Make me your Dream Life

Do you Interpret Lana’s Music Differently Based Off Of Where You Live?

It’s a long title, so title. 

Like how Lana might mention May/ seasons. Or references heavily, primarily based in American imagery etc. 

Does living anywhere else than America, or possibly even more so if you’re in America, or just environmentally impact how you listen to Lana’s music? 

UV/Honeymoon

Yes, living in the Southern hemisphere, Lana's albums are released in opposite seasons. Ultraviolence will therefore always be a mostly winter album for me, and Honeymoon a spring album. But that's also heavily impacted by me listening to them on repeat at the times they were released.

But when she sings about July, for example, I'm not going to think of our winters here because it's much more obvious in her lyrics. It's just an experience I don't have (July being summer, and therefore being a big celebratory time to be outside). so I don't really relate a lot of her lyrics to my own life, like all the locations she mentions too. It's just imaginary to me :teehee:

well a lot of her musical references have made me want to visit the places she sings of.. coney island, the chateau marmot, some random ass Alabama gas station and motel, or the florida keys for example. so there’s that

Pearl-praying.webp?fit=300,200&ssl=1

gZ0f.gif

Not really. I'm a big big fan of geography so her music is like a map for me, I travel to whatever place or season or weather she sings about.

Born to Die though, despite being released in the summer for me, will always be a a winter album (and her only so far, imo).

Idk why but Paradise is always associated with Winter in my mind, simply because they remind me of Florida winters? Winter especially on the coastline is very festive and comfy but there's a certain type of excitement and carefree vibe because you can still go to the beach, walk barefoot, get a tan and be wild. There's also a certain type of glamour I feel during winter that makes me think of Paradise. 

tumblr_n9t9baKLaK1sj5r1lo1_500.gif

I always find it fascinating when she sings about California. I think this distant, sunny state has a greater appeal here in cold Central Europe than on the East Coast of the USA, for example. Even when she sings about the beach or the sea. I only know both from occasional vacations, and they are beautiful places that you like to hear about. :wubna:

12 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

I always find it fascinating when she sings about California. I think this distant, sunny state has a greater appeal here in cold Central Europe than on the East Coast of the USA, for example. Even when she sings about the beach or the sea. I only know both from occasional vacations, and they are beautiful places that you like to hear about. :wubna:

I’m midwest USA (never seen the ocean, I’m cold more than I’m hot, theres not a ton of action here) so I get what you mean (not as drastically I’m sure), its almost like viewing these places and other things she sings about as some sort of mythical heaven and I get more of a broad, longing, feeling telling me I’m missing out sometimes. I’m so curious how people from Los Angeles or whatever feel listening! I imagine its so personal and anthem-esque. To listen to NFR album going from Laurel Canyon to Venice Beach, or going down the PCH? To play Bel Air in your hometown Bel Air? To not dream about these places and weather and live it like… I’m melodramatic maybe that must add a different angle! 

1 hour ago, bluechemtrails said:

this is so wholesome

1 hour ago, lannisterpussy said:

I listen to i can fly whenever i’m on a plane

I made a playlist for flying and NFR goes really well with it imo, I get what you mean.

looking out at the clouds, or the patterning of the water. love song and the title track's so perfect for it imo

UV/Honeymoon

I would like to say -- obviously there is no comparison, but still -- Mar del Plata is like the "Los Angeles" of Argentina. It had its incredible golden age of cinema and theater, it used to be an elegant place where people would go to make it big, it's the "dream life" of many since it's the second most touristic city in the country (after Buenos Aires, of course) and it's a coastal city. Nights are particularly bright and beautiful, and the younger generations lean towards the artistic.

Not to ignore the fact that it became an unsafe place recently, and poverty increased.

Pin en Mar del Plata - Argentina

Fotos de Argentina 🇦🇷 on Instagram: “Mar Del Plata 🌆🌇 📸 Ph: @ciancco  👉 Via: @tripinargentina . . … | Mar del plata playa, Mar del plata,  Ciudades de argentina

Qué son los organismos que iluminaron el mar en el norte de Mar del Plata |  Argentina.gob.ar

5 barrios en donde vivir en Mar del Plata - Datos, análisis y consejos  sobre ciudades y el mercado inmobiliario - Argentina | PROPERATI

No hay ninguna descripción de la foto disponible.

Old photo; very NFR!

Cómo era Mar del Plata hace 53 años y qué se pensaba a futuro | Parabrisas

It's my favorite city.

Just now, PARADIXO said:

I would like to say -- obviously there is no comparison, but still -- Mar del Plata is like the "Los Angeles" of Argentina. It had its incredible golden age of cinema and theater, it used to be an elegant place where people would go to make it big, it's the "dream life" of many since it's the second most touristic city in the country (after Buenos Aires, of course) and it's a coastal city. Nights are particularly bright and beautiful, and the younger generations lean towards the artistic.

Not to ignore the fact that it became an unsafe place recently, and poverty increased.

Pin en Mar del Plata - Argentina

Fotos de Argentina 🇦🇷 on Instagram: “Mar Del Plata 🌆🌇 📸 Ph: @ciancco  👉 Via: @tripinargentina . . … | Mar del plata playa, Mar del plata,  Ciudades de argentina

Qué son los organismos que iluminaron el mar en el norte de Mar del Plata |  Argentina.gob.ar

5 barrios en donde vivir en Mar del Plata - Datos, análisis y consejos  sobre ciudades y el mercado inmobiliario - Argentina | PROPERATI

No hay ninguna descripción de la foto disponible.

Old photo; very NFR!

Cómo era Mar del Plata hace 53 años y qué se pensaba a futuro | Parabrisas

It's my favorite city.

this is gorgeous. I'd love to experience Lana's HM or OB there 

UV/Honeymoon

11 minutes ago, Make me your Dream Life said:

this is gorgeous. I'd love to experience Lana's HM or OB there 

Yes!

the biggest difference though is that summers are not as hot there, and winters can be brutal (it even snows every now and then). Still great weather.

Just now, PARADIXO said:

Yes!

the biggest difference though is that summers are not as hot there, and winters can be brutal (it even snows every now and then). Still great weather.

surprisingly, never thought about snow when it came to Lana's music except for BTD, but I think if the summer's are softer, it'd probably be a better fit for OB, nicee

UV/Honeymoon

Yesss honeymoon gives me late summer September vibe in a california sense. It’s still hot and sunny but starting to cool off with a breeze during the later hours.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄