lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

Violet princess?

Owl City has a song called Shy Violet :toofunny:

Anyway, that song is good and this is only a title, but doesn't it sound a little...cheesy?

Lana did say she is inspired by new things though, maybe she and Barrie got high and watched cartoons :flutter:

'To The Rescue' isn't a song title. He's just saying 'Lana Del Rey to the rescue.' Not capitalised. It's a popular saying. She was posing like a superhero on a poster. Ugh you guys.

Violet Princess is a song though. It's got proper capitalisation and it sounds very Lana specific.

The ultraviolence theme can easily be assumed to be associated with a clockwork orange. A clockwork orange is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time (along with American beauty and 2001 a space odyssey; these were my favorites before I had heard of Lana so it's a little coincidental but whatever). The concepts in a clockwork orange revolve around social conditioning and philosophical/sociological morality. Ultraviolence in the book/movie is the idea of every human action being beautiful because humans are beautiful- even the most evil murders and rapes are beautiful because they display the potential of human beings. So when morality comes in, it is a basic question of whether forcing someone to act "morally" is a moral thing to do; for instance, in a clockwork orange, doctors condition the main character Alex to feel physically sick when he feels the desire to rape or murder, so he's not going to do it, which is good. But the priest says that since he doesn't have a choice, he is nothing more than a machine, and destroying his ability to kill and destroy has tainted his ability to consciously create good choices as well. Ultraviolence is when he raped and killed people and Beethoven is playing because it's so beautiful that he is destroying. Destruction and creation are the same ting, especially when understood from Lana del Rey's postmodern pop singer persona. Her deconstruction is beautiful but people may not like it because it minimizes the artistry of her role models. Also, everyone should understand why it's called a clockwork orange: to socially condition someone to the point of them papering to be a beautiful person when in reality they are just a puppet machine underneath is similar to viewing a beautiful orange and cutting it open only to find literal gears and cogs inside working like clockwork.

This is so Lana! Any time she uses the word orange, it is a reference to her understanding of creation (both art and Adam+eve shit). Example: in the orange light, the fog is rising

The word violet or ultraviolent in her lyrics obviously refers to destruction.

And black beauty (I think the song is definitely about meth addiction recovery, and it is extremely similar to the song methamphetamines), hundred dollar bill, and Hawaiian tropic (you can't come back from being that bad just to sit at home. Pledge allegiance to the flag) would fit perfectly into these themes of overcoming drug addiction in order to live happily. Her struggle is trying to find a way to be sober, meaning free of all drugs, and surviving only off of love. She is beautiful.

User-FastFission-brain.gif       let's change our DNA

The ultraviolence theme can easily be assumed to be associated with a clockwork orange. A clockwork orange is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time (along with American beauty and 2001 a space odyssey; these were my favorites before I had heard of Lana so it's a little coincidental but whatever). The concepts in a clockwork orange revolve around social conditioning and philosophical/sociological morality. Ultraviolence in the book/movie is the idea of every human action being beautiful because humans are beautiful- even the most evil murders and rapes are beautiful because they display the potential of human beings. So when morality comes in, it is a basic question of whether forcing someone to act "morally" is a moral thing to do; for instance, in a clockwork orange, doctors condition the main character Alex to feel physically sick when he feels the desire to rape or murder, so he's not going to do it, which is good. But the priest says that since he doesn't have a choice, he is nothing more than a machine, and destroying his ability to kill and destroy has tainted his ability to consciously create good choices as well. Ultraviolence is when he raped and killed people and Beethoven is playing because it's so beautiful that he is destroying. Destruction and creation are the same ting, especially when understood from Lana del Rey's postmodern pop singer persona. Her deconstruction is beautiful but people may not like it because it minimizes the artistry of her role models. Also, everyone should understand why it's called a clockwork orange: to socially condition someone to the point of them papering to be a beautiful person when in reality they are just a puppet machine underneath is similar to viewing a beautiful orange and cutting it open only to find literal gears and cogs inside working like clockwork.

This is so Lana! Any time she uses the word orange, it is a reference to her understanding of creation (both art and Adam+eve shit). Example: in the orange light, the fog is rising

The word violet or ultraviolent in her lyrics obviously refers to destruction.

And black beauty (I think the song is definitely about meth addiction recovery, and it is extremely similar to the song methamphetamines), hundred dollar bill, and Hawaiian tropic (you can't come back from being that bad just to sit at home. Pledge allegiance to the flag) would fit perfectly into these themes of overcoming drug addiction in order to live happily. Her struggle is trying to find a way to be sober, meaning free of all drugs, and surviving only off of love. She is beautiful.

Love your analysis in regards to Clockwork Orange. Maybe we can expect of her philosophical persona in the new material?   

Love your analysis in regards to Clockwork Orange. Maybe we can expect of her philosophical persona in the new material?   

I really hope that To the rescue is about Britain and the rest of Europe coming to her rescue after she was nearly lynched in her homeland. Cat Karlsson I welcome you. Born to die had very poor sales in Sweden, hopefully my neighbors are finally seeing the light.

Violet is a Courtney Love song

Hole, actually.

Ultraviolence in the book/movie is the idea of every human action being beautiful because humans are beautiful- even the most evil murders and rapes are beautiful because they display the potential of human beings.

Ultraviolence is just a term Anthony Burgess used to describe the murders/beatings/rapes they committed, an extreme violence. I didn't interpret that single word to be have any more meaning, he made lots of words up for that book, that's just one of the most easily understood ones and one that people now actually use in real life.

Btw, he said this about A Clockwork Orange: 

"We all suffer from the popular desire to make the known notorious. The book I am best known for, or only known for, is a novel I am prepared to repudiate: written a quarter of a century ago, a jeu d'esprit knocked off for money in three weeks, it became known as the raw material for a film which seemed to glorify sex and violence. The film made it easy for readers of the book to misunderstand what it was about, and the misunderstanding will pursue me until I die. I should not have written the book because of this danger of misinterpretation, and the same may be said of Lawrence and Lady Chatterley's Lover."

I still don't know how exactly he would like it to be interpreted but that's pretty interesting.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I really hope that To the rescue is about Britain and the rest of Europe coming to her rescue after she was nearly lynched in her homeland. Cat Karlsson I welcome you. Born to die had very poor sales in Sweden, hopefully my neighbors are finally seeing the light.

Thank you. Even if somewhat unrelated to the thread, I hope you are correct, even if I (rather selfishly) rather belong to a minority - but that can be discussed in an off-topic thread maybe. But of course Swedish people took the Cedric Gervais version of Summertime to dance floors - I sincerely do not hope this is what Lana will be known for in Sweden..

Thank you. Even if somewhat unrelated to the thread, I hope you are correct, even if I (rather selfishly) rather belong to a minority - but that can be discussed in an off-topic thread maybe. But of course Swedish people took the Cedric Gervais version of Summertime to dance floors - I sincerely do not hope this is what Lana will be known for in Sweden..

It's what Lana's mostly known for in the United States, unfortunately. When I was going back to school, everybody was putting "Summertime Sadness" everywhere. :facepalm:

tumblr_ma0935r5Ds1rbghbvo1_500.gif

Hole, actually.

Credited collectively to Hole but only preformed by Hole written by Courtney Love and Eric Erlandson and apparently polished/finished by Kurt Cobain. It's about Billy Corgan,

I don't know I can see the influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_rfGBwamc

I think Kurt had a lot to do with that album Old Age is actually his song but he was never credited for it.

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs