toshi

Saddest / Most Depressing Lana Song

Your Band is All the Rage. I think this is the saddest mainly because of how the music is. She writes a lot of sad lyrics to more upbeat tempos, but this is just very all love is lost and it breaks my heart.

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

Since she wants to turn her life into a work of art and she writes a lot of sad songs we can say that she leads a sad life, so her saddest song is the one emanating from her being

Ride is more like freeing and letting go from the past, therefore not really sad to me.

I don't see it as letting go/freeing yourself but more as trying to find an escape from your problems - driving fast alone etc. In the bridge, she declares she's tired of driving to escape from her problems but, at the end of the song, she's still the same girl, driving fast, dealing with same problems - and I think that's a feeling most people can relate to/find sad.

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

I always think there's multiple kinds of "sad musicians".  Lana has always been, to me, on the more impressionistic side.  She paints the scene/mood and let's the person find the sadness kind of within it.   More of a Monet than a Rembrandt.

I like Yayo, Gramma (Reminds me of mid-70s Dylan a bit and Lana), Black Beauty.  Even within those, there's hope or a silver lining.  It's hard to find a really personally hopeless song; she might not really have one.  That's fine though.

I don't know, it's hard to really differentiate between contrived and genuine and I sway towards the older stuff with determining the genuine sadness or at least genuine motivation behind it.  A lot of songs can easily be written off as "sadcore" or sad but are they really sad though?  Reminds me of the early 2000s when people called bands like Interpol or Strokes "sad" when they were more "dark" than "sad"...

u6pq4c9.gif

I always think there's multiple kinds of "sad musicians".  Lana has always been, to me, on the more impressionistic side.  She paints the scene/mood and let's the person find the sadness kind of within it.   More of a Monet than a Rembrandt.

I like Yayo, Gramma (Reminds me of mid-70s Dylan a bit and Lana), Black Beauty.  Even within those, there's hope or a silver lining.  It's hard to find a really personally hopeless song; she might not really have one.  That's fine though.

I don't know, it's hard to really differentiate between contrived and genuine and I sway towards the older stuff with determining the genuine sadness or at least genuine motivation behind it.  A lot of songs can easily be written off as "sadcore" or sad but are they really sad though?  Reminds me of the early 2000s when people called bands like Interpol or Strokes "sad" when they were more "dark" than "sad"...

I agree but I think that she does have a couple of actual sad songs like Bad Disease...

I AM MY ONLY GOD

a lot of her songs have sad elements, i find the saddest ones are those which i can relate to the most:

Ride, Disco, You're Gonna Love Me, Axl Rose Husband, Pretty Baby, Without You.

Then I find Video Games and Blue Jeans sad because I broke up with a boyfriend when they came out then listened to them non stop ahaha

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

Black Beauty and Video Games, more for the lyrics + mood of the song :( she sounds so sad in them.

Noir is kinda upbeat but I find the lyrics so sad, almost like her heart is breaking while singing them. Damn You as well, more for the lyrics - she doesn't exactly sound sad while singing, but she sounds kind of... sad. idk.

I met someone who I was in love with for three years in New York City, and then after meeting and telling each other we loved each other, he ignored me for the remainder of the time I was in the city. Backfire had just leaked, and I happened to listen to it and download it and that became the anthem for the rest of my trip. I cried listening to it on repeat while riding the subway just to kill time until I went back home. So that song is immensely sad for me personally. 

Pawn Shop Blues also perfectly describes how I broke up with my last boyfriend, and I don't think I can listen to it without crying. I think it's beautiful but so many memories of that relationship is laced within it that I never listen to it.

Pawn Shop Blues by far, followed by Black Beauty, Afraid and maybe Never Let Me Go and American too for some reason.

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'