Creyk

Cedric Gervais Talks 'Summertime Sadness' Confirms Y&B as next single

The article is out for a while but no one posted it, so I thought I might

cedric-gervais-650.jpg

The veteran DJ reaches the Top 10 and inks an album deal with Interscope.

While many in clubland know Cedric Gervais for his residency at Space in Miami, his consistent output of remixes, and an outsized personality on and off the decks, the DJ is reaching a whole new audience this summer thanks to Lana Del Rey. Gervais’s rework of the singer’s “Summertime Sadness” reached No. 9 on the Hot 100 last week (it slipped to 10 this week despite a continued rise in sales and streams), giving the experienced EDM jock the biggest hit of his career.

Billed as Cedric Gervais vs. Lana Del Rey, the track was originally remixed by Gervais as a labor of love. “After the success of my track ‘Molly,’ a lot of people asked me to remix big artists,” Gervais explains. “To me it’s not about the money, so I turned down a lot of people. But Lana Del Rey came in. I didn’t even ask how much money I just said please send me the vocals right away and I did the track in one day. I wasn’t thinking if it was going to be a hit or not, I just love and respect the artist that she is.”

Touring Europe this summer, Gervais has watched the sleeper hit grow,  even the  giving the seasoned producer a sense of accomplishment. “In every country I’m going to, I hear my remix on the radio,” he says happily. “I heard it on the MTV Awards while they’re introducing Selena Gomez. It motivates me. I started a long time ago in the business with the passion of being a DJ and all of the sudden I make a track like this I get even more excited and motivated. It opens the door to so many things.”

One of those things includes an album deal with Interscope, ushered in by the label's A&R honcho, John Ehmann, who was responsible for the “Summertime” remix, even though the track was ultimately released through indie dance label Spinnin’ Records--a move designed to reach and appeal to Gervais’ core DJ fanbase. According to Gervais, when Ehmann saw “60,000 people singing the song” at Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas he returned to Interscope’s L.A. offices ready to put the weight of Del Rey’s home label behind the song’s promotion.

“I love the label and I really love what they’re doing with Zedd at the moment,” says Gervais. “They’re putting me with so many great songwriters and producers that it’s the right thing to do.”

Working with “Summertime’s” veteran co-songwriter Rick Nowels (profiled recently in Chart Beat), Gervais promises an album of less-than-obvious featured vocalists but rather “very cool, very iconic” new artists. 

Co-written by Nowels and Del Rey, “Summertime Sadness” first appeared on Del Rey’s 2012 album “Born To Die” and was even released as a single in Europe that year. While Gervais was also asked to rework “Young and Beautiful,” the featured single from The Great Gatsby, promotion for that track is being held until awards season this winter.

Despite an uptick in studio time (Gervais says a session with Alanis Morissette is in the near future), Gervais remains a touring DJ. For that facet of his career, the song’s success is directly seen in his renewed ability to pack a club, particularly in North America.

“The [previous] time I played Vancouver the promoter called my agent and said ‘we’re not moving a lot of tickets, we can’t pay the price we’re paying.’ And last time I played Vancouver [at the beginning of the summer], I sold out the week before.”

Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/code/5687182/cedric-gervais-talks-summertime-sadness-remix-smash-linking-with-lana

Is it sad that I'm just happy she's getting regular airplay at all? I love hearing her on the radio, in stores, blasting out of the speakers in the next car over. It's pretty cool to watch.

His remixes are pretty horrible though.

................if I sent Ben an e-mail would he answer? Have any of you been in contact with him before? I'll suck his dick if he'll keep Cedric away from Lana's songs :defeated:

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Well at least he claims to actually like her. Like, you can tell he made the remix in one day - it sounds like the same sample every remix artist uses but I assumed that was just because he thought nothing of her. I guess there's nothing much we can do about Y&B, I just really hope he puts in a little more effort because that's a pretty powerful song for a big film so they might turn him down anyway if he doesn't step his game up  :teehee:

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I love it man, i love hearing it on the radio, i get to blast it, i love singing it with my friends, I LOVE IT ALLLL

lH7Zs6V.gif      

Where did he confirm Y&B remix as another single????  He was just asked to do y&b remix and he did. But how does it mean it will be actually released as single ? lol

Edit: i see the promotion thing now. But its still hard to believe for me. I hope it wont ruin the chance for the Oscar. basic edm

I'm curious how Young and Beautiful will do. Radio and people are more open to Lana now, if she got another top 10 hit with that remix, it would really help her, and also how cool would that be.

I'm curious how Young and Beautiful will do. Radio and people are more open to Lana now, if she got another top 10 hit with that remix, it would really help her, and also how cool would that be.

Lorde´s Royals is slaying itunes chart (n.2), there is no way National Anthem would flop with rightful amount of promotion  :diva:

Lorde´s Royals is slaying itunes chart (n.2), there is no way National Anthem would flop with rightful amount of promotion  :diva:

So true!

Specially if she actually promoted it....I mean she always sings that song very well, she's kind of consistent with that performance.

When she chooses to sing the whole song, that is :lanasrs:

This Y&B remix is the worst thing I've heard 

:horror:

Totally killed the soul in the song.

I think National Anthem or Body Electric would work with the charts and radio.

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18