Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

The No Kung Fu version of Put Me In a Movie shits all over the AKA version.

I think the early mix bulldozes them both, the new lyric and the addition of the high vocals. Best of both worlds. Love the intro on NKF, though. Really, those six songs are all just ace.

NKF> AKA > Acoustic Demo = Paradise

This exactly. Although I like them all. Eh, I'd probably put Paradise ahead of the acoustic.

I would never want to see Delicious released on an album, but I can't believe all the hate it gets. What's not to love about Lana getting sassy and being that bitch that you can't fuck with... :whitney:

Also Big Bad Wolf is fun and catchy as hell. Why all the hating on her less serious songs?

Since I haven’t been around in this amazing (and amazingly confusing) world of Lana’s for very long, I don’t really know which of my opinions qualify as unpopular ones. I’ll just have to go by what I’ve picked up while exploring Lanaboards, combined with pure guesses. So here’s what might make you people question my intelligence, personality, hearing abilities or whatever:

1. I like Big Bad Wolf, Brite Lites, Dark Paradise, Oh Can You See, Gangsta Boy, Jealous Girl and her versions of Blue Velvet and The Happiest Girl In the Whole USA. I like them a lot. To give you some perspective: I strongly prefer all of them over songs like Blue Jeans, Gramma, National Anthem, Mermaid Motel, Summertime Sadness and Trash Magic.

2. Radio (Demo) >> Radio

3. Video Games and Ride are two of my absolute favorite Lana songs (I refuse to believe that this opinion isn’t somewhat unpopular among you, since it’s so ridiculously popular!)

4. Try Tonight is the peak of Sirens.

5. I hate her nails, but I’m not bothered at all by her “lack” of boobs.

I’m going to finish with something that makes me hate myself. A small and very selfish part of me (very small, mark my words, but still it’s there) doesn’t want her to be TOO happy, in fear of what that might do to her songwriting. There, I said it. Luckily, 98% of me still wish her all the luck and happiness in the world.

I think the lyrics on Paradise have been too magnified compared to her other lyrics, as if it was such an awful regression. I don't see what makes "Springsteen is the king, don't you think? / I was like 'Hell yeah that guy can sing'" so much more offensive than "I'm coming over baby, you can't go to school today".

I think the lyrics on Paradise have been too magnified compared to her other lyrics, as if it was such an awful regression. I don't see what makes "Springsteen is the king, don't you think? / I was like 'Hell yeah that guy can sing'" so much more offensive than "I'm coming over baby, you can't go to school today".

for sure Dum Dum isn't so much better than American on paper, I don't think her writing is incredibly different but it can sound a little ridiculous in the wrong setting. probably American's classic love song sound wouldn't fit the lyrics of most of Lana's pop or hip hop-esque songs.

2. Radio (Demo) >> Radio

Yes.

I think the lyrics on Paradise have been too magnified compared to her other lyrics, like it was such an awful regression. I don't see what makes "Springsteen is the king, don't you think? / I was like 'Hell yeah that guy can sing'" so much more offensive than "I'm coming over baby, you can't go to school today".

Yes! Preach. I mean, even lyrics on BTD are complete shit so I don't understand why people trashed Paradise's lyrics so much. I mean, "Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise..." That's fucking retarded. I personally believe people were just thrown off by the slight change of style in her writing that it became a bad thing because people hate change. The lyrics aren't her strongest here, but they certainly aren't her weakest. I think American is a very well written song. Just because there isn't a creative and visual metaphor in every other line doesn't mean the lyrics are lazy or bad.

14417469274.gif

I don't like the fact that she sold both in raw numbers and in proportion to population more records in the UK versus the US. I wish she was more popular in the US than in the UK. Sometimes my own countrymen amaze me with their ignorance.

Yes! Preach. I mean, even lyrics on BTD are complete shit so I don't understand why people trashed Paradise's lyrics so much. I mean, "Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise..." That's fucking retarded. I personally believe people were just thrown off by the slight change of style in her writing that it became a bad thing because people hate change. The lyrics aren't her strongest here, but they certainly aren't her weakest. I think American is a very well written song. Just because there isn't a creative and visual metaphor in every other line doesn't mean the lyrics are lazy or bad.

I wouldn't go that far :teehee: I just don't think she has to be the lyricist of our generation :P Paradise certainly isn't at her worst. Allow me to pick on Madrigal (I love you, boo, but come on), who I believe it was that said "Backfire" is better than anything on the album based on the principle of its songwriting/"boxing in" of her aesthetic.

"SALVATORE, YOU CAN DEFF BE MY BABY BOO"

Not to mention the mafia lyrics boxing her in :teehee:

I wouldn't go that far :teehee: I just don't think she has to be the lyricist of our generation :P Paradise certainly isn't at her worst. Allow me to pick on Madrigal (I love you, boo, but come on), who I believe it was that said "Backfire" is better than anything on the album based on the principle of its songwriting/"boxing in" of her aesthetic.

Hai I'm ur biggest phan 2 but....

"SALVATORE, YOU CAN DEFF BE MY BABY BOO" > "HELL YEAH, THAT GUY CAN SING"

Point taken. :creep:

I hate her re-release of Yayo in the Paradise Edition. It was fine the first time and then she sort of slapped it in the face and said, you dont quiver your vocals enough and then began to over do the quivering...

Sorry, i love you Lana but for gods sake you ruined that one for me

lH7Zs6V.gif      

I hate her re-release of Yayo in the Paradise Edition. It was fine the first time and then she sort of slapped it in the face and said, you dont quiver your vocals enough and then began to over do the quivering...

Sorry, i love you Lana but for gods sake you ruined that one for me

That's actually a very popular opinion.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I love Lana, I really do, but her self-made early music videos including shots of herself are cringeworthy. I'm not even sorry to say this.

First of all, the camera she uses (probably the cheapest digicam she could grab or maybe even a phone) doesn't do the video's quality any favor, and it is not helpful to have random furnishing from the 1990s in the background when you try to convince the viewer that the overall odd scene is taking place in an ancient, somehow vintage-ish, setting.

Next thing: the hooker wigs. What was she thinking?

Also, what's up with the lighting? Since when do desk lamps qualify as appropriate light sources for attempted cinematic productions.

Quintessentially, I am glad she's now having people around her knowing what they do.

I love Lana, I really do, but her self-made early music videos including shots of herself are cringeworthy. I'm not even sorry to say this.

First of all, the camera she uses (probably the cheapest digicam she could grab or maybe even a phone) doesn't do the video's quality any favor, and it is not helpful to have random furnishing from the 1990s in the background when you try to convince the viewer that the overall odd scene is taking place in an ancient, somehow vintage-ish, setting.

Also, what's up with the lighting? Since when do desk lamps qualify as appropriate light sources for attempted cinematic productions.

Quintessentially, I am glad she's now having people around her knowing what they do.

I love the homemade videos the are so interesting and so unique like no other artist would do that

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Hmm, it's been a while since i've read a post in which i am in complete disagreement with every single aspect and detail, as well as the way in which the opinion has been formed.

It seems to me that you're projecting your thoughts and values on aesthetics onto her process, and assuming that she was attempting to approach her music videos in the same way you would have made them. How do you know her point was to a) take into account cinematographic considerations and quality in the same way that a director of photography on a film set would, and b) "convince the viewer that the overall odd scene is taking place in an ancient, somehow vintage-ish, setting"?

I've always taken her videos as a melding of old and new, past and present, and i think that point comes through pretty clearly when watching them. There is a considerable span of time and culture that is seen throughout all her videos. I don't see any evidence anywhere that she is trying to hide or distort time/era/place in the shots of herself. Also, did you forget, perhaps the most telling and obvious example, Video Games, which is replete with footage of skaters, paparazzi shots of young actress Paz de la Huerta, and, of course, contemporary video games?

As for the hooker wigs, you may have missed this detail, but Lana Del Rey and kitsch are inextricable.

I've said this a few times on here before and i'll say it again because it pertains exactly to this: Lana Del Rey is a quintessential postmodern artists. That whole "vintage" aesthetic that people love to reduce her to is stifling and, most importantly, not even accurate--there is no way that someone like her could have existed in any other time but the present. She's not just rehashing old tropes. I wouldn't be here right now if that's what she was about.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I can't say I love it more than the original,

but I absolutely love the new Yayo. The piano,

the burlesque/jazzy vocals. The only thing missing

to make it perfect is the "lined with yellow lights on

a dark night (niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight)".