ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

Ok, I could easily be posting this because I'm thirsting for more news (duh), but if it's true that the artwork is completed, then could this possibly part of the shoot?

28hj2vl.jpg

It's probably been discussed before (if it has, I missed it) but it doesn't look like a Galore outtake to me - which is what people said it was.

That looks so out of place if it is actually an outtake from Galore. I would absolutely love for something like this to be the cover. I want summer and colours and florals  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:

Ya'll are young and dumb if you think image and music doesn't go together.  :lmao:

They go like bread and butter lmao.

Okay you is maybe a special one of the GP that values music over anything else..that's cute and all but that's not how the world works honey. wake up.

The image, marketing, advert, the things that are presented to consumer decide whether they want to buy it or not. It isn't just the music. It's NEVER just about the music. 

The image of an artist also greatly affect her/his critical appeal. And I thought ya'll know this by now because BTD was trashed by critics not because of the album quality but because of SNL.

Lana cute lil hit and the fact that BTD sold 5 million leading up to the release of UV also effected the reviews of that album.

Like  :facepalm:

Uh, no. BTD was not trashed becuz of the SNL performance. It was trashed for a few reasons - many of them unfair, a small amount of them warranted, but mostly having to do with Lana being the it-girl to trash. SNL was a controversy unrelated to the actual album.  Lana was purported to be a fraud by the time BTD came out. The critics/ sheep reviewed the album under that assumption.

Everyone did an about-face when Ultraviolence came out because the album made them eat their words about her reach as a musician. They had to backtrack - they couldn't revert back to saying she was overproduced or couldn't sing or couldn't work with live instruments.

West Coast didn't cause too much of a fuss chart-wise, that could've easily turned critics off based on your dumb theory. And let me remind you - Lana had 2 of the biggest controversies of her entire career - the bad press kind - back to back right as Ultraviolence was being launched.

"I wish I was dead"... and "I'm not interested in feminism"

That got her a ton of criticism and once again people were deeply turned off by her. Ultraviolence was STILL given tons of respect despite all of that. And if you don't believe me, read the reviews and the 2014 year-end lists. Wow, look at that. So NEXT, your theory flopped.

:brows:

That looks so out of place if it is actually an outtake from Galore. I would absolutely love for something like this to be the cover. I want summer and colours and florals  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:

We have many talented people here who could make this a reality :)

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Uh, no. BTD was not trashed becuz of the SNL performance. It was trashed for a few reasons - many of them unfair, a small amount of them warranted, but mostly having to do with Lana being the it-girl to trash. SNL was a controversy unrelated to the actual album. Lana was purported to be a fraud by the time BTD came out. The critics/ sheep reviewed the album under that assumption.

Everyone did an about-face when Ultraviolence came out because the album made them eat their words about her reach as a musician. They had to backtrack - they couldn't revert back to saying she was overproduced or couldn't sing or couldn't work with live instruments.

West Coast didn't cause too much of a fuss chart-wise, that could've easily turned critics off based on your dumb theory. And let me remind you - Lana had 2 of the biggest controversies of her entire career - the bad press kind - back to back right as Ultraviolence was being launched.

"I wish I was dead"... and "I'm not interested in feminism"

That got her a ton of criticism and once again people were deeply turned off by her. Ultraviolence was STILL given tons of respect despite all of that. And if you don't believe me, read the reviews and the 2014 year-end lists. Wow, look at that. So NEXT, your theory flopped.

:brows:

Don't be an idiot plz.

UV would've been way more acclaimed esp from UK publications where the controversies started. NME is an example.

Wake up. You did nothing to dismiss my theory, infact you further explain how the image of an artist right before an album launch could greatly affect its performance (chart and reviews)

Had Lana continued her glamour girl look before UV and the cover was different the album would have flopped critically.

IT's not always about the music and u can go ask record excutive dat hunty

Don't be an idiot plz.

UV would've been way more acclaimed esp from UK publications where the controversies started. NME is an example.

Wake up. You did nothing to dismissed my theory, infact you further explain how the image of an artist right before an album launch could greatly affect its performance (chart and reviews)

Had Lana continued her glamour girl look before UV and the cover was different the album would have flopped critically.

kcxxy1.jpg

Where did she say anything about the artwork? I feel like the article which was referred to here before was most likely only quoting from the Billboard interwiev and they just got something wrong.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for her to return to the flower crown, surf noir, summery 50's inspired looks for this new era. I would really like her to reunite with Emile for songs along the lines of Off to the Races, This Is What Makes Us Girls and Diet Mountain Dew.

and also some blonde hair  :D

When I hear the titles we have so far I imagine 50's or 60's style girls on the hood of their car watching hot guys playing baseball during a hot California summer. I also think drive-thrus, cherry pie, coca cola, flower crowns etc.

This is exactly what I want  :candy:  :bodyisready:  :bodyisready:  :bodyisready:  :bodyisready:  :bodyisready:  :bodyisready:

Although I'd prefer her to go back to ginger hair.

qsVmBMd.png

Don't be an idiot plz.

Wake up. You did nothing to dismiss my theory, infact you further explain how the image of an artist right before an album launch could greatly affect its performance (chart and reviews)

Wait so if Lana had a beehive hairdo and a technicolor album color scheme, the critics would have skewered her? That's your formula? That's what you really believe? And you think that the Guardian scandal was only potent enough to get her bad reviews in the UK? Child boo, that controversy was all over US pop culture too, enough so that it even got her TV coverage. You really think that in 2014, pop scandals are limited to one country at a time? lmfao. Just don't.

Nevermind though, let's look at the facts: NME may have given her a tepid review, but they put her on their year-end best list at #25. Seems that was short lived. The Guardian, who Lana threw under the bus, gave her a glowing review. Spin put her at #5 for the year. Digital Spy, at 14. Mojo at #40. All UK publications.

Clearly the controversy did little to truly damage her UK brand if their if their most prestigious magazines still managed to highlight her acheivments at the end of the year, even if a handful of them gave the album so-so feedback in the interim.

You can't have your ridiciulous theory both ways. While it's not always about the music, especially with Lana given she's a character and an enigma, she's also not Mariah, or Gaga, or Britney, which is why we read over and over that she's the only pop artist without rival in this business. You speak of her as if she's a sports team that you wanna see win the championship so that you can brag about her to other fanbases. You're gonna be disappointed, CONSISTENTLY, doing that with Lana Del Rey. Have a seat.

Wait so if Lana had a beehive hairdo and a technicolor album color scheme, the critics would have skewered her? That's your formula? That's what you really believe? And you think that the Guardian scandal was only potent enough to get her bad reviews in the UK? Child boo, that controversy was all over US pop culture too, enough so that it even got her TV coverage. You really think that in 2014, pop scandals are limited to one country at a time? lmfao. Just don't.

Nevermind though, let's look at the facts: NME may have given her a tepid review, but they put her on their year-end best list at #25. Seems that was short lived. The Guardian, who Lana threw under the bus, gave her a glowing review. Spin put her at #5 for the year. Digital Spy, at 14. Mojo at #40. All UK publications.

Clearly the controversy did little to truly damage her UK brand if their if their most prestigious magazines still managed to highlight her acheivments at the end of the year, even if a handful of them gave the album so-so feedback in the interim.

You can't have your ridiciulous theory both ways. While it's not always about the music, especially with Lana given she's a character and an enigma, she's also not Mariah, or Gaga, or Britney, which is why we read over and over that she's the only pop artist without rival in this business. You speak of her as if she's a sports team that you wanna see win the championship so that you can brag about her to other fanbases. You're gonna be disappointed, CONSISTENTLY, doing that with Lana Del Rey. Have a seat.

Ok, but her sales in the UK declined, and I am being friendly here.

From 960k to 150k. Her brand is for sure demaged in the UK or people simply lost interest in her.

The Guardian played a role in there and her Glasto performance was just bad as well

Hell, she had a hell of a bad year in terms of promoting her work. Let's hope it changes.

Ok, but her sales in the UK declined, and I am being friendly here.

From 960k to 150k. Her brand is for sure demaged in the UK or people simply lost interest in her.

The Guardian played a role in there and her Glasto performance was just bad as well

Hell, she had a hell of a bad year in terms of promoting her work. Let's hope it changes.

Not denying that. But honestly, the biggest reason why the album didn't do well is because nothing was selling it. Not even the singles. And the same happened in the US too. Didn't do that hot either. All this nonsense about hairdos and people buying albums when they "feel good" about an artist is bullshit, and if she "flopped" commercially (stupid word), it's not like she's a lost cause. Born To Die/Paradise did well because they had very good, unique pop songs selling them, with very well-done (VIRAL) music videos accompanying those songs. Ultraviolence had West Coast and Shades of Cool - I love those songs but Blue Jeans and Summertime Sadness they are not. And the videos were very stripped down. I won't even get into the fiasco that was the Ultraviolence video and single.

Plain and simple. Music sells when all the right ingredients are in place, and there was plenty of money making sure that was going to happen when she released BTD. It capitalized on the catchy-nature of that album. Ultraviolence was not an album of singles, we all know this.

All in all though, I don't really give a fuck if people in the UK don't like  her anymore so oh well. I only lament the lack of good visuals in the Ultraviolence era - everything else was really satisfying for me. Me I'm Mariah seems to feel like it's about what other people are thinking, I just don't really understand or relate to that.

ultraviolence only really failed here in the UK because she did literally 0 promo....the guardian stuff was big, but it wasn't as widely spoken about as you guys are making it out to be. it was hardly enough to affect her sales. it didn't make everyone suddenly hate her or anything, idk why you guys think it was that significant.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Lana writes for the music not the charts #UWontUseHerMind

Nah but Europe is her biggest market and I do think she has to get them back. Not really talking about sales but popularity.

Not denying that. But honestly, the biggest reason why the album didn't do well is because the singles didn't sell it. And the same happened in the US too. Didn't do that hot either. All this nonsense about hairdos and people buying albums when they "feel good" about an artist is bullshit, and if she "flopped" commercially (stupid word), it's not like she's a lost cause. Born To Die/Paradise did well because they had very good, unique pop songs selling them, with very well-done (VIRAL) music videos accompanying those songs. Ultraviolence had West Coast and Shades of Cool - I love those songs but Blue Jeans and Summertime Sadness they are not. And the videos were very stripped down. I won't even get into the fiasco that was the Ultraviolence video and single.

Plain and simple. Music sells when all the right ingredients are in place, and there was plenty of money making sure that was going to happen when she released BTD. It capitalized on the catchy-nature of that album. Ultraviolence was not an album of singles, we all know this.

All in all though, I don't really give a fuck if people in the UK don't like  her anymore so oh well. I only lament the lack of good visuals in the Ultraviolence era - everything else was really satisfying for me. Me I'm Mariah seems to feel like it's about what other people are thinking, I just don't really understand or relate to that.

Well, that's true. You listen to BTD and you hear hit after hit after.hit. Almost all of the 12 songs could have been singles. 

Somebody else posted here or was in another thread idk anymore, that to get a hit, it's simply not enough having a good song. You also need the label to fully support you and get you a radio deal and push you.

I am not sure if Interscope / Polydor are still interested in that anymore. She has to come up with great material.

I can understand MIAM to a point when it comes to that we as devoted fans also need the GeePee to like and buy Lana's music simply because it helps her stick around longer and gives music we love (hopefully) and motivation enough to get her drive back.

But regardless, the most shocking thing to me out of the interviews she gave was not the "I wish I was dead already" - thing, but more that she said she doesn't feel driven anymore. I was like: hell girl, but what is the purpose to release music when you don't feel the drive to get better, more exciting, challenge yourself??? That was shocking to me.

I actually think Lana's fan base has grown considerably over the last year despite UV not bringing the same success as BTD. She's become such a huge cult figure in a short space of time. It's so weird, there really is no correlation between how well her music sells and how popular she becomes, I don't know many other artists where this has happened.

Well, that's true. You listen to BTD and you hear hit after hit after.hit. Almost all of the 12 songs could have been singles. 

Somebody else posted here or was in another thread idk anymore, that to get a hit, it's simply not enough having a good song. You also need the label to fully support you and get you a radio deal and push you.

I am not sure if Interscope / Polydor are still interested in that anymore. She has to come up with great material.

I can understand MIAM to a point when it comes to that we as devoted fans also need the GeePee to like and buy Lana's music simply because it helps her stick around longer and gives music we love (hopefully) and motivation enough to get her drive back.

But regardless, the most shocking thing to me out of the interviews she gave was not the "I wish I was dead already" - thing, but more that she said she doesn't feel driven anymore. I was like: hell girl, but what is the purpose to release music when you don't feel the drive to get better, more exciting, challenge yourself. That was shocking to me.

I think Lana will always be releasing music whether she has a record label helping her or not. She might go indie and never make another music video or go on TV ever again. And certain fans will be fine with that and some others won't.

I don't put too much stock in what she says, I've learned that very quick. Sometimes I wonder if the girl is a bit depressed, but then I step back and say - "I don't even know this woman, what am I talking about?" Reading quotes from publications doesn't lend itself to really knowing the psychology of someone's brain. Lana is an enigma and I'm fine with that.

I actually think Lana's fan base has grown considerably over the last year despite UV not bringing the same success as BTD. She's become such a huge cult figure in a short space of time. It's so weird, there really is no correlation between how well her music sells and how popular she becomes, I don't know many other artists where this has happened.

Very true.

Anyway.

Lana's early descriptions of her albums are always so off. :toofunny:

I'm interested to see what this one actually ends up being, considering she has already contradicted herself in descriptions thus far. Jazz meets soft grunge vs. more similar to BTD than UV. As long as she sticks to indie rock, and preferably goes a little more upbeat with this one, I'll be satisfied. I trust Ronson, though. He's a musical genius, especially when combining jazz/blues and soft rock.

Maybe she just meant it had more orchestration than UV? Or I wouldn't be surprised if she was just misquoted and was talking about Big Eyes being more similar to Born to Die and Paradise.

I wouldn't say her "early" descriptions are off. 

UV wasn't supposed to be a rock album as it is now. It was suppose to be a dark, acoustic but still cinematic, spiritual album (see BB demo and Angels Forever) But of course Dan Auerbach got involved and recorded album again in the span of two weeks in nashville.

She describes what the record is at the moment. Also Mark involvement makes me very happy because he has hip hop in his blood just like Emile. The album won't be a snooze that's for sure and he has a massive hit right now. Things are looking good unless Lana somehow changes the executive producer once again. 

She describes what the record is at the moment. Also Mark involvement makes me very happy because he has hip hop in his blood just like Emile. The album won't be a snooze that's for sure and he has a massive hit right now. Things are looking good unless Lana somehow changes the executive producer once again. 

Has Lana confirmed Ronson will be the executive producer? Or will he just be involved in a couple of songs?