rocknrollgroupie

Lana Del Rey and Quavo “Tough” - OUT NOW!

1 hour ago, barttttender said:

With 1.6 million streams per day, Tough outstreams the below tracks on Spoitfy. Next up: Honeymoon, Tomorrow Never Came and Beautiful People.
It'll probably reach Lana's top 50 songs in a month or two, which is a massive success. 85th song of her career in just 4 weeks so far! Mind you, Honeymoon (song) has been out for 10 years. That just shows you how big this song is.

Religion
71,880,331    42,527
Summertime Sadness - Sped Up
70,761,374    48,737
Yayo
70,182,734    25,659

besides all these numbers, I don't have the feeling that the song was very successful. maybe in the first week

and it doesn't help to compare with older songs, because Spotify had far less listeners years ago

1 minute ago, grandpas glass said:

besides all these numbers, I don't have the feeling that the song was very successful. maybe in the first week

It’s still in the Billboard 100 and her label is apparently pushing it to radio airplay

11 minutes ago, grandpas glass said:

and it doesn't help to compare with older songs, because Spotify had far less listeners years ago

Well, it's getting more daily listens than Summertime Sadness - the biggest hit of her career.  And those numbers has been steady for 4 weeks.

It's been on Billboard for 3 weeks, and will surely stay there for week 4. Only 4 Lana songs have stayed on charted for that long (Summertime Remix, Y&B, Snow on the Beach and Don't Call Me Angel).  Hence, if it makes it to week 4, it'll be the 5th longest charting song of her career. That's longer than Say Yes to Heaven, West Coast, High by the Beach, Lust for Life, Love, Prisoner, Doin' Time, etc. If you don't think that's a success, I don't know what you expected exactly?

It also peaked higher than Say Yes to Heaven, and only 5 songs have peaked higher than Tough overall (West Coast + the four I mentioned above). Mind you, West Coast was out after 2 weeks on the chart only, and that was at the height of her fame (Born to Die/Paradise era had just ended).

I know there are a lot of Tough haters around here, but objectively speaking, this is a hit. Not to mention it's now been sent to radios, too.

18 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Well, it's getting more daily listens than Summertime Sadness - the biggest hit of her career.  And those numbers has been steady for 4 weeks.

It's been on Billboard for 3 weeks, and will surely stay there for week 4. Only 4 Lana songs have stayed on charted for that long (Summertime Remix, Y&B, Snow on the Beach and Don't Call Me Angel).  Hence, if it makes it to week 4, it'll be the 5th longest charting song of her career. That's longer than Say Yes to Heaven, West Coast, High by the Beach, Lust for Life, Love, Prisoner, Doin' Time, etc. If you don't think that's a success, I don't know what you expected exactly?

It also peaked higher than Say Yes to Heaven, and only 5 songs have peaked higher than Tough overall (West Coast + the four I mentioned above). Mind you, West Coast was out after 2 weeks on the chart only, and that was at the height of her fame (Born to Die/Paradise era had just ended).

I know there are a lot of Tough haters around here, but objectively speaking, this is a hit. Not to mention it's now been sent to radios, too.

certainly one of the biggest successes in her career for a single song

but i doubt it will end up on any year-end-list, for example. it's now #92 on spotify global and keeps dropping....

4 minutes ago, grandpas glass said:

but i doubt it will end up on any year-end-list, for example. it's now #92 on spotify global and keeps dropping....

I mean, not every song needs to be on a year-end list to be deemed a success. Some just need to be bops, gets some radio play and good streaming numbers, and be part of the pop culture conversation. What's more, she's just had that massive critical success with A&W, complete with 2 Grammy nominations.

For me, a peak on 33 in the US, plus high ranking in countries around the world + 4 weeks of charting, is more than enough to solidify Tough as a big win for Lana this decade.

I'll also remind you that none of the some 50 songs off her last three records had anywhere near the commercial success of Tough, and had zero radio play. So, we needed Tough, and it delivered. Mission accomplished, and we can now move on.

6 hours ago, grandpas glass said:

Idk why you make it seems like it’s a bad thing :toofunny:. It spent a whole month in the top 100 that’s more than 98% of L4na’s songs. The 3 Ocean Blvd songs that charted: Candy Necklace spent 1 day in the top 100 :rip:. Ocean Blvd (title track) spent a total of… 3 days in the top 100. A&W spent… 6 days. Let The Light In never even reached the top 200. All her recent releases in the streaming era that charted spent 1 to 6 days inside the top 100 lol (including all the NFR songs). We don’t even need to talk about the pandemic albums because that didn’t even chart anywhere :toofunny:. Her pre-streaming releases like Young And Beautiful spent only 31 days in the top 200. It didn’t even peak inside the top 100 on Spotify. It peaked at #155. That’s one of her most streamed songs. 

I wasn’t even exaggerating when I said 98 percent because the only other songs that did this well on Spotify were Summertime Sadness and Say Yes To Heaven. 2 songs. That’s right 2 in her entire discography. Make it 3 songs now with Tough. These are the only songs that have managed to linger this long on the Spotify Top 200. 

I’m just hoping the success of “Tough” carry through to the next era. Her lead doing worse than Tough would be embarrassing. That’s not out of the realm of possibility either. And I know some people here want songs like Henry but that sounds like another 1 day then -OUT type of song.

3 hours ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

Idk why you make it seems like it’s a bad thing :toofunny:. It spent almost a month in the top 100 that’s more than 99% of L4na’s songs. The 3 Ocean Blvd songs that charted: Candy Necklace spent 1 day in the top 100 :rip:. Ocean Blvd spent a total of… 3 days in the top 100. A&W spent… 6 days. Let The Light In never even reached the top 200. All her recent releases in the streaming era that charted spent 1 to 6 days inside the top 100 lol. Her pre-streaming releases like Young and Beautiful spent only 31 days in the top 200. It didn’t even peak inside the top 100 on Spotify. It peaked at #155. That’s one of her most streamed songs. 

I wasn’t even exaggerating when I said 99 percent because the only other song that did this well on Spotify was Say Yes To Heaven. 1 song. That’s right 1 in her entire discography. Make it 2 songs now with Tough. That’s the only songs that have managed to linger this long on the Spotify Top 200. 

I’m just hoping the success of “Tough” carry through to the next era. Her lead doing worse than Tough would be embarrassing. That’s not out of the realm of possibility either. And I know some people here wants songs like Henry but that sounds like another 1 day then -OUT type of song.

like I said, for her career it's a good result

but you also have to consider that it's an "equal" collab (I mean no featuring like DCMA, with many additional Quavo listeners), that Lana is now (or again) one of the top artists and that it's an atypical genre mix

and considering how many authors were involved, in my view the song wasn't that outstanding in relative terms, but certainly better than many others

but if it gets on the radio, it could perhaps become the hoped-for summer hit

for example, I think "Let The Light" and "Margaret" were relatively more successful because they were more unexpected as album songs, even if they didn't have as many streams

17 hours ago, grandpas glass said:

like I said, for her career it's a good result

but you also have to consider that it's an "equal" collab (I mean no featuring like DCMA, with many additional Quavo listeners), that Lana is now (or again) one of the top artists and that it's an atypical genre mix

and considering how many authors were involved, in my view the song wasn't that outstanding in relative terms, but certainly better than many others

but if it gets on the radio, it could perhaps become the hoped-for summer hit

for example, I think "Let The Light" and "Margaret" were relatively more successful because they were more unexpected as album songs, even if they didn't have as many streams

how many authors were involved is such a mute point tho. Every song beyonce has ever released has like 11 writers on it. It's a miracle that Lana has more success than / as much success as beyonce in the streaming era, given how she writes most of her songs on her own.

You (and others) are selling tough short. It was never going to be Summertime Sadness-level smash. That's a straight-up pop song. Tough is a country/rap mix that was never going to be everyone's cuppa. But it sure as hell did well, especially given lana's previous spotify chart entries, like the user above astutely pointed out.

again, it's doing more streams on spotify daily than summertime. Do you have any idea how hard it is for a pop star pushing 40 to dethrone her top charting single on streaming in the same year beyonce, billie, dua and others dropped their singles? It's actually a miracle. (See how Katy Perry's latest has done by comparison).

not even love or doin' time, her poppiest songs in years, managed to hold up this well. 

another mute point is that it's a collab. No one has ever complained when katy perry's bon appetite with migos made a huge splah - just because it's not a solo song. These points youre making are circumstantial. 

On 8/1/2024 at 9:27 AM, barttttender said:

ate :xcry:

5 minutes ago, blackestday x tough said:

Tough slander is just a sign that some people here can't stand the fact that her last boring flop songs never get the recognition that tough gets. 

Tough is a top Ten lana masterpiece. 

:brigitte:

2 hours ago, blackestday x tough said:

Tough slander is just a sign that some people here can't stand the fact that her last boring flop songs never get the recognition that tough gets. 

:eek3:, I like Tough but even that is a bold thing to say lol.

5 hours ago, blackestday x tough said:

Ummm i wouldn't go that  far though lol

😅 Top 30 or 35 maybe.

but yeah, the way some people hype up songs like Fingertips, Flipside, or Interlude: the Trio, but slam Tough is insane

6 hours ago, blackestday x tough said:

Tough is a nice song and chart hit like DCMA, but for me it won't be more than a summer 2024 song

Lana's album songs are almost timeless

also i like SYTH much more, the song charted without any MV, collab help or promo. has still over 1 million daily streams!

I just got her TikTok with the Tough music video clip on my FYP today, love how it was posted 3 weeks after the song was released 😂

Still hoping it goes to radio, it’s her most radio accessible song out of her recent work imho