Sitar

Lana Del Rey Officially Announces TROPICO, "Coming to a City Near You"

:eek:

its funny that you should say this as i start to pull myself back and wonder if i'm being ridiculous or if the way i feel about lana is really.. actually warranted, in an objective sense? IS she really as good as i think she is? am i turning into a body electrician? does objectivism actually exist? i have this idea of her as being an actual genius and i don't know if its true. for instance, we all praise the ride video as being a fucking masterpiece .. but i wonder how much of it was her own version, and how much of it was anthony mandler's? is her work really, actually meaningful in its intent? or is it only meaningful in our own personal assessments? i'm getting dangerously close to entering that infinite loop of "what is art"? but i'm just wondering if maybe we are a bit blinded by the visuals and/or our affections for her as a person, or as an 'artist'? tropico is kind of a huge venture outside of her usual realm now that i think about it .. i hope it only solidifies my opinion of her as a 'genius' 

I ask myself these same questions sometimes and could probably write a huge-ass text about it but I'm lazy so fuck that.

I think it's possible to be objective while evaluating musical quality, at least to some extent; then again, stuff like 'meaningful lyricism' is so damn subjective & dependent on personal taste...

Anyway, about Lana & in all honesty, I would never go as far as calling her a  genius tbh. She has an interesting vision &  imo her main talent is her ability to create a very vivid imagery / mood with her lyrics in most of her songs; I think the music videos are an extension of that, and even if she's not responsible for every single artistic decision, I do think the concept / general idea behind each video is all hers. That being said, I think she has a few limitations in terms of her songwriting abilities & is probably more of a writer than a musician (In a way).

So I guess that's my attempt at unbiased & 'objective' criticism, but I don't think that's worth more than any other personal opinion tbh. Ultimately you like what you like, and that's it.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I also read this, and as far as I'm aware there's no Whitman poem called 'Farewell'. There is however one called 'Good-bye my fancy' which has the line 'farewell dear mate, dear love'; it's the last poem in Leaves of Grass and in it he basically says goodbye to his imagination or inspiration. Someone said to me that this poem is also known as 'Farewell'; no idea if that's true or not.

But imo her 'farewell' definitely has a similar meaning -- closure of an era / project, saying goodbye to BTD/Paradise and its whole underlying concept.

That's interesting 'saying goodbye to his imagination or inspiration' regarding the interview Lana just done where she said she's lost inspiration. Hoping this is what she means, and just takes a 6 month break like she said to find inspiration again.

tumblr_mucs0g8rNl1skf1lro1_250.gif

I do think most of the ideas are hers, she said that Anthony really gets her and together they can bring her vision to life, so I do think that Lana meant to put meaning behind those pretty pictures and that much of the video came from her ideas. I wondered about her involvement too, but with the Blue Velvet video. Like, did she come up with all of those references and everything, or did someone else plan it and she just showed up?

i think H&M came up with all those ideas but they were 'inspired' by her sound / aesthetic and decided to link it all with david lynchian elements, etc. i liked that video a lot still, because it was still fitting for her. i hated burned desire tbh because you can really tell she had very little (if any) creative direction in that one, which i guess still means she has a certain 'style' thats hard to describe / pin down? i dunno. like, i guess since we already know she can make her own music videos with random footage, she probably makes like shorter / choppier versions with scenery she likes and then gives it to anthony mandler? or at least i hope thats what happens. she always says she gives him 'mood boards' so i'm thinking that maybe they're just more homemade film / image collages? drawings? i would give one of my nuts to see those tbh. like, here lana, take my nut 

Anyway, about Lana & in all honesty, I would never go as far as calling her a  genius tbh. She has an interesting vision &  imo her main talent is her ability to create a very vivid imagery / mood with her lyrics in most of her songs; I think the music videos are an extension of that, and even if she's not responsible for every single artistic decision, I do think the concept / general idea behind each video is all hers. That being said, I think she has a few limitations in terms of her songwriting abilities & is probably more of a writer than a musician (In a way).

So I guess that's my attempt at unbiased & 'objective' criticism, but I don't think that's worth more than any other personal opinion tbh. Ultimately you like what you like, and that's it.

ya i'm starting to realize that literally nothing can be separated from some kind of emotional bias. or maybe i'm wrong and thats an emotional bias right there lol. but i dunno, i go back and forth with her. like some of her lyrics are *so* bad but not bad to the point where you're like, gross and i hope you die bitch but bad to the point where you're like, what were you thinking? really? is this a joke? are you being camp? ironic? its so bad to the point where you're (or at least, i am) a bit endeared and you can wonder if its just intentional. and if its intentional, is it still somehow smart? like, i feel like you could even try and read into the trashiest lyric and wonder what drove her to that point? like, was she so desperate to fit into the industry one night where she just said fuck it and started writing out ~u rawk rawk rawk~ across a napkin?? or maybe she was really, actually just feeling like a pre-teen spaz that night? and it was all still a part of some kind of 'vision'? she seems like a rather dynamic person, so you can't really put anything past her it seems. maybe i find the lyrics / imagery interesting regardless of whether it actually *is* or whether it *should* be because i'm a psychotic fan. i guess i'll never know whether she's a genius or not but the fact that i continue to ask makes me think that she is.. i guess? why do i keep going in circles omg 

:twirls:  :twirls:  :twirls:

ZRBNill.jpg

i think H&M came up with all those ideas but they were 'inspired' by her sound / aesthetic and decided to link it all with david lynchian elements, etc. i liked that video a lot still, because it was still fitting for her. i hated burned desire tbh because you can really tell she had very little (if any) creative direction in that one, which i guess still means she has a certain 'style' thats hard to describe / pin down? i dunno. like, i guess since we already know she can make her own music videos with random footage, she probably makes like shorter / choppier versions with scenery she likes and then gives it to anthony mandler? or at least i hope thats what happens. she always says she gives him 'mood boards' so i'm thinking that maybe they're just more homemade film / image collages? drawings? i would give one of my nuts to see those tbh. like, here lana, take my nut 

i once saw a mood board courtney love made for something (idk what anymore) and it was just tons and tons of photos & fabrics etc. glued onto a board. maybe that's what lana's mood boards are like or maybe they rly are video collages. tbh i'd take a video full of random footage lana liked & shots of her pouting, waving, twirling etc. over a professionally made video any day. they're so much more personal and more artistic than lana swimming around in a pool w swallow.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

i once saw a mood board courtney love made for something (idk what anymore) and it was just tons and tons of photos & fabrics etc. glued onto a board. maybe that's what lana's mood boards are like or maybe they rly are video collages. tbh i'd take a video full of random footage lana liked & shots of her pouting, waving, twirling etc. over a professionally made video any day. they're so much more personal and more artistic than lana swimming around in a pool w swallow.

omg, fabrics? i wonder if lana has really weird mood boards. with random found objects like dismembered toy fetuses or dead birds or something lmao. if theres some off chance that i get to see / interact with her at the tropico premiere i will beg her to share behind the scenes kind of stuff with us through twitter / fb or something. offer her my nut forreal 

tumblr_mj36n5wk0j1r4w8xyo3_500.gif

ya blue jeans is beautiful and everything but probably the video i've watched the least. i'm sure this ^^^ was her idea tho 

:creepna:

ZRBNill.jpg

If I recall well, there was some talk about Lana describing the songs in feeling words and colors for her producers for the instrumental tracks...so it could be like that also, and yeah I always imagined a mood board like that too, a sort of collage and collection of ideas

omg, fabrics? i wonder if lana has really weird mood boards. with random found objects like dismembered toy fetuses or dead birds or something lmao. if theres some off chance that i get to see / interact with her at the tropico premiere i will beg her to share behind the scenes kind of stuff with us through twitter / fb or something. offer her my nut forreal 

tumblr_mj36n5wk0j1r4w8xyo3_500.gif

ya blue jeans is beautiful and everything but probably the video i've watched the least. i'm sure this ^^^ was her idea tho 

:creepna:

kurt cobain didn't influence her that much  :hooker:

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

ya i'm starting to realize that literally nothing can be separated from some kind of emotional bias. or maybe i'm wrong and thats an emotional bias right there lol. but i dunno, i go back and forth with her. like some of her lyrics are *so* bad but not bad to the point where you're like, gross and i hope you die bitch but bad to the point where you're like, what were you thinking? really? is this a joke? are you being camp? ironic? its so bad to the point where you're (or at least, i am) a bit endeared and you can wonder if its just intentional. and if its intentional, is it still somehow smart? like, i feel like you could even try and read into the trashiest lyric and wonder what drove her to that point? like, was she so desperate to fit into the industry one night where she just said fuck it and started writing out ~u rawk rawk rawk~ across a napkin?? or maybe she was really, actually just feeling like a pre-teen spaz that night? and it was all still a part of some kind of 'vision'? she seems like a rather dynamic person, so you can't really put anything past her it seems. maybe i find the lyrics / imagery interesting regardless of whether it actually *is* or whether it *should* be because i'm a psychotic fan. i guess i'll never know whether she's a genius or not but the fact that i continue to ask makes me think that she is.. i guess? why do i keep going in circles omg 

I think both 'genius' and 'art' are things which are hard to ever pin-point, so I really wouldn't worry about that. There's no objectivity in this world :D but I think it's difficult to claim Lana isn't interesting and talented - just based on the complexity of her lyrics&sound, her video concepts, the really intense way she can express herself. That said, I don't think her less-deep/bad lyrics are an intentional criticism of pop industry or something. I think Lana's pretty straight forward and while she's a smart lady I'm sure, I've never really heard her intelligently critique something. I think she's better with raw feeling rather than subtle irony.

I can't really tell where her worse lyrics come from either; I still believe Lana likes to play roles in her head and they don't always make sense in the outside world. I ((think I)) understand because sometimes I think about the way certain people live and it fascinates me, even if I don't find that way of life appealing really but if I find it fascinating enough I'd try to write about it and emulate it in my head because that's the only way I could ever experience it. But she takes it one step further. I'm not sure I'm making sense but as I said in the feminism topic, I think Lana's just so many things and it's quite fascinating. I'm not sure what genius even means these days, but in her odd way she has some traces of it.

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

I think both 'genius' and 'art' are things which are hard to ever pin-point, so I really wouldn't worry about that. There's no objectivity in this world :D but I think it's difficult to claim Lana isn't interesting and talented - just based on the complexity of her lyrics&sound, her video concepts, the really intense way she can express herself. That said, I don't think her less-deep/bad lyrics are an intentional criticism of pop industry or something. I think Lana's pretty straight forward and while she's a smart lady I'm sure, I've never really heard her intelligently critique something. I think she's better with raw feeling rather than subtle irony. I'm not sure I'm making sense but as I said in the feminism topic, I think Lana's just so many things and it's quite fascinating. I'm not sure what genius even means these days, but in her odd way she has some traces of it.

all so true  :flutter:

i think she probably does go more with raw feeling now that you mention it, but then i also wonder if we haven't seen her critique anything or give too much of a public opinion on anything because she knows that whatever she says and/or does will be ridiculed and picked apart in some way? so she kind of has to remain like, a bit of a blank slate as much as possible when it comes to anything but her 'art'? like when that interviewer asked her about health care reform or whatever the fuck i dunno if she doesn't actually know much about it or if she just didn't want to give her opinion on such a controversial topic? or both? i dunno why i bother to think these things that i'll never know the fucking answer to lmao 

:mj3:  :sadcore:  :sadcore2:

ZRBNill.jpg

all so true  :flutter:

i think she probably does go more with raw feeling now that you mention it, but then i also wonder if we haven't seen her critique anything or give too much of a public opinion on anything because she knows that whatever she says and/or does will be ridiculed and picked apart in some way? so she kind of has to remain like, a bit of a blank slate as much as possible when it comes to anything but her 'art'? like when that interviewer asked her about health care reform or whatever the fuck i dunno if she doesn't actually know much about it or if she just didn't want to give her opinion on such a controversial topic? or both? i dunno why i bother to think these things that i'll never know the fucking answer to lmao 

:mj3:  :sadcore:  :sadcore2:

Yea I think we'd actually have to know her personally to be sure of that :D it could be her trying to be ~mysterious~ and misleading to interviewers. I personally think she's not much of a political person (despite what she said, yeah) because I see a sort of disconnect when it comes to topics like feminism/healthcare etc. and what she has to say. But yea this one is hard to tell  :eek: she can be very defensive so maybe she just doesn't want to expose her opinions on more serious stuff, I'm like that with random ppl irl a lot. She might not feel comfortable - 'trust no one' and all, some people don't like debating if they don't know the person who 'challenges' them. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

I don't know if "literally nothing" can't, but I agree that when it comes to music most opinions aren't. I mean, even music critics - who are supposedly (and the key-word here is 'supposedly'...) the most impartial listeners - are influenced by all sorts of stuff, from individual taste to preconceived notions about the artists they're reviewing to wanting to sound 'cool' & stay relevant.

That's one of the aspects I was referring to when I mentioned her limitations as a songwriter; the lyrics can be unbelievably cheesy & cliché, she also repeats herself *a lot* & I'm not so sure how good she really is when it comes to the actual melodies. Personally, I don't think anything (or almost anything) she writes is ironic or 'meta'. I think Lana is in a way pretty naïve, and by that I mean she's the opposite of the calculating, business-savvy popstar who knows exactly what to say & do in order to turn most situations in her favour & manipulate public opinion. I think that's apparent in a lot of her attitudes, interviews, etc. but also in her lyrics. She's genuine & says exactly what she wants to say, and I think it had never crossed her mind that people could hate her for it (one of the reasons why I think she's never really gotten over the initial American rejection). Similarly, I don't think she realises when she's being cheesy. All that makes her very vulnerable to criticism, but it's also a HUGE part of her appeal imo & one of the reasons why we let so many of her cringeworthy lyrics slide.

t's pretty ironic that's she was basically persecuted for being inauthentic when I legit believe she's one of the most authentic popstars out there, which is basically the reason why we even have a Lanalysis thread - and imo her authenticity has nothing to do with whether K existed or not, or whether she dated Gnecco or was just an obsessive fangirl, but the fact that she treats her music like her personal diary & talks about her darkest desires, dreams, fantasies without giving a single fuck if what she's writing about is cringey, ridiculous, disturbing, or whatever. And to me that trumps a technically better but emotionally sterile song anyday.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I don't know if "literally nothing" can't, but I agree that when it comes to music most opinions aren't. I mean, even music critics - who are supposedly (and the key-word here is 'supposedly'...) the most impartial listeners - are influenced by all sorts of stuff, from individual taste to preconceived notions about the artists they're reviewing to wanting to sound 'cool' & stay relevant.

That's one of the aspects I was referring to when I mentioned her limitations as a songwriter; the lyrics can be unbelievably cheesy & cliché, she also repeats herself *a lot* & I'm not so sure how good she really is when it comes to the actual melodies. Personally, I don't think anything (or almost anything) she writes is ironic or 'meta'. I think Lana is in a way pretty naïve, and by that I mean she's the opposite of the calculating, business-savvy popstar who knows exactly what to say & do in order to turn most situations in her favour & manipulate public opinion. I think that's apparent in a lot of her attitudes, interviews, etc. but also in her lyrics. She's genuine & says exactly what she wants to say, and I think it had never crossed her mind that people could hate her for it (one of the reasons why I think she's never really gotten over the initial American rejection). Similarly, I don't think she realises when she's being cheesy. All that makes her very vulnerable to criticism, but it's also a HUGE part of her appeal imo & one of the reasons why we let so many of her cringeworthy lyrics slide.

t's pretty ironic that's she was basically persecuted for being inauthentic when I legit believe she's one of the most authentic popstars out there, which is basically the reason why we even have a Lanalysis thread - and imo her authenticity has nothing to do with whether K existed or not, or whether she dated Gnecco or was just an obsessive fangirl, but the fact that she treats her music like her personal diary & talks about her darkest desires, dreams, fantasies without giving a single fuck if what she's writing about is cringey, ridiculous, disturbing, or whatever. And to me that trumps a technically better but emotionally sterile song anyday.

i don't really know what to think about her. she contradicts herself all the time! i think she's both naive and calculating tbh, etc. maybe not meta, but i think she definitely puts a lot of thought into her words / actions and that she knows how to.. garner the reaction she wants to garner? like the whole farewell thing, for instance. constantly licking her lips, talking in a baby voice, stuff like that. i don't even think she was ever addicted to meth tbh, but she just included those clips in the carmen video for the hell of it. to promote her "bad ass bitch" attitude or whatever. i dunno. she occupies too much of my mental space for a person i don't actually know. but i think all the reasons people hate her are kind of valid sometimes but entirely invalid at the same time, if that makes any sense at all? 

i don't remember where i read this quote, but i think it applies to her: 

"i am everything you think i am, and simultaneously, the complete opposite" 

ZRBNill.jpg

i don't really know what to think about her. she contradicts herself all the time! i think she's both naive and calculating tbh, etc. maybe not meta, but i think she definitely puts a lot of thought into her words / actions and that she knows how to.. garner the reaction she wants to garner? like the whole farewell thing, for instance. constantly licking her lips, talking in a baby voice, stuff like that. i don't even think she was ever addicted to meth tbh, but she just included those clips in the carmen video for the hell of it. to promote her "bad ass bitch" attitude or whatever. i dunno. she occupies too much of my mental space for a person i don't actually know. but i think all the reasons people hate her are kind of valid sometimes but entirely invalid at the same time, if that makes any sense at all? 

i think she rly was an alcoholic or was at least drinking too much at a point in her life but i don't think she was a drug addict. she might have experimented with drugs but drug addiction...nah. drug use, abuse & overdose make great lyrics and imagery so i think she might have greatly exaggerated her drug use for that reason.

Not here for these long ass debates, JUST GIVE ME TROPICO NOWICO!!!!!!! :hoe: :hoe: :hoe: :hoe:

i don't see this is debating, or mean for it to come off that way rly i'm just throwing out questions, vomiting my lana thoughts 

i luvluvluv the discussions on here, whether we're just exchanging ideas or debating, if we didn't have these i probably wouldn't be on here tbh

Oh I agree with you that she puts a lot of thought into her actions, but at the same time it's like she so frequently misjudges people's reactions & they kinda end up escaping her control? Like the feminism comments, the thing about her & Barrie being the only true artists or whatever... I don't really know how to explain this, it's just an impression I get sometimes... As if she had this exact image of herself and sometimes got so surprised that the whole world doesn't see her / think of her in that exact same way, if this makes any sense. That's really naïve imo.

Totally agree with you about the meth thing btw, I don't buy it for a single second tbh.

ya exactly. i definitely think she was an alcoholic and struggled with (an) addiction, but not meth specifically. but what i'm saying is, she included those clips in the carmen video.. and then commented "i got clean too bby xx" or whatever and so people just naturally assumed she was on ~methamphetamines~ i mean i dunno what her fascination is with that particular drug? maybe a boy she liked was on it or something. i wouldn't be surprised if she tried it several times but i don't think she was an addict or anything, she just glamorizes it a bit and doesn't mind if people think she's fucked up or something. or even *wants* people to think of her as an ex-addict? which is why i think she's calculating in some ways. and crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUFD3W7GWM

"The graceful and calculating beautiful Lana del Rey swooped into New York to perform at a dinner organized by the It London label Mulberry" -- derek blasberg (lmao @ the shade)  

this made me laugh the first time i read it. but its kind of true? i don't really know what he was referring to exactly but i feel like .. it makes sense to think that she's a calculating person. "smiling but i ain't happy" "you wouldn't know what i was thinking" "fooling everyone, telling them she's having fun" etc etc .. so when she says "i'm so happy to be here" .. its like, is she really? or is she really just good at letting people think that she's feeling a certain way? the tone of her voice, the laugh, the inflection -- everything to me sounds like its.. so carefully orchestrated? but its not a bad thing. i don't consider her to be fake or disingenuous or anything. its just.. i dunno, theres always something so off about her. she said herself before that when she was younger it was hard for her to get 'excited' about anything, or 'connect' with anything. i don't think thats something you just grow out of, ya know? but people want to know that you're feeling "up" -- so you just have to fake it? i dunno. i read too much into everything. but i feel like she's been judged her entire life and so its like, she always has to be so 'careful' and control the perception, even when it comes down to something as little as introduction to a live performance 

"im so happy to be here.. with fellow artists.. beauties.. teehee!" 

calculating and naive in one sentence probably. makes me wanna slap her with one hand and hug her with the other 

Oh I agree with you that she puts a lot of thought into her actions, but at the same time it's like she so frequently misjudges people's reactions & they kinda end up escaping her control? Like the feminism comments, the thing about her & Barrie being the only true artists or whatever... I don't really know how to explain this, it's just an impression I get sometimes... As if she had this exact image of herself and sometimes got so surprised that the whole world doesn't see her / think of her in that exact same way, if this makes any sense. That's really naïve imo.

lmao for sure. i definitely think she has to mold a certain impression at all times.. not just cause she's in the public eye but because she's human and wants the acceptance / recognition that everyone else does. and then when she doesn't get received in the way that she wishes she gets all bitter / defensive at that person or... that continent ahaha crazy bitch i love her so much 

i luvluvluv the discussions on here, whether we're just exchanging ideas or debating, if we didn't have these i probably wouldn't be on here tbh

agreed  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  me too 

ZRBNill.jpg

ya exactly. i definitely think she was an alcoholic and struggled with (an) addiction, but not meth specifically. but what i'm saying is, she included those clips in the carmen video.. and then commented "i got clean too bby xx" or whatever and so people just naturally assumed she was on ~methamphetamines~ i mean i dunno what her fascination is with that particular drug? maybe a boy she liked was on it or something. i wouldn't be surprised if she tried it several times but i don't think she was an addict or anything, she just glamorizes it a bit and doesn't mind if people think she's fucked up or something. or even *wants* people to think of her as an ex-addict? which is why i think she's calculating in some ways 

lots of her idols were fucked up addicts and she seems to be heavily influenced by them so that may have to do something with it. even with her alcoholism. in the gq interview she said "i thought the concept was so fucking cool". now i'm not saying she intentionally became an alcoholic (even though i wouldn't put something like that past her ~*~making your life a work of art~*~ y'know) but she may have started drinking bc she saw her idols doing it and thought it was cool but it escalated or something. courtney love said that kurt cobain tried being an alcoholic for a while but it didn't sit well w him so idk...

lots of her idols were fucked up addicts and she seems to be heavily influenced by them so that may have to do something with it. even with her alcoholism. in the gq interview she said "i thought the concept was so fucking cool". now i'm not saying she intentionally became an alcoholic (even though i wouldn't put something like that past her ~*~making your life a work of art~*~ y'know) 

ah true, thats probably part of it. and tbh i wouldn't put it past her either

lmao i totally had an image of her like, forcing herself to guzzle down a bottle of bacardi all for the sake of ~art~ 

:thumb:

ZRBNill.jpg