TrailerParkDarling

Fiona Apple

Fiona-Apple-01-608x481.jpg

Singer- songwriter Fiona Apple McAfee Maggart burst into the scene with her first commercial hit 'Criminal' in 1996. Her musical style is described as jazz/alternative rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOzayDpWoI

"Her songs are not afraid to get ugly, painful, and even in the most musically accessible moments, there's a touch of dissonance to make everything slightly uncomfortable." - Complex Magazine

Over the course of 17 years, Fiona Apple has released only four albums: 

Tidal (1996), When the Pawn... (1999), Extraordinary Machine (2005), and The Idler Wheel... (2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK30r_SIZ-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beBGsee0WZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbxqtbqyoRk

Although she is heavily regarded as a mysterious and reclusive person (she disappeared entirely from the entertainment scene for six years between her second and third albums), Fiona Apple is also known for her outspoken and unapologetic nature in her music and with the public. 

"This world is bullshit. And you shouldn't model your life over what we think is cool and what we're wearing and what we're saying and everything. Go with yourself." - Fiona Apple, accepting a MTV award in 1997

For anyone who hasn't read it, I recommend reading her full Rolling Stone interview from 1998.  Even if you aren't a huge fan, it gives a lot of insight to Fiona's lyrics and complex personality.

(Trigger warning for anyone who chooses to read it)

http://www.neverisapromise.com/interviews/RSJan98.html

This article by Complex is great, as well

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/06/the-fearlessness-of-fiona-apple

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I adore Fiona as much for her eccentricities as for her music, though I have only thoroughly adored 'The Idler Wheel'. It's one of the few albums that I care enough about to have spent money on a deluxe edition. Her voice is so unique, so spindly, often sounding like it's barely teetering on the edge of sanity as she ploughs her way through song after song. I wish she was a little less reclusive, a little more prolific, but in changing either aspect of her artistry, I feel like there would be something lost in the actual intricacies of what makes her Fiona. I was laughing out loud when I first read about her bell-ringing antics from a couple nights ago, and really hope some footage surfaces...that woman doing a backbend on a piano bench is at once both utterly unconceivable and thoroughly to be expected. :creep:

Her 'Hot Knife' and Beatles cover of 'Across the Universe' both have extraordinary videos, and both are directed by her now ex-boyfriend, Paul Thomas Anderson. I earnestly entreat everyone, even if you don't consider yourself a fan, to watch them...they both are perfectly executed, and I can honestly say that they number in a handful of videos I've actually had the patience to watch a full time through. :P TPD, of course, already posted the latter, but here's the former:

'Hot Knife': 

In closing, I leave my readers' with two thoughts. 

From Pitchfork, in their recent article concerning her Louis Vuitton performance:

Blame the fashion industry if Fiona Apple decides to go into hibernation for another seven years.

Finally, 

130830-fiona-apple.jpg

Oh, and I just wanted to ask if anyone else is incredibly reminded of Sky by her actions and mannerisms...of course, Sky is influenced by Fiona and not the other way around, but it's still surprising to me sometimes after watching Fiona speak, as per the infamous 1997 VMAs speech. 

I guess I should include this~ Fiona is nothing like Lana but she did stand up for her :P

http://www.muumuse.com/2012/06/fiona-apple-talks-new-album-lana-del-rey-to-interview-magazine-and-releases-new-song-werewolf.html/

I should also say that Fiona really hates the Criminal video and didn't want that to be her big hit, so if that's all you know of her definitely look into her other stuff.  The record label wanted her to be more like Alanis Morrisette and after Tidal Fiona completely did what she wanted.. (therefore, Tidal is v different from her other albums) she didn't want her career to become something based on a corporation or something she didn't believe in, I suppose.  I mean, look at those gaps in between her albums.  She has so much control over her music..look at the titles of her albums- "When the Pawn" set the record for longest album title, with 90 words. (She even shot the cover art for 'Extraordinary Machine' and drew the cover, a self portrait, for 'The Idler Wheel') In 2005, Epic wasn't going to release Extraordinary Machine because there wasn't a hit song on it.. but it mysteriously leaked online and actually got radio play and they were pretty much forced to. She basically has a label as a means to get her work widely distributed but it seems like there is always some sort of problem w/ releases, like apparently they backed out of promotion w/ "Dull Tool" which was used in the movie This is 40

Anyway, I am sad that it will probably be years til we get more stuff from her, especially because of what just happened at the Louis Vuitton show, but quality over quantity. 

Extraordinary machine/ the idler wheel> tidal

i love fiona!! she's one of my favorites along with regina and laura marling  :hooker: cant wait for her next album in 20 years

:derpna2:

Fiona threw out a heckler at last night's show who said she unhealthy + she looked better when they saw her years ago.  Apparently Fiona was holding back tears through the final song ['Waltz']  :sadcore3:

I hate bad fans!!!!!!!!!! Don't come to a show to heckle!!! Don't berate a woman about her health when she has made her 20+ year battles w/ an ED, depression, etc. public!!!!

I guess I should include this~ Fiona is nothing like Lana but she did stand up for her :P

http://www.muumuse.com/2012/06/fiona-apple-talks-new-album-lana-del-rey-to-interview-magazine-and-releases-new-song-werewolf.html/

I should also say that Fiona really hates the Criminal video and didn't want that to be her big hit, so if that's all you know of her definitely look into her other stuff.  The record label wanted her to be more like Alanis Morrisette and after Tidal Fiona completely did what she wanted.. (therefore, Tidal is v different from her other albums) she didn't want her career to become something based on a corporation or something she didn't believe in, I suppose.  I mean, look at those gaps in between her albums.  She has so much control over her music..look at the titles of her albums- "When the Pawn" set the record for longest album title, with 90 words. (She even shot the cover art for 'Extraordinary Machine' and drew the cover, a self portrait, for 'The Idler Wheel') In 2005, Epic wasn't going to release Extraordinary Machine because there wasn't a hit song on it.. but it mysteriously leaked online and actually got radio play and they were pretty much forced to. She basically has a label as a means to get her work widely distributed but it seems like there is always some sort of problem w/ releases, like apparently they backed out of promotion w/ "Dull Tool" which was used in the movie This is 40

Anyway, I am sad that it will probably be years til we get more stuff from her, especially because of what just happened at the Louis Vuitton show, but quality over quantity. 

It's funny how the Criminal video does not really portray Fiona and her music the way she intended, it was just the idea of the director, but I love the video anyways. Sex sells, but I love all her music with or without a video. I really respect the fact that she doesn't care about becoming a big star, and she really cares about the music, which is something many artists lack today. I feel many artists try hard to become famous or well-known,but music should never be about that. Then again it's called a music industry for a reason; anyways, I'm happy for Fiona and her music.

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

Fiona is a genius. There are moments in Lana's music that reminds me of a beat that Fiona has done. Sad Girl comes to mind with the piano sound in the background. Love Fiona. Been a fan of hers right when she came out in the 96 when I was a teen.  :P

I remember buying Tidal in HMV under the 'Acid Jazz' section. Sad to say that store HMV no longer exists or any of those giant music stores. :(

I can't believe it's been 20 years. Lord I am old. :facepalm: