TIARNZUS

"Ultraviolence" to premier tomorrow on BBC Radio 1 with Zane Lowe!

LOL everyone's complaining about the DN line but that's one of the best lines in the whole song imo

I don't know why some people consider the lyrics genius, since the highlight line (He hit me...) was borrowed from an old song and then transformed into 'He hurt me but it felt like true love'.

In terms of lyrics those are the only redeemable ones, the rest is 'I love/miss you forever' kind of thing and that's just random and overused.

The spanish talking was a nice touch in West Coast, but for some reason feels cheesy and unnecesary here.

I liked the beggining (so epic) and the wahwahwah in the chorus...

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Welp it doesn't look like I'm getting this tonight, this is about to be ultraviolence, for reals

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

You can tell a lot of people on this forum have never listened to anything beyond 2010s pop tbh.

This cinematic rock sound is exceedingly beautiful and emotionally resonant. I also love the subtlety of the sound that harks back to the songs of the 60s and 70s.

it's definitely a bit of the body electric effect in which i prefer the live to the studio. studio seems a bit muffled but again that could definitely be vevo. ready for 320 version tbh.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

:defeated: it slays me so hard. It's not the best lyrically, but I think it might be the best atmospherically (if that makes any sense). Although West Coast and Shades of Cool are amazing amtmospherically, also.

As for people preferring the live over the studio version, I usually don't prefer the live version of anything :eek: , so I don't have any issues there.

Nothing scares me anymore.

Dark, rock, syncopated, evocative and liberating.

You all have to deal with the fact that the big strings and the pumped vocals are 2012, this is the new Lana's aesthetic.

It's ridiculous from you to spend time by telling that it's different and finding negative things to say.

If you don't like those new songs so keep listening the other, thanks internet we all have 150+ songs from her.

This album will be a "Ray spray", tbh :teehee:

I think I just need to listen to it a few more times before I am in awe as I am with West Coast in SoC. lol I remember when WC first came out it took me a bit for it to register then I ended up loving it. Shades of Cool stayed in my head for days so I knew it was an instant new Lana classic. I'm happy it's doing so well on iTunes, she deserves to be heard by as many people as possible. :hooker:

When did this forum become filled with so many profane name-calling rude people? If I have to weed through uncalled for/ immature comments just to read a normal actual opinion of the song then I know it's out of hand. And I haven't even heard the song yet.  :wtf:

not to be melodramatic or anything

I am a shark,  beware of my bark

It could become easy with good music video and little promotion.

The only good that came from that is when it finally did come on the radio, whatever station we use where I work, it played SS. But, the album version, not the remix.

I think Ultraviolence is a pretty good song, obviously not her best, but I prefer it over Shades of Cool (West Coast is still my favorite so far). Unlike most people here, I really love the Deadly Nightshade/Poison Ivy references. She's comparing herself to plants that are dangerously beautiful -- very pretty to the eye but could kill you with one touch. I think it's sort of brilliant actually, it fits with the whole persona Lana's been building all of this time tying in danger, sex, glamour, etc. Lyrically, I think she could have done a little more with the song. I agree with @@Deadly Nightshade in the sense that she had the chance to create a really great story, but it seems the plot line is just a bit flat. I do appreciate the little dip into her past, though. 

As far as the production goes, I like it but it just seems like with this song, and all three songs so far, her voice sounds sort of muffled and quiet at times with all the live instrumentation. I know that's probably something Lana/Dan wanted when producing the album but I, personally, just don't like it. Lana's voice should be the focal point of the songs and the live music should enhance it, not drown it out. Overall, I'd probably give Ultraviolence 3/5 stars. I won't put it on repeat, but it won't go un-played in my library.

I think Ultraviolence is a pretty good song, obviously not her best, but I prefer it over Shades of Cool (West Coast is still my favorite so far). Unlike most people here, I really love the Deadly Nightshade/Poison Ivy references. She's comparing herself to plants that are dangerously beautiful -- very pretty to the eye but could kill you with one touch. I think it's sort of brilliant actually, it fits with the whole persona Lana's been building all of this time tying in danger, sex, glamour, etc. Lyrically, I think she could have done a little more with the song. I agree with @@Deadly Nightshade in the sense that she had the chance to create a really great story, but it seems the plot line is just a bit flat. I do appreciate the little dip into her past, though. 

Exactly like the comparison is brilliant and a great opportunity! But I don't think the way to throw it out there is by saying that ur bf calls u taht like, Just no. This are the opportunities I talk about like she could've used this comparison in another way and make it not sound ~ weird ~ For some idk

When I heard the live version, I expected it to be the standout song of the album. I was disappointed that the vocals are so airy in the chorus, but it grew on me by the end of one listen. I especially love the bridge ("We could go back to New York..."), the "I can hear sirens" line, and the reverb guitar around the 'sirens' part.