Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Motel 6 - crappy instrumental provided by Bookbinder

I don't believe that you think this is terrible. You know it's not. There are some really interesting voicings and the progression really adds a lot to the melody, it's not predictable or generic at all, and it moves very nicely. The "it's a party" change is really great, i like how the tension is resolved there. Very nice.   

What are the chords? Is there a minor 9th in there?? 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

The problem (or fun part) of Lana being acapella recording these is that she has no progression to stick to, so I had to really try and formulate a chord progression.

The main problem with Motel 6 is that the verses are in C# minor, but the chorus is in C minor. 

She builds up to this huge C# minor chorus and then just drops a halfstep, and that just doesn't sound right to me.

I do however LOVE the G minor chord she ends the song with randomly. It's very sexy. :P

X----into me, into you----X

The problem (or fun part) of Lana being acapella recording these is that she has no progression to stick to, so I had to really try and formulate a chord progression.

You did well, i don't think what you wrote really follows any "implied harmony" in what she's doing, which makes this sound more interesting. 

The main problem with Motel 6 is that the verses are in C# minor, but the chorus is in C minor. 

She builds up to this huge C# minor chorus and then just drops a halfstep, and that just doesn't sound right to me.

Nothing wrong with that, sounds awesome to me! Modulating a half step is a Beach Boys classic. I, of course, would love to think that this seeped into Lizzy’s consciousness through listening to them, but, uh, maybe her pitch just unintentionally wandered down a half step because she wasn’t singing to anything.  :blush:

You didn’t answer though--what are the chords? GIVE US THE CHORDS OF YOUR OWN CREATION, LANABOARDS CHORD MAN! 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

It's quite nice. Eerie, as it should be.

I made my version too, I put Government Hooker's instrumental under it. It sounds divine (at least to me because I made it to my liking, lol)