ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

when ultraviolence came out I was legitimately shocked at how different it was. I'd never heard Lana sing that way on a track before, her voice never sounded so pretty as in brooklyn baby, as emotional as in pretty when you cry or as free spirited as the other woman. I want to feel like that again when listening to a new album

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

when ultraviolence came out I was legitimately shocked at how different it was. I'd never heard Lana sing that way on a track before, her voice never sounded so pretty as in brooklyn baby, as emotional as in pretty when you cry or as free spirited as the other woman. I want to feel like that again when listening to a new album

Yeah that's right. Especially BBY and PWYC conveyed such a new idea of her voice ...

I hope she does it a little bit more .. consitently this era.

Like, for UV we had the Neil krug shoot and the album, both of them were different to what she did before. However, everything else was still very Paradise-ish. The photoshoots, the videos .. all oft his could have happened during BtD/Paradise aswell (of course I'm exaggerating a bit on this part, but you get what I mean).

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Honeymoon is a new era, which means it's time for something new and we all need to be fucking excited!

i agree! like i love her old stuff but id love to hear something different and a new direction!

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

I'm surprised that some of you guys weren't expecting the UV sound. Most of her unreleased discography and AKA were indie rock and she had been steadily progressing to full-on rock record for a while (the increase of guitars and pop/rock sound of Paradise and she had been playing rock versions of the BTD songs on tours).

I'm still expecting Honeymoon to incorporate more bluesy rock or soul than straight-up jazz. Ronson produces A LOT of the former.

The things I want upgrated on Honeymoon compared to UV: the choruses and the bridges. Lana simply delivered with BTD when it comes to bridges. 

The songs were really cinematic. You could almost see the setting of the song in front of  your eyes it was that on point. That was missing on UV.

The lyrics on UV were better in parts and somehow I felt that girl got so into her verses that she sometimes forgot about writing a killer chorus or a decent bridge compared to Born To Die.

However, overall, I like UV more than BTD, not in all aspects, but for the most part. I think it showed me a side of her that is more raw and not afraid of presenting her weak points.

I wouldn't mind a more polished sound on Honeymoon, though. Lana is too good to be a niche artist.

On top of that, it's a very rough sales climate to release music. I doubt Lana doesn't care about that. If she didn't, she wouldn't release an album so soon after UV. I am pretty sure that she was disappointed that her label wasn't supportive of it from the beginning and that it underperformed. After all, all artists have a HUGE egp.

Her new face, the new hair and the weight loss (she almost had a double chin during the UV era which is now completly gone) might be indicators that she is re-visiting the BTD / P era.

Maybe.

what I want her to keep from the born to die era is the way she unfolded her story...I mean obviously there are flaws in the album but there was something to it that made it feel like a world of its own, a journey...the whole mood felt more defined, the videos were more ambitious (ride?) and nothing on UV can top born to die/video games/ blue jeans as songs...

UV was more like a non-conceptual mix tape of songs with interesting production.

I don't want the same in Honeymoon. But I want similar virtues to it...

UV was more like a non-conceptual mix tape of songs with interesting production.

I wouldn't say UV was a mixtape honestly. It was a very cohesive album and all had the same atmosphere that Dan does so well. From tracks 1-16 it all kind of told the story, and flipside was an amazing closing song to the record. I hope we get influences between BTD/Paradise and Ultraviolence, but also some completely new stuff.

Demos_copy.png

I'm so excited to hear MTWBT omg I'm sure she's gonna slay us  :flutter: , it sounds so original and cool,

and I really liked the photo of her reading the old LIFE magazine, I hope she goes for that style (pink, purple and blue-ish filters/effects) :excited:

7wWWNZV.jpg

I liked the sound of the songs themselves, just not a fan of the 'cheap mic' effect. 

especially when it's on every single song, it almost ~killed UV

I don't like the production on UV that much it sounds really bad sometimes but i think it's rather Dan's fault than Lana's so i hope as long as he won't get involved with Honeymoon i'll be happy. I also don't think Lana will just make a btd pt II we have so many lana songs from so many different 'eras' in her life and she never just "returned" to an old sound of hers.

i76mrxw.png 

especially when it's on every single song, it almost ~killed UV

I don't like the production on UV that much it sounds really bad sometimes but i think it's rather Dan's fault than Lana's so i hope as long as he won't get involved with Honeymoon i'll be happy. I also don't think Lana will just make a btd pt II we have so many lana songs from so many different 'eras' in her life and she never just "returned" to an old sound of hers.

Ultraviolence production is dope. 

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

i think we should have a lot more trust in lana tbh. she knows her craft. she's disappointed us a lot with videos and promo before but has she ever disappointed us on an album? she knows what she's doing better than any of us do. she said the album will be more like BTD yeah but that doesn't necessarily mean her style is regressing, she's hired producers she didn't have for the BTD era, she's bringing new people's visions and outlooks into the mix and i'm really interested in seeing how it turns out.

RVhKIwP.gif

she said the album will be more like BTD yeah but that doesn't necessarily mean her style is regressing,

didn't she also talk something about focusing on writing big choruses or something along that when she released big eyes. i can see how she could mean that the writing style she choose is more similar to btd (and her older songs like old money) than to the one on uv

i76mrxw.png 

Ultraviolence is going down as one of the greatest albums of all time.

anything Lana does is 100% okay with me.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I don't see why you either have to like UV or BtD. I love both. They're totally different beasts. I have no doubt that Honeymoon will be different than the two of them. Just because she said it sounds more like BtD than UV did doesn't mean she's regressing in terms of style. You can go back to a certain style while still moving forward. It's not impossible.

I don't care which genre it will be, as long as it will be autobiographical, I'm fine with it.

Autobiographical ... nah pls not. In Lana's case, this always meant singing about men. I don#t mind love songs, since it's one of her trademarks, but pls no "autobigraphical" stuff anymore. At least not with the goal of being "autobiographical".

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Autobiographical ... nah pls not. In Lana's case, this always meant singing about men. I don#t mind love songs, since it's one of her trademarks, but pls no "autobigraphical" stuff anymore. At least not with the goal of being "autobiographical".

didn't she say that her lyrics are literally not autobiographical any way? Like they are autobiographical but not in a literal way.

i76mrxw.png 

Listening to Catch and Release, Maha Maha and Golden Grill, I reallllly want her to go down the experimental route because these songs are just so great.