Sebastian

WC, SOC, UV, BB - your favorite single? [updated]

154 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite single from UV so far?

• West Coast
    • Shades Of Cool
    • Ultraviolence
    • Brooklyn Baby

I don't know how I feel about Ultraviolence yet, I like it musically but it's seems lyrically wrong for me  :ohno:

What?

Ultraviolence is my fave because of those freakin flawless lyrics! :emma: 

I love them so much they are perfect

I mean, come on:

He hit me and it felt like a kiss

I can hear violins, violins

and also, this flawless line

Heaven is on earth

I would do anything for you, babe

:uh:

I mean, come on:

That's not ever her's, she borrowed it from an old song

Heaven is on earth

Heaven is a place on Earth with you,

Tell me all the things you want to do

It's Video Games, ever heard of it?

Not trying to sound nasty or be a hater, I'm just pissed this era's lyrics are so weak. I feel like she's not even trying

ZmJh1LG.jpg

That's not ever her's, she borrowed it from an old song

Heaven is a place on Earth with you,

Tell me all the things you want to do

It's Video Games, ever heard of it?

Not trying to sound nasty or be a hater, I'm just pissed this era's lyrics are so weak. I feel like she's not even trying

So what, that line is still great.

It was amazing in Beautiful Player, and it's still awesome here.

Don't be pressed hunty

And the other thing, well Dah! She is referencing her breakthrough song!

What could be more awesome than that, it's just the best thing ever

Guest Dot

So what, that line is still great.

It was amazing in Beautiful Player, and it's still awesome here.

Don't be pressed hunty

And the other thing, well Dah! She is referencing her breakthrough song!

What could be more awesome than that, it's just the best thing ever

What?

Ultraviolence is my fave because of those freakin flawless lyrics! :emma:

I mean, come on:

I can hear violins, violins

Heaven is on earth

:uh:

tumblr_m1733ewHFS1r4w8xyo1_r1_500.gif

Ultraviolence is my favorite but I kinda recognize that West Coast is the better song. And Shades of Cool is also really fantastic.

Guest Dot

I swear I saw like ten people saying they like West Coast the best, because they stayed up till 4 AM to listen to it. SMH at those :icant2:

Then again, if people like West Coast the best there's nothing I can do about it, but respect that opinion. :judgingu: But I think it's kinda sad that people always tend to like the lead singles the most...

Ultraviolence is my favorite by far (Live version) I dont see it getting any radio play though... I would assume West Coast makes it on to the radio far sooner.  West coast has a more american PoP beat.

1.SOC this is bc you can really here lana's vocal capabilties/song writing ablity evolving.SOC is an epic cinamatic ballad and dare i say it one of the best tracks she's ever recorded imo.

2.WC I love this track now but it took about two listens to get into massively. The tempo change was at first jarring then I began to enjoy it.My fav part in the song is the chours its so very beautiful and yet so unexpected especailly when you listened to it for the first time.

3.UV I personally like both the live and studio version of uv but what bugs me is that so far its the weakest lyrically so far. I love the chours and the bridge there beyond heavenly but the verses especially at the start are erm okay.The strings and band are also worth a mention bc there brilliant and defintley make UV a bit more special tbh.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

For me its   SoC > UV = WC.

There's just something about the atmosphere that Shades of Cool creates that I personally really love and I also think that it's the strongest melodically/vocally and has the perfect amount of in-song variation. And as much as it bothers some of you, I like how the bridge is almost entirely drowned out - I interpret it as the song (and hopefully album) being less about the lyrics and more focused on the emotion and passion conveyed through the music as a whole.

As for Ultraviolence, I didn't really like it that much while listening to the premiere but now that we've got the higher quality version I've warmed up to it considerably. I feel like UV is the strongest sonically when compared to the other two - the faded piano and strings are gorgeous, and I love the way the vocals are layered. The instrumentation makes me picture a run-down and overgrown atrium, and the vocals create this really murky and tainted vibe that add to the imagery. I especially love how the vocals conflict with one another at various points in the song.

Aaannnddd then there's West Coast, which (to me at least) easily takes the honor of being the strongest lyrically. I'm not too big on the vocals here, there's just something about them during the verses that doesn't really click with me. On the other hand though, I do really like how well the tempo changes were handled.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda hoping that these comprise the album's weakest points and that Lana is just letting us vent over them before the rest of the album - these just seem like really awkward choices for pre-album promo, and I feel like if she wasn't we would've already gotten Cruel World and maybe Money Power Glory since she started talking about it so early on.

qpgosw.jpg

ULTRA-FREAKING-VIOLENCE!!!!! I FELL IN LOVE WITH ULTRAVIOLENCE AS SOON AS I HEARD IT LIVE! AND NOW I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO IT (AND BROOKLYN BABY)!

But West Coast Doesn't fall far behind.

P.S. don't ask about the giant font and colours... I just felt like it :whatever:

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

For me, West Coast will always be my favourite from this era because it's the first thing I heard. It represents this whole album to me, I love it. 

Shades of Cool is fucking epic. It reminds me of Yayo kind of. I love it but I probably won't listen to it often, because it's so heavy.

Brooklyn Baby is the track I'll probably listen to the most out of the four. I hated the snippet but as soon as I heard the full thing I loved it immediately.

Ultraviolence is my least favourite. It's your stereotypical LDR song. It just isn't anything special, plus the live version was better than the studio imo.

tl;dr SoC, BrBa, WC are all tied and are amazing. UV sucks.