip tie on his arm showing they had him as a prisoner and just done that on purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

Imagine shooting people trying to obtain essential aid in a war zone

Disgust (again)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-01/gaza-death-toll-surpasses-30000-after-deadly-incident-gaza-city/103530904

heard this on the radio yesterday, which then had the audacity to bring up hamas in the same 15 seconds. this was so clearly palestinian people and there is no evidence of any “mobbing”. i feel like i can’t trust any news sources these days, it’s a joke. 


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2024 at 12:17 AM, cheaptrailertrashglm said:

not to start shit, but i'm really annoyed with how many people expect/want celebrities to talk about this subject. no celebrity is required to say something about something you care about, which i'd like to argue half the people in the internet didn't care about a 100+ year war until october 7th. i mean, people can't even dictate the difference between being anti-hamas doesnt mean being anti-palestine people. you expect celebrities who aren't permanently online to care about the same shit you do? come on. they're job is to entertain, not be activists for something they can literally do nothing about.

nothing lana del rey does or says is going to stop a war that's been going on since the 1940's.

stop expecting so much from people you don't know.

 

1. A LOT of people cared about Palestine. Some since its (Israel's) founding as an ethnostate and some over the past few decades of Israel stomping on Palestine's neck.

2. You don't need to be "permanently online" to know about this conflict

3. Nobody is expecting celebrities to END the war, what we're expecting is that they don't do things to further the Zionist agenda along AND don't try and benefit monetarily from an ethnostate. Also celebrities contributed to the end of the South African apartheid regime. (They didn't bring it about on their own and people in South Africa did much of the work, but celebs brought the cruelty of that regime to the world.)


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, baddisease said:

 

1. A LOT of people cared about Palestine. Some since its (Israel's) founding as an ethnostate and some over the past few decades of Israel stomping on Palestine's neck.

2. You don't need to be "permanently online" to know about this conflict

3. Nobody is expecting celebrities to END the war, what we're expecting is that they don't do things to further the Zionist agenda along AND don't try and benefit monetarily from an ethnostate. Also celebrities contributed to the end of the South African apartheid regime. (They didn't bring it about on their own and people in South Africa did much of the work, but celebs brought the cruelty of that regime to the world.)

most of the "activists" online don't care. they care because it's performative and benefits them and gets them likes. I'm not saying people didn't care about Palestine EVER, because plenty of people did, but soon people will move on to the next "cool" thing to be activists for.

I stand by my statement. Celebrities can do nothing. We don't know them and nothing they do or anything we do will actually do anything about this war because Hamas doesn't give a shit. They won't stop because that's what terrorists do. Hamas doesn't care what Lana Del Rey has to say. They want Jews and Palestinians eradicated.


~INSTA1.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cheaptrailertrashglm said:

most of the "activists" online don't care. they care because it's performative and benefits them and gets them likes. I'm not saying people didn't care about Palestine EVER, because plenty of people did, but soon people will move on to the next "cool" thing to be activists for.

I stand by my statement. Celebrities can do nothing. We don't know them and nothing they do or anything we do will actually do anything about this war because Hamas doesn't give a shit. They won't stop because that's what terrorists do. Hamas doesn't care what Lana Del Rey has to say. They want Jews and Palestinians eradicated.

you can’t say most activists don’t care that’s just incorrect lol, some sure, but most- nope

celebrities can do things, bella hadid for example has been speaking on this for years and had quite a positive influence. huda beauty speaking out put a lot of pressure on other beauty brands too, as people flocked to buy huda beauty and boycott other brands. these things do make a difference! 

 

i do not think celebrities should HAVE to speak on subjects they don’t want to, but we have the right to be disappointed with the lack of support celebrities give palestine especially when these same celebrities have no problem talking about ukraine or other political topics. i’m not angry at any celebrities, or surprised, it’s just disappointing, that’s how most of us feel, which is literally valid.

 

the phrasing of this is all very telling.

 

from the river to the sea 🇵🇸 


giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...