lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

There are certain phrases that I know I will get shit for, but that feels very right for me. I sing, for example, "he hit me and it felt like a kiss", a feeling I love. You know when you think it's love, but it's so passionate that it becomes aggressive. It is an attractive quality to me. In a world where everyone is bored, I like people with emotion.

I feel seriously sick reading this.  

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Is this the beginning of the first meltdown we are witnessing this era? Pls, go on...I am eager to read more...

There's nothing else to say if this needy bullshit is on UV I won't be buying it ... here read this... fuck-you-o.gif

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs

^^^ To be honest I'm attracted to the same type of quality that lana is talking about, and I'm actually pretty excited for it

^^^ To be honest I'm attracted to the same type of quality that lana is talking about, and I'm actually pretty excited for it

I feel seriously sick reading this.

B8wHSYZ.jpg

Ha, I do wonder how the general public will perceive it, but I don't see how people who know AKA/her unreleased songs can be surprised by lines like 'he hit me and it felt like a kiss' (unless you're surprised she keeps taking lyrics from other songs). But she might've meant she expressed something along those lines in the songs, not that exact lyric? Anyway 'beat me and tell me no one will love me, better than you do' 'I like em tough and mean, Jim is the worst that I've ever seen' , Push Me Down, Afraid, Backfire; I think she always had the tendency to romanticize violence, and this is ultraviolence after all 

Not that I agree with the sentiment behind it myself, but I find it interesting when used in art not in real life. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

But it's not even Courtney's song.... it's a cover. There's no need to get angry, really...

Yeah I know I posted it

That's a Carol King song from like over 50 years ago, which Courtney covered 20 years ago. Lana is getting so predictable it's actually starting to piss me off :facepalm: Cliché

... icba

Ha, I do wonder how the general public will perceive it, but I don't see how people who know AKA/her unreleased songs can be surprised by lines like 'he hit me and it felt like a kiss' (unless you're surprised she keeps taking lyrics from other songs). But she might've meant she expressed something along those lines in the songs, not that exact lyric? Anyway 'beat me and tell me no one will love me, better than you do' 'I like em tough and mean, Jim is the worst that I've ever seen' , Push Me Down, Afraid, Backfire; I think she always had the tendency to romanticize violence, and this is ultraviolence after all 

Not that I agree with the sentiment behind it myself, but I find it interesting when used in art not in real life. 

It's not the lyric itself or any of those others, its hearing her reasoning behind it that makes me feel sick. Like, those words actually came out of her mouth... I suppose it was implied all along with previous lyrics, but hearing that explicitly?? :(

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Some people are turned on by that sort of stuff though? Like if she's been in a relationship where it was consensual?

At the end of the day we don't know her personal life and as much as I agree that it is a risky lyric I don't believe in the censoring of art at all.

Maybe this is how she deals with stuff? If she has been in an abusive relationship (which is not a topic that's okay for us to discuss about her tbh) then romanticising it could be how she deals with her trauma? It's not unknown for abuse victims to use this as defensive mechanism against their trauma

Of course I'm just speculating, none of us can say for sure. (I'm probably reading WAY too far into that one lyric though...)

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

It's not the lyric itself or any of those others, its hearing her reasoning behind it that makes me feel sick. Like, those words actually came out of her mouth... I suppose it was implied all along with previous lyrics, but hearing that explicitly?? :(

It's very sad if she does seriously think like that ~ I have a feeling she just likes the the idea of men like that or relationships like that, I don't think Barrie is that way but who knows. She always sings about men who don't seem to be him which is why I think it's in her head more than anything. 

That's probably why she hires assholes like Swallow for her videos

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Just get over it.

She's perfect :lanasrs:

Some people are turned on by that sort of stuff though? Like if she's been in a relationship where it was consensual?

At the end of the day we don't know her personal life and as much as I agree that it is a risky lyric I don't believe in the censoring of art at all.

Maybe this is how she deals with stuff? If she has been in an abusive relationship (which is not a topic that's okay for us to discuss about her tbh) then romanticising it could be how she deals with her trauma? It's not unknown for abuse victims to use this as defensive mechanism against their trauma

Of course I'm just speculating, none of us can say for sure. (I'm probably reading WAY too far into that one lyric though...)

I always took it that way. That's why I'm able to relate to Lana on some level. Not to mention the consensual angle

i am nothing and should be everything

Another thing I'm pretty nervous about is that a lot of critics are hoping that her album related to the classic 'Clockwork Orange' based on the title 'Ultraviolence' which was a main theme in the movie but based on the interview I feel like there's smaller chances of that happening.. I hope the theme of the album isn't romanticizing abuse in a relationship in a sexy way... Like a song like that from lana here and there is okay but not the whole album?? I just really hope she didn't mean 'Ultraviolence' as in 'I like it when my man pushes me down on the ground , pull my hair , etc.' Kinda thing.. I hope there's still more art and meaning in that if that's the case. Another thing I noticed is her new music contains a Spanish theme she's into now? ( 'cubano como yo my love' , "you like your women spanish, dark, tall and proud.." , " cariño.." , new tattoo 'Nina Bella' ) I feel like that's going to play a big role in the new era too.. I can dig it. But as for where the titles 'ultraviolence' comes from I'm a little bit nervous..

tumblr_mt8zphpiql1swc3i6o1_500.gif

Aggressive =/= Abusive so can we please stop the whole taking-shit-out-of-context?

Jesus fucking Christ, whatever it takes to get to nag, it seems. Poor girl could never catch a break with self-disclosure without her own fans turning it into a psychoanalysis under the false pretense that she condones domestic abuse.

Re-fucking-lax, re-fucking-lax.

I don't know what the problem with taking lyrics is...the original sounds horrible anyway, but when she sings it, it will be heaven in musical form  :uh:

I don't know what the problem with taking lyrics is...the original sounds horrible anyway, but when she sings it, it will be heaven in musical form  :uh:

There is no problem, really. It is not a new or poor habit of artists to implement lyrics from songs that were influential to their work or the particular song, I think it's a lovely tribute and it's interesting to see how different artists delivering the same lyric could totally change the meaning or feeling behind it. People are getting salty over nothing. :whatever:

tumblr_mt8zphpiql1swc3i6o1_500.gif

Aggressive =/= Abusive so can we please stop the whole taking-shit-out-of-context?

Jesus fucking Christ, whatever it takes to get to nag, it seems. Poor girl could never catch a break with self-disclosure without her own fans turning it into a psychoanalysis under the false pretense that she condones domestic abuse.

Re-fucking-lax, re-fucking-lax.

I think you're right, Vinny... but if someone's concerned about the acceptance of violence, why respond with a tongue-in-cheek expression of semi-violence?

There is no problem, really. It is not a new or poor habit of artists to implement lyrics from songs that were influential to their work or the particular song, I think it's a lovely tribute and it's interesting to see how different artists delivering the same lyric could totally change the meaning or feeling behind it. People are getting salty over nothing.  :whatever:

Yes, but I think violence is something, and that's why Lana's choosing it as a topic to sing about. (Or at least reference. How remains to be seen, I guess.)

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I think you're right, Vinny... but if someone's concerned about the acceptance of violence, why respond with a tongue-in-cheek expression of semi-violence?

Because MPGIS gifs are how I breathe in Jesus and breathe out peace and serve as a small reminder to laugh when people are extending their worries a little too ahead of themselves.

Really though, I understand the concern about the acceptance of violence, I have my concerns, too; but my issue is that nearly every little thing gets thrown under a microscope and it gets done with cherry-picking. The cherry-picking is what irks me the most, because we'll hear the same themes from many other artists, and no one says a word, but then when it's convenient to be concerned, you see people frantically trying to throw capes on their back. Maybe it's just that I interpret things abstractly, but it gets frustrating when written interviews are handled with a linear and negative perspective. There's no room for doubt, and that bothers me. Because then everyone's getting upset over something that may be mistranslated, or may be entirely false.

I sing, for example, "he hit me and it felt like a kiss", a feeling I love. You know when you think it's love, but it's so passionate that it becomes aggressive. It is an attractive quality to me. In a world where everyone is bored, I like people with emotion.

Hi I'm Lana I want to take women back to the 1800's by trying to glamorize and make domestic abuse sexy. I'll make a huge impression on a lot of venerable young females and males who don't know any better, cause I'm so fucking bored and brain dead that I can only feel emotion when someone is beating the shit out of me, bonus i'll be safe whilst doing this and be making a shit load of money at the same time. Enjoy Ultraviolence :smokes2:

[iMAGE REMOVED]

Some people have a reason to get fucking salty!

Edited by FLOPPY SEAL PUP
Graphic image of physical abuse, possibly triggering

I love the idea of using UV to say that a relationship is killing her emotionally, but I am concerned about the possibility of her glorifying domestic abuse. If she's telling a story, that's different, but I am a bit worried.

If the interview is real and/or translated correctly, of course.

I sing, for example, "he hit me and it felt like a kiss", a feeling I love. You know when you think it's love, but it's so passionate that it becomes aggressive. It is an attractive quality to me. In a world where everyone is bored, I like people with emotion.

Hi I'm Lana I want to take women back to the 1800's by trying to glamorize and make domestic abuse sexy. I'll make a huge impression on a lot of venerable young females and males who don't know any better, cause I'm so fucking bored and brain dead that I can only feel emotion when someone is beating the shit out of me, bonus i'll be safe whilst doing this and be making a shit load of money at the same time.          Enjoy Ultraviolence  :smokes2:

[iMAGE REMOVED]

Your post is far more triggering to any member on LanaBoards who has been in an abusive relationship than that godforsaken lyric is, myself included. And THIS POST is what's disgusting me. Are you fucking serious?

I am not even going to bother.

Edited by FLOPPY SEAL PUP
Graphic image of physical abuse, possibly triggering