Sign in to follow this  
782anonymous

Spooky Black

He's a 16 or 17 year old kid from Minnesota. He's often compared to the likes of Yung Lean and Lil' B because of his ridiculous image and lyrics, but he actually has some talent. At first, I didn't know what to make of his name (he also goes by Lil' Spook) with him being a white kid wearing a du-rag and Fubu. Spook is a racial slur for black people, but I figure he's just a kid who is ignorant about the potential negative connotations of his name. He sings a lot about suicide and heartbreak. His producers are dope, and I like how he doesn't sound like his balls haven't dropped. It's a nice change from having to listen to high-pitched singers like The Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, and almost every other mainstream r&b/pop singer of the past 10 years.

His most popular song that got him noticed.

His first album.

His EP isn't as good as his first album, but still worth a listen.

so we had issues with Charli not addressing her race, but a late teenager gets a pass for going by a racial slur...anyway

It's actually not bad, certainly not what you'd expect from someone with that image.

BzhmW.png

From Complex[/size]

The good news is, he recently changed his name from Spooky Black to the less offensive, Corbin.[/size]

Now that he's blowing up, someone must have told him that his name is racist.  :toofunny: I've come across black teenagers who don't know why his name sounds racist. I only know about the slur from watching historical movies. It hasn't been regularly used since the 1950s, but combining "spooky" with "black" still makes me suspicious. 

This is an interesting interview of Spooky Black. He talks about having two mothers, coming up with the name Spooky Black because his first album was devil rap, why he changed his name, being inspired by Keith Sweat, wanting to be alone all the time, and why he dresses in weird clothing.

http://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/article/lose-yourself-in-the-sound-of-corbin