trayertrash

The Rock/Punk/Metal Heads Thread

I appreciate the discussion y'all! 

@longtimeman I totally agree with you that extreme gatekeeping is bad and annoying, but I think my point is that I do see value in preserving what "goth" (or any subculture) means. And it really is just being a fan of the music, period, not even wearing black and definitely not having to be in the UK in the 80s. I appreciate young people experimenting and I think that its awesome and should be encouraged! But as I mentioned before, for me, misrepresentation of what the subculture actually is caused me to reject it for a while when I was a teen/early 20s, which is a personal reason I do think it is important to educate people that don't know and want to get involved, but obviously in a friendly and encouraging way. 

@trayertrash

First of all, I'm really sorry you had to deal with that. I feel your pain as well, as my two main genres are goth/death rock and pop. I'm fortunate enough that every time I've had a discussion about it with other goths that they've pretty much said no one really cares and there is no "goth point" system. It sucks that that hasn't been your experience though :/ Also didn't know you were goth  :creep: If you have any underground bands/songs you recommend and have a kinda cinematic quality to them let me know, I'm always hunting around. 

Most folks aren't going out of their way digging into the music, fashion & history of a subculture to seem cool or whatever.

I agree for the music and history part, but for goth in particular you tend to see more people just like the fashion/wearing black, call themselves goth, and ignore everything else, which is pretty annoying for a music-based subculture. There are asshole elitists out there, but also kids that say "well I'm Wicca and wear black so I'm goth and I don't care about the music". But that is directly against what goth is. Alternative in general kind of trendy right now.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Also didn't know you were goth  :creep: If you have any underground bands/songs you recommend and have a kinda cinematic quality to them let me know, I'm always hunting around. 

I agree for the music and history part, but for goth in particular you tend to see more people just like the fashion/wearing black, call themselves goth, and ignore everything else, which is pretty annoying for a music-based subculture. There are asshole elitists out there, but also kids that say "well I'm Wicca and wear black so I'm goth and I don't care about the music". But that is directly against what goth is. Alternative in general kind of trendy right now.

I feel like you're the only one here to who didn't know since I used to never shut the fuck up about it  :rip:

These folks aren't necessarily purely goth or underground or cinematic, but they're somewhere on the goth family tree & I like them :) 

She Passed Away 

Diva Destruction

Lebanon Hanover

The Kentucky Vampires

Mourning Laughter

Der Klinke

Last Dusk

Christine Plays Viola

Garden Of Delight

I swear to god Liisa Ladouceur needs to do a Goth Family Tree and have a Lockhorns style debate about goth albums. She left Banger TV and I NEED THAT TO BE HER CAREER PATH BECAUSE HOLY HELL I WOULD WATCH THAT!!!  :rollin:

This is so damn good  :illumilana2:

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Ugh Bauhaus is fucking reuniting and playing a few dates in LA but I'm so broke from buying tickets to see Lana and Marina. I missed the initial sale because I forgot and was working  :defeated:  :toofunny:

I literally have to go though. Is anyone else in the area and going? I think most of my friends got tickets for the Nov 3 show and that's the super fucking expensive one. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Damn, this hasn't really been the best year for metal. It was a struggle to name 7 albums/eps that I really loved whereas previous years it would be a struggle to only name 20 I loved. 

My favorites 

Midnight Dice - Midnight Dice (not shocking at all considering Mandy was formerly in Satan's Hollow. Their album is one of my favorite albums of all time from any genre)

Mystik - Mystik (probably my most listened to album of the year) 

Rotten Reputation - BDSM (pure feminist punk bliss)

Solicitor - Solicitor (so good!!) 

Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (I loved it the first dozen or so listens, but now it's just... okay?) 

Rotten Reputation - Aftercare (not as good as BDSM, but it's still good)

Hess - Harpokrates (not my absolute favorite but it's pretty good)

Albums I thought were okay but not the best

Acid Reign - The Age Of Entitlement

Aphrodite - Lust & War

Chevailer - Destiny Calls

Jinjer - Macro

Jinjer - Micro

Kampfar - Ofidians Manifest

Kobra & The Lotus - Evolution

Overkill - The Wings Of War

Pistol Peaches - Sappy

Riot City - Burn The Night

Screamer - Highway Of Heroes

Secret Shame - Dark Synthetics

Sick Bags - Only The Young Die Good

Smooch - Promo

Thereareman - Asher Weston Kyle Remington IV (Demo) shameless self promo  :creep:

Toxic Holocaust - Primal Future: 2019

Traveler - Traveler

I might've missed some stuff?

still looking forward to:

Angel Witch - Angel Of Light

Crystal Viper - Tales Of Fire & Ice

Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas

2020 seems like it's going to be great consider my 3 favs are probably releasing :D

Accept

Annihilator 

Anthrax

Carcass

Cradle Of Filth

Epica 

Exciter

Exodus

Iron Maiden!!!!!!

Kreator!!!!!!

Mushroomhead

Napalm Death

Nightwish

Overkill

Rob Zombie (I already know I'll hate it, but ugh, I still have faith in him even though he hasn't released anything good in 13 years)

Saxon

Self Disgrace!!!! 

Sepultura

Sodom

Tankard (it'll be 100% shit, but idk, I always want to like them despite nothing being good  :toofunny:)

Testament

Vixen 

I just remembered this! Sharon Den Adel of Within Temptation got to meet Lana on TV a while ago and was the first live performance of Ride.

I have a lol at Lana being asked if she liked Within Temptations music and she was like "we were listening to Ice Queen...." But it was pretty obvious that it's just not her kind of music  :lmao:

Also a reminder that this exists and I actually love it 

Damn, this hasn't really been the best year for metal. It was a struggle to name 7 albums/eps that I really loved whereas previous years it would be a struggle to only name 20 I loved. 

My favorites 
Midnight Dice - Midnight Dice (not shocking at all considering Mandy was formerly in Satan's Hollow. Their album is one of my favorite albums of all time from any genre)
Mystik - Mystik (probably my most listened to album of the year) 
Rotten Reputation - BDSM (pure feminist punk bliss)
Solicitor - Solicitor (so good!!) 
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus (I loved it the first dozen or so listens, but now it's just... okay?) 
Rotten Reputation - Aftercare (not as good as BDSM, but it's still good)
Hess - Harpokrates (not my absolute favorite but it's pretty good)

Albums I thought were okay but not the best

Acid Reign - The Age Of Entitlement
Aphrodite - Lust & War
Chevailer - Destiny Calls
Jinjer - Macro
Jinjer - Micro
Kampfar - Ofidians Manifest
Kobra & The Lotus - Evolution
Overkill - The Wings Of War
Pistol Peaches - Sappy
Riot City - Burn The Night
Screamer - Highway Of Heroes
Secret Shame - Dark Synthetics
Sick Bags - Only The Young Die Good
Smooch - Promo
Thereareman - Asher Weston Kyle Remington IV (Demo) shameless self promo  :creep:
Toxic Holocaust - Primal Future: 2019
Traveler - Traveler
I might've missed some stuff?

still looking forward to:
Angel Witch - Angel Of Light
Crystal Viper - Tales Of Fire & Ice
Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas

2020 seems like it's going to be great consider my 3 favs are probably releasing :D

Accept
Annihilator 
Anthrax
Carcass
Cradle Of Filth
Epica 
Exciter
Exodus
Iron Maiden!!!!!!
Kreator!!!!!!
Mushroomhead
Napalm Death
Nightwish
Overkill
Rob Zombie (I already know I'll hate it, but ugh, I still have faith in him even though he hasn't released anything good in 13 years)
Saxon
Self Disgrace!!!! 
Sepultura
Sodom
Tankard (it'll be 100% shit, but idk, I always want to like them despite nothing being good  :toofunny:)
Testament
Vixen 

You could name 20 in previous years!? Omg, I struggle to name 5 good albums each year, let alone for rock/metal!.

But you're right, this year has not been so strong . Besides the 2 I mentioned above, Sonata Arcticas Talviyö came out but I only connected to a few songs, and that is literally all I can say for other albums. 

Your favourites sound very intriguing. Six is a lot to me  :hdu:

You could name 20 in previous years!? Omg, I struggle to name 5 good albums each year, let alone for rock/metal!.

Omg the past 5 years have been some of the best years in metal history imo! Kreator, Iron Maiden, Mykur, Anthrax, Huntress, Black Sabbath, Cripper, Pallbearer, Judas Priest Holy Moses, Ghost, Girlschool, The Agnoist, Powertrip, Kampfar, Exodus, Exumer, Anette Olzon, Mushroomhead, Rotting Chirst...there's probably more I'm missing! Oh and Self Disgrace, Satan's Hallow, and Mystik released three of my favorite albums of all time from any genre :D 

I'd highly recommend checking out Midnight Dice and Mystik! :D