Jared

Ultraviolence Reviews: 74 Metascore (DISCUSS REVIEWS ONLY)

Too bad that this doesn't go on MetaCritic. 

We still have the Consequence of Sound review to look forward to. I'm a bit wary of the New York Times review...the author of the interview piece would give UV a very positive review, but it could be a completely different writer.

P4K predictions? I'm hoping for at least a 6.0, but that is probably optimistic given their past abuse/current mocking of her. They certainly write about her consistently enough to to owe her a decent review, but we all know it's for the SEO. Obviously should be getting Best New Music, but let's not kid ourselves.

I bet the guy at NY Daily said UV is monotonous never listened to rock before!

On the contrary, he seems too crotchety and bitter to not be well versed in classic dad-rock, and the idea of a highly stylized 28 year old woman appropriating that sound for her "childish, monotone, etc) songs about death, abusive relationships and opulence is upsetting to him. Even when he begrudgingly admits some minuscule thing about the album doesn't suck, he makes sure to attribute it to a man. Also "her vocals make it sound like she just slipped herself a date rape drug" Fucking really? Let's just stick with the benzodiazepine comparisons if we must do the "lol how sedated is this bitch" thing.

Even if Lana doesn't see the sexism in some of the critique surrounding her rise, it is there, and it has always been there. 

tZ7WN4B.gif

Pitchfork seems to be into Lana right now. Most of their pieces about her aren't too rude, she played Coachella, and the kind of music they go to bat for in general (critically acclaimed gentrified Brooklyn music) seems to be going in a more tragic, acoustic direction. Especially as Lana is setting herself apart from the Artpop, Prism, Bangerz style of "relevant pop star music". And yes, Lana is a relevant pop star, and yes  those are the same teenage girls and "ironic"(or not) young adults connect to Wrecking Ball and Blue Jeans in the same breath.

tZ7WN4B.gif

Pitchfork seems to be into Lana right now. Most of their pieces about her aren't too rude, she played Coachella, and the kind of music they go to bat for in general (critically acclaimed gentrified Brooklyn music) seems to be going in a more tragic, acoustic direction. Especially as Lana is setting herself apart from the Artpop, Prism, Bangerz style of "relevant pop star music". And yes, Lana is a relevant pop star, and yes  those are the same teenage girls and "ironic"(or not) young adults connect to Wrecking Ball and Blue Jeans in the same breath.

Didn't Pitchfork eventually admit they were harsh on the BTD album with their review? i can remember reading that somewhere. It's weird, you'd think proper music journos wouldn;t get swept up in the medias calculated backlash.

I agree with some aspects of these reviews. I think what I struggle with is that the amazing melodies on Born to Die and Paradise aren't as prevalent on UV. Shades of Cool, UV and Brooklyn Baby have strong melodies whereas the other tracks don't as much. The same tempo in almost all of the songs makes the album seem to really drag out, which makes me lose interest in listening to it. I am still re listening though so hopefully my ears will catch up. :D

Didn't Pitchfork eventually admit they were harsh on the BTD album with their review? i can remember reading that somewhere. It's weird, you'd think proper music journos wouldn;t get swept up in the medias calculated backlash.

I remember something like that too. I think a lot of outlets like Pitchfork felt very "personally" manipulated by what they then thought the inauthenticity of Elizabeth Grant was. You can even tell in the review. An attempt to be "one of them" on a big label. How could a calculated rich girl be this sad, for realzies? I'll admit that there wasn't enough context for a lot of music writers to see much self awareness in Born to Die's lyrical content, so I can excuse a lot of the uneasiness and calling her out on vapidness and misplaced idealism, but a lot of it was straight up post SNL bandwagon hating.

tZ7WN4B.gif

It is basically all the same. 

Reviews from the UK will mostly give a high rating. reviews from the States will be lukewarm at best.

The one reviewer who gave her 2/5 should really be fired. Not because he gave her a negative review, but what he has written is utterly vile. Reviews can be harsh when it's needed, but bringing in rape into the review is so pathetic and offensive.

America never fails to amaze me. In a country when it's obviously okay to have cream titties as promo for your alberm and run around half naked since swimming over from the Carribean is obviously totally ok, too (and that's how it should be), but when you express the desire for a strong male in your life, you get trashed and called a product.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/album-review-lana-del-rey-s-ultraviolence-1.1828402

Irish Times gave the album 4/5. Idk what you all are complaining, it's such a better reception than BtD so far. 

Because the music is better, but the biases and personal attacks in the reviews remain. This type of slander degrades music as an art form, IMO.

This review won't go on MC either, but 5/5 from Press Play:

http://pressplayok.com/review-lana-del-rey-ultraviolence/

DIY Magazine (goes on Metacritic) 4 stars :)

She’s a Wes Anderson character that’s wound up in a David Lynch film, and she knows it.

It’s hard to forget the mud-slinging, hype-stamping furore that met Lana Del Rey’s debut ‘Born to Die’. By that point, she was already writing songs about being famous, having to deal with zero privacy and fragile relationships - she knew where she was going. Everyone else did, too. Critics might have questioned her beginnings, her route to the top, but it’s all meaningless today. She remains the most curious pop star in the world, a figment of the collective imagination that somehow - despite her otherworldly quality - speaks to fans on a direct, human level.

Most songs on ‘Ultraviolence’ link up with a bluesy smoke of a sound. Whereas ‘Born to Die’ flirted with gloss and glitz, this is the sound of Lana hitting the road. Producer Dan Auerbach in tow, most of the time the tempo doesn’t get any quicker than a Kolo Touré sprint. It’s a strung out, tear-drenched collection, beginning epic with opener ‘Cruel World’ and only getting more dramatic as it progresses.

‘West Coast’ is an odd lead single. Within the context of an album, it’s a brilliant track, but like ‘Sad Girl’ and ‘Shades of Cool’, parts of this song feel almost intentionally out of place. Choruses - big, brilliant choruses at that - sweep in out of nowhere after awkward bridges and faltering falsetto-ed build-ups. It’s a strange, uncomfortable form of expression, and it’s a big part of a record that’s a hundred times more cohesive than ‘Born to Die’.

The highlight, ‘Brooklyn Baby’, manages to bring the dusty, fog-drenched breeze of ‘Ultraviolence’ into one brilliant single. It struts confidence, boasting the tongue-in-cheek line “Yeah my boyfriend’s pretty cool, but he’s not as cool as you.” But it also keeps the fragility that sums up Lana best. She’s a Wes Anderson character that’s wound up in a David Lynch film, and she knows it. ‘Ultraviolence’ sees her playing with pre-conceived ideas. ‘Born to Die’ didn’t have a moment’s notice to deal with the backlash. This second record knocks the rumours and naysayers out of the park. After all, there’s a track called ‘Fucked My Way Up to the Top’. Confused by Lana Del Rey? Good - that’s exactly how you should feel. 

http://diymag.com/2014/06/13/lana-del-rey-ultraviolence-album-review