Sitar

Eminem Raps About Punching Lana Del Rey

I'm glad that someone's standing up for the poor guys who get in trouble for belting women, though. It must be rough only being able to hit someone big enough to fight back.   :bye2:

Can I get you some more straw for your straw man? Maybe you could make an entire straw family. Have you put enough words in my mouth? Let me swallow a second so you can shove more down my throat. Sorry, I missed the part in my post where I condoned actual violence against women in between the three separate times I denounced him as misogynistic.

I can admit that he's a good rapper but he lacks lyrical quality, doesn't rap about real issues and he's the 90's male equivalent to Iggy Azalea. Just a white guy deemed the "best in his genre" because he's an anomoly and that was capitalized upon early in his career.

Yes, of course part of Iggy and Eminem's success is because like Elvis before them they sold black music to a wider (whiter) audience. But it's also because they're actually really talented. And I don't get the argument about lyrical quality. Sure, he's got his share of songs with poor lyrics, but a lot of his stuff has absolutely brilliant wordplay. And sure, he sometimes forces his rhymes too much, but that's what enables a lot of the wordplay. Also, for what it's worth, it's possible to both be capable of brilliant artistry and expressing something really awful. It's even possible to display brilliant artistry while expressing something really awful. Monicker made this point really well a while back.

I don't know if you're serious or not... but Lana singing about *wanting* a guy to hit her sexually isn't the same as getting punched twice in public and getting knocked unconscious.

I don't know if you're serious or not, but it seems rather a stretch to me to interpret all of Lana's lyrical references to domestic violence in a BDSM boudoir context. :usrs:

Honestly, I think the Ray Rice mention and comparison is the worst part. Did you see the video of him punching his fiancé? He knocks her out, after spiting on her face twice,  and drags her like a potato sack through the elevator floor. That scene is bizarre. So mentioning he would do the same to Lana is just...specially because US seems to have a problem in dealing with woman abuse since the guy didn't get expelled from the NFL. Amuses me hes still allowed to play. I'm all about freedom of expression and all I don';t condemn much, but that elevator video stuck with me, so in a sense I think is uncalled for someone, as famous as Eminem.  to spread approval over a violent and bizarre action a famous football player did and wasn't punished for

Lol. You guys are so literal sometimes. Literally. Even while there's this kind of grotesque vicariousness going on, it's not approval, it's still a dig at Ray Rice. And the Ravens. Nuance, people.

As I said before:

Em's trolling y'all.

But look how you react to this trigger like

When I call you a bigger dyke than the Hoover Dam

You playing right in Lex Luthor's hands

It's such a ruthless plan, might even lose a fan

But fuck it, Superman wouldn't change in a phone booth for Stan

He's always said shit like this just to get a reaction and all of y'all took the bait. You're just giving him the attention (and views/listens) that he wants.

I just wonder what she personally thinks of the line?

I think this is the most interesting question about this whole kerfuffle.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I have a problem with it because it doesn't matter what his meaning behind it is, if he is trolling or not. There are a lot of people out there who here such things daily and it becomes normal to say such things.

so yes I think we are allowed to be angry about this. Because it doesn't matter if it is just a joke or not directed to her album or whatever. violence against women is real enough. and if people especially the onces who have such an influence on a lot of people, keep making this normal to say such things it just keeps creating a place where it is normal to look down on woman.

not well worded, English is not my first language, sorry.

And about lana singing about violence against her. Its always personal. she is always singing about herself. never a widespread message about women in general. and she never attacks the men she is singing about. She sings about what she feels, how they make her feel, but nothing more.

This really bothers me because she said in an interview a couple years ago how much she loved Eminem. I can only imagine what it would feel like to have someone you've admired and looked up to for awhile speak so violently against you. I don't care what the context was or whether or not he meant it; it's still really mean and she's literally the sweetest person.

You took the words right out of my... fingers.  She always includes him in what she calls the masters of each genre.  I'm sure he's aware of that, and so for him to even think about a lyric like that, let alone publish it, is, to me, a slap in the face (no pun intended) to her.  It's just stupid, and highly insulting.

5ZeX0j5.gif

I know Eminem is super edgy (!!!) but this is just shitty:

“I may fight for gay rights, especially if they dyke is more of a knockout than Janay Rice/ Play nice? Bitch I’ll punch Lana Del Rey right in the face twice, like Ray Rice in broad daylight in the plain sight of the elevator surveillance/ Til her head is banging on the railing, then celebrate with the Ravens.”

But then again it's Eminem and we shouldn't be surprised in the slightest 'cause he's always been a douche. But then again nah fuck him.

My thoughts exactly. You rock!

I don't know if you're serious or not... but Lana singing about *wanting* a guy to hit her sexually isn't the same as getting punched twice in public and getting knocked unconscious.

And there ain't no way she couldn't be hurt or offended by that line lol. Imagine someone who you've loved so long dissing you by saying he'd punch the shit out of you. Smh.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Can I get you some more straw for your straw man? Maybe you could make an entire straw family. Have you put enough words in my mouth? Let me swallow a second so you can shove more down my throat. Sorry, I missed the part in my post where I condoned actual violence against women in between the three separate times I denounced him as misogynistic.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Eminem. I apologise that it wasn't clear that it wasn't a personal insult.

My problem with Eminem is that there is no subtext. You can create one if you want, and a lot of people do, but at some point, Poe's Law comes into play - if your act as a troll is so convincing and all encompassing, then at some point, you're just an asshole.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I hope no one in this thread is a fan of to Tupac, Biggie, Lil Wayne, Azealia, T.I., Kanye, Iggy  etc. all have had sexist and homophobic lyrics or displayed sexism and homophobis in their daily lives. Don't act like Em is the only one in the game saying shit like this. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

I hope no one in this thread is a fan of to Tupac, Biggie, Lil Wayne, Azealia, T.I., Kanye, Iggy  etc. all have had sexist and homophobic lyrics or displayed sexism and homophobis in their daily lives. Don't act like Em is the only one in the game saying shit like this. 

Are we still on the "Azealia called Perez a faggot"-thing? I swear, I wouldn't called him only that. 

Are we still on the "Azealia called Perez a faggot"-thing? I swear, I wouldn't called him only that. 

I don't really care that she said it, Perez is a piece of shit, it's just hypocritical that people are bashing Em for saying the same kind of shit their favs say. There's no difference between him & her using the world. 

I don't really care that she said it, Perez is a piece of shit, it's just hypocritical that people are bashing Em for saying the same kind of shit their favs say. There's no difference between him & her using the world. 

The word itself is not the issue, not for me anyway. It's the context and everything else that follows that word. 

I am not sure if you read my post above that I personally regard "Kim" and "Bonnie & Clyde" as his best songs. My problem (which is already too much cause I wouldn't actively look his music up these days) is the fact that everything has been said and done.

His music came out at a time when Nu-metal with acts like Limp Bizkit and Korn reached its heights. Music full of trash, anger and hatered. Marilyn Manson was at least really shocking in the very beginning, but he also didn't capture the shock-volume for too long. 

Music like that loses its strength after a while. It remains a mystery to me how Eminem was able to maintain his success, cause he hasn't really offered any artistic growth in my opinion.

The word itself is not the issue, not for me anyway. It's the context and everything else that follows that word. 

I am not sure if you read my post above that I personally regard "Kim" and "Bonnie & Clyde" as his best songs. My problem (which is already too much cause I wouldn't actively look his music up these days) is the fact that everything has been said and done.

His music came out at a time when Nu-metal with acts like Limp Bizkit and Korn reached its heights. Music full of trash, anger and hatered. Marilyn Manson was at least really shocking in the very beginning, but he also didn't capture the shock-volume for too long. 

Music like that loses its strength after a while. It remains a mystery to me how Eminem was able to maintain his success, cause he hasn't really offered any artistic growth in my opinion.

I think he's stayed relevant because he's still just being himself and doing what he loves. You could say that about any artist though, what's going to keep Lana relevant in a few years? Eventually people are going to say she's been making the same music over & over again & she isn't doing anything special. 

Glad people who said Eminem was their fav are suddenly joining the hate wagon. He's talked about his domestic violence with Kim in several songs. It isn't like domestic violence is anything new in his music. If he didn't name drop Lana 99% of y'all wouldn't even give a shit. 

"It's okay because he's already a misogynist"?

I mean...that's not news, you're absolutely right. It's entirely the fact that it's Eminem. Like he's complete trash and easy to make fun of, that's the thing.

You are right, but I think it is  a difference if you use a homophobic slur, but are not a homophobe, or if you continiously promote homophobic ideas. But whatever, this isn't the issue of this thread.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!