Born To Die

Ryn Weaver

Well since Ryn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Melanie, maybe obviously Ryn? :) :) :) :) :)

She's literally playing at a hotel in the middle of nowhere...like...I would be going alone too and it's crazy. But Melanie's show is at Webster Hall so she would maybe be @ her merch booth.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Also Walmart updated finally and their "exclusive" copy looks exactly same?? It lists the standard tracklist with 11 songs. The only possible difference shown is maybe the cover? The gold border around the picture seems a little bigger which I actually like http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/44997639

I've noticed that Walmart exclusives are usually:

a) Exclusive cover

b) Exclusive booklet with a poster (or something like that)

c) Free MP3 download code (which Amazon.com does anyway)

d) Extra remixes tacked on the end of the tracklisting

It's starting to look like the only possible things that could happen with The Fool are the exclusive poster/booklet/whatever or a free MP3 download. That is, unless they posted the standard track list or cover in error. I'm going to stop by my local trash can Walmart on Tuesday to check for this edition and I'll be sure to report back.

MkWI4Ns.png

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things Pitchfork said, but I don't hate the album because of them? They're always looking for some kind of mythic consistency and ~cool factor~ and let's face it, The Fool is super dorky. I think that's why it's charming though.

But which songs did they hear that are "minimal" cause.......

I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things Pitchfork said, but I don't hate the album because of them? They're always looking for some kind of mythic consistency and ~cool factor~ and let's face it, The Fool is super dorky. I think that's why it's charming though. But which songs did they hear that are "minimal" cause.......

the last 3? 

BzhmW.png

well I'll be picking it up on release day so no worries

I'm getting it wherever is cheapest. Gonna have to check Best Buy, Target and Walmart, The ads will be out tomorrow morning

BzhmW.png

So she's doing a show that's like 4 hours away from me the same day as Melanie Martinez that's probably 25 minutes away..which should I go to? I'd definitely meet Ryn and get her to sign my cd but I have a 50/50 chance with Melanie.

the first time i seen marina, i was SURE i would meet her 'cause it was her first time in the US. there was an autograph table and everything set up out front and her team even had us line up all neatly after the show but bitch ran out the back and hopped on her tour bus without even telling us sorry that we wasted our time waiting in the freezing cold for an hour. what i'm getting at is go see who you actually like more.

So she's doing a show that's like 4 hours away from me the same day as Melanie Martinez that's probably 25 minutes away..which should I go to? I'd definitely meet Ryn and get her to sign my cd but I have a 50/50 chance with Melanie.

Saw Melanie Martinez live back in 2013. I really liked her at the time and when I got to the show I was appalled at how obvious it was that she didn't want to be there and how awful she sounded. I've never walked out of a concert and to this day that was the only show I've ever done that for. Granted she might've changed  but I was so angry about that experience that I was never able to look at her the same.

the Pitchfork review really pissed her off...she's been passive aggressively tweeting about it all day and now she just @ the author...reminds me of when NME called Born This Way pretentious and Gaga said some shit back to them

BzhmW.png

the Pitchfork review really pissed her off...she's been passive aggressively tweeting about it all day and now she just @ the author...reminds me of when NME called Born This Way pretentious and Gaga said some shit back to them

Honestly I like her music, but she needs to grow up and realize every review isn't going to be 100% positive about everything she does. This is literally the first bad review she's ever gotten and she's throwing a fit like a small child and tweeting nasty shit at the guy who wrote the review................like seriously.....................grow up and calm down..............

Saw Melanie Martinez live back in 2013. I really liked her at the time and when I got to the show I was appalled at how obvious it was that she didn't want to be there and how awful she sounded. I've never walked out of a concert and to this day that was the only show I've ever done that for. Granted she might've changed but I was so angry about that experience that I was never able to look at her the same.

She probably was tired or something. Her vocals seem to have improved too, especially on live tracks like Mad Hatter (which I'm so excited for!). I've decided to just wait for Ryn's closer show in July than traveling to a concert by myself for 4 hours lmao.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Honestly I like her music, but she needs to grow up and realize every review isn't going to be 100% positive about everything she does. This is literally the first bad review she's ever gotten and she's throwing a fit like a small child and tweeting nasty shit at the guy who wrote the review................like seriously.....................grow up and calm down..............

i like this guy.

anyone else remember how pissed Lorde was when P4k gave her a 7.3? That's not even a bad review - especially for a pop album that charted so well. but i remember Lorde distinctly voicing an opinion that they gave her something like a "pissing awful review", to the point where she didn't want to do an interview with them. i had so much respect for her after that - just as i did when she turned down touring with Katy Perry. thing is, Lorde came across as mature, logical, and practical in that instance. it was an easy "if, then" statement, but i'm pretty sure there was some provocation before she voiced her side of the incident. she didn't just randomly start tweeting the reviewer.

as a pitchfork fan - albeit one who takes their opinions with plenty a grain of salt - i agree with them only about 2/3 of the time. just because they're my favourite critic site doesn't mean they have an infallible compass - and it also doesn't mean that my taste, my personal choices of "good" or "bad" music, are any better than theirs. (still shocked the infantile Fifth Harmony album got such a high score, though - that critic has done like three big pop album reviews recently, and she sucks. bring back Lindsay Zoladz.) my opinions are just that. mine. that's the beautifully subjective thing about listening to music in the first place. and, like any good critics, pitchfork occasionally changes their minds. just look at how they treated Lana initially, and how fond they are of her now. look at the first review of Andrew W,K.'s album, and the follow-up review a decade later. look at how harsh they were to Kanye's "808s and Heartbreak" in '08, and how much they've revered it in recent articles.

all those thoughts to say that i'm really disappointed ryn is acting so idiotically. major turn-off. quite frankly, having not listened beyond the EP and single, i had hoped for an album of "Octahate"s, so perhaps i'm biased beyond relief anyway. i probably still would have wanted to listen to it after reading the review - it at least sounded interesting! but seeing her responses - and sheer volume of them - i feel a sense of disgust. that's not what being an artist is about, let alone an adult. 

the best response i've ever read to negative criticism is from Regina Spektor, and i'ma leave it at that.

“I mean, in this book, it’s music criticism from the 19th century, and they’re ripping Tchaikovsky a new a–hole, but the thing that really gets me is that it’s written so beautifully. It’s nasty reviews in beautiful language, and that’s what I want,” she says. “My dad will forward me some of the stuff people write about me, and I think it’s all bullsh–. It’s all, ’Oh, this sucks, that sucks, blah.’ I don’t want that. I want you to write poetically about how bad I suck.”

Her reaction to the pitchfork review doesn't make her look too good tbh...like I get that she didn't like it but @ mentioning the reviewer or even subtweeting about it is in poor taste to me

Nothing scares me anymore.

Her reaction to the pitchfork review doesn't make her look too good tbh...like I get that she didn't like it but @ mentioning the reviewer or even subtweeting about it is in poor taste to me

Agreed. I understand being upset with the bad review, but if the album is really as good as she thinks it is, let the music speak for itself. Regardless of whether you feel the interviewer missed the point, posting shit like this and this, is just childish