lflflflflflflflflflf

SINGLE: West Coast

I find it interesting how some people are already tired of some of Lana's most signature tunes.  One thing I noticed, at least when I listen to her music, is that it helps to be in the right frame of mind. Her music is very cerebral and nothing sounds like it. I don't worship any pop stars but I give credit where it's due and Lana deserves it. She writes amazing music even if some of the same lyrics and ideas show up in multiple songs. Look at Stevie Nicks' songwriting for example, there are constant themes all through her music and it helped her develope her own sound. Lana is doing the same thing, and I hope continues developing her craft. I was listening to Born to Die and Paradise while drivng through the countryside for work today. It was a beautiful Spring day and Lana made it even more wonderful. I still don't think she gets the credit she is due even from some of her "fans." If Lana puts out shit music I will call her on it, but so far I have yet to be disappointed. When the single drops we will all be able to have our say. :facepalm:

I'm not sure profound is the right word for Lana's lyrics in the same context as Dylan and Cohen. Dylan and Cohen are political artists, I don't think her writing is anything like theirs

That's not true at all, IMO. Both told personal stories through their lyrics as much as Lana does...and I find the emotional resonance to be quite profound. Lana implements a bit of social/cultural commentary as well.

I find it interesting how some people are already tired of some of Lana's most signature tunes.  One thing I noticed, at least when I listen to her music, is that it helps to be in the right frame of mind. Her music is very cerebral and nothing sounds like it. I don't worship any pop stars but I give credit where it's due and Lana deserves it. She writes amazing music even if some of the same lyrics and ideas show up in multiple songs. Look at Stevie Nicks' songwriting for example, there are constant themes all through her music and it helped her develope her own sound. Lana is doing the same thing, and I hope continues developing her craft. I was listening to Born to Die and Paradise while drivng through the countryside for work today. It was a beautiful Spring day and Lana made it even more wonderful. I still don't think she gets the credit she is due even from some of her "fans." If Lana puts out shit music I will call her on it, but so far I have yet to be disappointed. When the single drops we will all be able to have our say. :facepalm:

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif

I know this is wishful thinking and the biggest presumption ever but I'm kinda hoping and thinking west coast is going to be talking about her struggles with alcohol based on those lyrics, it would be so different! like with the 'leaving you' thing idk

I know this is wishful thinking and the biggest presumption ever but I'm kinda hoping and thinking west coast is going to be talking about her struggles with alcohol based on those lyrics, it would be so different! like with the 'leaving you' thing idk

That's exactly what I was thinking. The lyrics sort of allude to her sobriety and the notion people had of not having fun unless you're drinking and Lana is saying it doesn't matter because she has the music. Then she talks about leaving, maybe referring her initial days without alcohol.

West Coast has so many meanings. It could mean the hippie vibe as far as lyrics go, or it could mean the seedy underside of Hollywood. I can't wait to hear the song so I can disect it. lol

32letty23_zps92ce220f.jpg

Down on the West Coast,

They got a sayin, if you're not drinkin,

Then you're not playin but you got the music,

You got the music in you, don't you?

Down on the West Coast,

I get this feeling like it all could happen,

That's why I'm leaving you for a moment,

You for a moment, boy you.

I'm not convinced that this is the chorus tbh

Hmm... the garden of Eden was in the east. That's not necessarily just a geographical detail. There's the symbolism of the sun rising and setting, light and dark.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

That's not true at all, IMO. Both told personal stories through their lyrics as much as Lana does...and I find the emotional resonance to be quite profound. Lana implements a bit of social/cultural commentary as well.

I just don't see the comparison, they are both very post war political writers, whereas Lana's writing is more about 'her' personal issues particularly relationships, that's not political. Just cause she likes Cohen and Dylan it doesn't mean she has the same writing style. Perhaps her lyrics seem profound on an emotional level but they are not intellectually profound. TBH there's not one song of Lana's that compares emotionally or intellectually to the lyrical quality of say Suzanne or Bird on a Wire, if there is let me know. But that's my opinion, I think she's doing her own thing she's from a different era to them, it's so different to them, yeah I just don't get it.

If I went to jail, at least I wouldn't have to sign autographs