trayertrash

The Rock/Punk/Metal Heads Thread

Having to google

if every band you

come across is

associated with

nazism

~just metal things~ 

Which ones actually are? I've never worried about that. From my experience researching metal bands, most of them are actually great creative people with really positive accepting world views

But I guess I always am drawn to the metal bands that sing about nature and spirituality so

I'm goth so:

Sisters of Mercy

Bauhaus

Siouxie and the Banshees

The Cure

Christian Death (love love love Rozz Williams, RIP)

She Wants Revenge (ya I know  :toofunny: )

etc.

... and a bunch of local goth rock/death rock bands in SoCal. I used to be in a goth band so I got involved with the local scene. 

I get triggered when people say Marilyn Manson and Evanescence are goth  :rip:  :rollin: I know I'm being annoying but it is such a misused word. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Here goes a little rant...

What I hate most in the goth community is people who hate Evanescence and some other not goth bands like Linkin Park JUST because regular people label them as goth. You cannot deny that Evanescence and some other bands that hit the radio opened the gateway for SO many people to become goth for real. Amy Lee herself has said that Evanescence is not goth and is just a rock band and she doesn't like being labelled goth.

A goth liking Evanescence does not make them any less goth. But someone thinking that Evanescence is goth does show that they are ignorant to actual Gothic subculture and music.

When I hear someone say that Evanescence is goth I don't get triggered, but I do laugh inside because they really don't know what goth is and they are in fact missing out.

Which ones actually are? I've never worried about that. From my experience researching metal bands, most of them are actually great creative people with really positive accepting world views

But I guess I always am drawn to the metal bands that sing about nature and spirituality so

Burzum, Destroyer 666, Kroda, Nokturnal Mortum, Bound For Glory, Dark Fury, Hate Forest, Mayhem, Thor's Hammer, Eldrig, Bilskirnir, 88, Antisemitex, Xenophobia, Warhead, Goatmoon, Sunwheel, Absurd, Nordic Thunder, Weisskrieg, Ad Hominem...

The main genre to worry about is black metal.. It's basically a game of are they nazis, do they chill with nazis, or do they actively call that shit out (rare, but nice when it happens, Neckbeard Deathcamp is a nice example) Anything that focuses on Norse gods, paganism, etc. tends to be nazi (not all of it, it's just a subject that's been co-opted by them so any band that focuses too much on that is sketchy until proven otherwise) Then you have Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) & Ted Nugent, who aren't nazis, but has overall really fucking shitty views on everything. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Burzum, Destroyer 666, Kroda, Nokturnal Mortum, Bound For Glory, Dark Fury, Hate Forest, Mayhem, Thor's Hammer, Eldrig, Bilskirnir, 88, Antisemitex, Xenophobia, Warhead, Goatmoon, Sunwheel, Absurd, Nordic Thunder, Weisskrieg, Ad Hominem...

The main genre to worry about is black metal.. It's basically a game of are they nazis, do they chill with nazis, or do they actively call that shit out (rare, but nice when it happens, Neckbeard Deathcamp is a nice example) Anything that focuses on Norse gods, paganism, etc. tends to be nazi (not all of it, it's just a subject that's been co-opted by them so any band that focuses too much on that is sketchy until proven otherwise) Then you have Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) & Ted Nugent, who aren't nazis, but has overall really fucking shitty views on everything.

Shit that's scary

And I dig the Norse/pagan stuff, so that connection doesn't make sense to me. Whyyh ugh

Here goes a little rant...

What I hate most in the goth community is people who hate Evanescence and some other not goth bands like Linkin Park JUST because regular people label them as goth. You cannot deny that Evanescence and some other bands that hit the radio opened the gateway for SO many people to become goth for real. Amy Lee herself has said that Evanescence is not goth and is just a rock band and she doesn't like being labelled goth.

A goth liking Evanescence does not make them any less goth. But someone thinking that Evanescence is goth does show that they are ignorant to actual Gothic subculture and music.

When I hear someone say that Evanescence is goth I don't get triggered, but I do laugh inside because they really don't know what goth is and they are in fact missing out.

YUP! Like they aren't goth, but they influenced modern goths more than any other modern mainstream band and Amy was CLEARLY influenced by goth culture, even if she doesn't consider herself one. Plus, most of us were teenagers or younger when Evanescence came out, so our understanding of what goth is or isn't was still new. Then to have the media refer to them as goth, see them at Hot Topic - the most goth store any of us could semi-afford, having our churches ban their merch for being goth/satanic after that whole Lifeway controversy, and us relating our gothness to Evanescence.... like yeah, of course they have links to goths lol. I wouldn't have gotten into actual goth music without my love for Evanescence making me look it up! 

Shit that's scary

And I dig the Norse/pagan stuff, so that connection doesn't make sense to me. Whyyh ugh

I'm semitic pagan, so I really want to get into more pagan music, but the bm dudes who have co-opted it basically think Thor & Odin are white supremacists for some reason, and view that part of history as when white men were at their peak so they wanna go back to that so white men can take over the world. It's some crazy ass shit lol. Anyway, Symphonic pagan bands are pretty cool. I really wished I like symphonic bands more in general, but there's such a specific formula that most bands follow that it gets tiring to listen to. 

New Self Disgrace album is coming soon :D

Possessed released a new album, Revelations Of Oblivion, after a 32 year gap. I didn't have high hopes for it tbh. Like I didn't expect it to be bad, but with some of the older bands releasing bad albums the past few year, I didn't want to get too excited. Anyway, this is my favorite album of the year so far! It's literally perfect, no filler trackers, afkjsdlg it's so fucking good. Banger did a really good review on it. Sam's excitement made me cry because I'm a sap. 

Here's some stuff I've been listening to lately. 

https://satanshallow.bandcamp.com/album/satans-hallow

https://fallcie.bandcamp.com/album/born-again

https://eveandthelastwaltz.bandcamp.com/album/the-world-has-never-been-more-beautiful

@@trayertrash @@Ultra Violet

Totally agree with you guys, though I haven't personally met many people who hate those bands just because of the confusion. I see more complaints about the people using the term "goth" for anything that is even remotely dark and spooky. I see people call Billie Eilish goth ffs  :toofunny: I blame the media really though. There is also lots of complaining about how people who don't like the music but like the fashion label themselves as goth. The goth community is really protective of itself, and in lots of cases are a bunch of assholes about it, but its really annoying to say "I am goth" and have the average person assume you are Satanic, read Edgar Allan Poe, and are dead inside.  :rip: I had some frat guy try to dance with me at a goth bar once and tell me all about how much he loves goth music... aka Nine Inch Nails lmao. 

I will get off my goth soapbox because I even annoy myself talking about this and I think its mostly an internet/Instagram phenomena anyways. I've never heard any goth IRL give a shit about any of this but maybe that's because my goth friends are older and we tend to hang out at actual shows/events catered towards us. Anyways stream First and Last and Always  :creep:

Also gonna leave this here for the laughs. I was just starting to get into Ariana when I saw this and was like "omg this girl" but I got over it in like 2 seconds. Her impression of Amy Lee is pretty good. 

As for other rock music, I think Pink Floyd is everything that music should be (I know - original right?). Echoes is my favorite song of all time! I like more of their earlier work, from Piper to probably The Wall. I also like Blue Oyster Cult (particularly Spectres) and I've been kinda getting into Black Sabbath/Ozzy lately. 

I went through a brief (2 week) grunge phase, and by grunge I mean just two albums - Nevermind and Live Through This. They are my musical outlet when I just want to feel pissed.  :crossed:

My other rock tastes are pretty all over the place. My dad was super into 80s music so I grew up with a lot of the bands that were popular then, but I get a little uneasy that those guys were sleeping with 14 year olds on tour half the time (and sometimes singing about it). Its also annoying that 50 year old men think that is the only good music that ever has been or will be. -_-

Also, my boyfriend has me semi-into pop punk, but I have to skip around a ton on his playlist. His favorite band is The Wonder Years, which I like a bit. Its all about the songs themselves in that genre for me tho (and really any genre I don't typically listen to). I also learned from him that I am NOT into ska. The instrumentals make me panic internally because they are just too fast. It is like my ears are having a seizure. 

Totally agree with you guys, though I haven't personally met many people who hate those bands just because of the confusion. I see more complaints about the people using the term "goth" for anything that is even remotely dark and spooky. I see people call Billie Eilish goth ffs  :toofunny: I blame the media really though. There is also lots of complaining about how people who don't like the music but like the fashion label themselves as goth. The goth community is really protective of itself, and in lots of cases are a bunch of assholes about it, but its really annoying to say "I am goth" and have the average person assume you are Satanic, read Edgar Allan Poe, and are dead inside.  :rip: I had some frat guy try to dance with me at a goth bar once and tell me all about how much he loves goth music... aka Nine Inch Nails lmao. 

I will get off my goth soapbox because I even annoy myself talking about this and I think its mostly an internet/Instagram phenomena anyways. I've never heard any goth IRL give a shit about any of this but maybe that's because my goth friends are older and we tend to hang out at actual shows/events catered towards us. Anyways stream First and Last and Always  :creep:

Also gonna leave this here for the laughs. I was just starting to get into Ariana when I saw this and was like "omg this girl" but I got over it in like 2 seconds. Her impression of Amy Lee is pretty good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPj3JWSvFpA

Yeah her impression is good but it's only because she has the same vocal range. I can hear way too much mumbled Ariana in that impression :toofunny:

Same tho, I love her voice and she's incredibly talented. But I only like 3 of her songs.

@ the billie eilish thing, ok that does trigger me Lmao cause some eople think anything slightly alternative or dark is just goth lol.

When I was in my last two years of high school (Junior and Senior) I was very into European female-fronted symphonic metal bands. Loved Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, some Epica, Amaranthe, etc. It was all I listened to, I thought it was the greatest music on Earth.

and then my friend showed me Dark Paradise and Summertime Sadness.

Lana is what made me abandon those bands and get back into pop music again, and there's something about that transition from symphonic metal to Born To Die that amazes me lol

I still like those bands, but I find Nightwish to be very pretentious

negAbhB.png

Here is what I think is a very unpopular opinion in the rock/metal community.

I have never hated on a band for 'changing their sound'. In fact, I usually end up loving them more because I appreciate sound evolution and reinventing style so much, as someone who frequently changes myself. Guess that's just me being all round eclectic.

Some of the bands I've never stopped being a huge fan of despite major fights in the fandom over music changing:

- Evanescence: The Open Door is my favourite album, and I adore the self titled album so much too. Fallen, being the album everyone obsesses over, is god-given, but it is the least diverse and I really have to be in a sad mood to listen to it nowadays.

- Nightwish: I only liked a few songs when Tarja was the singer, but I became a much bigger full-time fan when Anette joined. Imaginarium remains my favourite album. I am not opposied to Floor either. She's amazing. I just "haven't had the time" to get into more of the new stuff. It's on my to do list.

- Bring Me The Horizon: their first 2 albums were too much for me, hence I ignored Sempiternal when it came out. Hearing That's The Spirit in full made me a fan and I realised Sempiternal was totally down my alley too. Amo made me a BIG fan and they're now one of my favourites. I think Amo is a genius album.

- Within Temptation has always been amazing and so advanced to me. The Unforgiving seemed to divide a lot of fans, even tho it became my favourite over time. I think it's genius concept album. I am a big fan of their new album Resist too and I am so glad they switched up their style again as it saved them as a band.

- Bullet For My Valentine gradually lost fans after Fever/Temper Temper. But I loved Temper Temper and I think it's so badly underrated. I caught up on Venom and Gravity more recently and they're back in my favourite bands again.

- Linkin Park: it's such a shame that their most genius album A Thousand Suns is overlooked, as well as Living Things which is my favourite. Their sound change honestly saved me and made me who I am. I think One More Light is very special, though it is like Lana's Lust for Life in regards to their previous albums. One More Light (song), Talking To Myself and Sharp Edges are like Lana's Heroin, Cherry and 13 Beaches- amazing additions to their discography.

- Sonata Arctica seemed to lose attention after Stones Grow Her Name. They kinda lost mine too in that era even tho it's a fantastic interesting album. But their newer sound in Pariahs Child and The Ninth Hour caught my attention again. It's so ancient yet modern and it's quite superior in that way that its more focused on evolution. I think they are musical geniuses with that piano.

Side note: I remember the wars between We Are The Fallen Fans and Evanescence fans (because of Ben Moody). I thought WATF were fantastic and I wish they never dissappered.

When I was in my last two years of high school (Junior and Senior) I was very into European female-fronted symphonic metal bands. Loved Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, some Epica, Amaranthe, etc. It was all I listened to, I thought it was the greatest music on Earth.

and then my friend showed me Dark Paradise and Summertime Sadness.

Lana is what made me abandon those bands and get back into pop music again, and there's something about that transition from symphonic metal to Born To Die that amazes me lol

I still like those bands, but I find Nightwish to be very pretentious

Omfg god I was the same. That transition omg, I've never heard anyone else acknowledge that <3

About nightwish, I think the only pretentious part was Tarja and the reasons she was kicked out. Is there anything else I'm not aware of?

The 'Is this real Goth?' conversation is just never ending. I remember back in the late 80s when my sister and her friends went to Goth clubs, they used to get shit from the 'real' goths there for liking music other than The Cure/Sisters/Bauhaus, and those idiots were thought of as 'poseurs' by the goths from the early 80s, and it kept on going further and further back until the only 'real' goth was a guy who met Robert Smith once and flipped him off for being a sell out  :lmao:

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

The 'Is this real Goth?' conversation is just never ending. I remember back in the late 80s when my sister and her friends went to Goth clubs, they used to get shit from the 'real' goths there for liking music other than The Cure/Sisters/Bauhaus, and those idiots were thought of as 'poseurs' by the goths from the early 80s, and it kept on going further and further back until the only 'real' goth was a guy who met Robert Smith once and flipped him off for being a sell out  :lmao:

Ya it really is still a hot topic unfortunately. I can't speak for what it was like in the late 80s but nowadays I think most goths would call those people assholes for harassing others about their music choices (probably unless the person said they were goth without liking the music). I think they are so protective because of this truth right here:

some [p]eople think anything slightly alternative or dark is just goth

Imagine if every time a person or celebrity wore a black band tee and blue jeans that they were automatically labeled a "metalhead" and people made assumptions about their religion/interests or think they are more likely to commit crimes. Imagine people who only listen to pop music call themselves "metalheads" because they wear black boots and have a nose piercing. Sure its harmless, but get enough of those people "representing" the subculture and being a "metalhead" eventually doesn't mean anything about the music. That doesn't happen too much for metal (that I know of) since that term is pretty specific, but since "goth" gets confused with "gothic" (oh boy :toofunny:) which gets mixed up with horror in general, I think that is why "goth" in particular gets so misused and why the people in the community are so fiercely protective. 

It is such a messy subculture, particularly on the internet. I know I've wrote a few short novels here, mostly just to give a perspective, but I do find humor in how outrageous and serious some goths get about what the "true" definition is. Like I said, that is just not a real thing if you go to goth events (unless you get guys like the NIN dude I posted about earlier ha)

I think I also personally care too much because for a long time, I rejected goth because of some of the usual assumptions around it, but had I known what the music was actually like I would have gotten into it and fell in love a lot sooner. As it is, I only found the subculture because one day I was like "well I like Tim Burton and Poe so am I goth?". The answer was... no lul, but then I discovered and liked the music and enjoyed it. So that's kind of why I always feel compelled to talk about it, because I'd love to turn someone who has the wrong notion of what goth is into a Bauhaus fan  :creep:

Obviously I am preaching to the choir here tho  :P If I DO ever have this conversation with someone (its maybe happened once in 2 years because it is really so trivial), I try to be nice and helpful about it rather than judgmental. I kinda can't blame people for not knowing when it is pretty widely misused.

Ya it really is still a hot topic unfortunately. I can't speak for what it was like in the late 80s but nowadays I think most goths would call those people assholes for harassing others about their music choices (probably unless the person said they were goth without liking the music). I think they are so protective because of this truth right here:

I definitely didn't mean to belittle what the music/culture of Goth is to you. What I was making fun of was the type of gate-keeping that has as its basis that because you weren't in the right place (the UK), or the right time (the early 80s) or listening to exactly the right bands exclusively, you're not a 'real' Goth. Eventually, the people who considered themselves the 'only true Goths' ended up hating the music and the culture, but still felt that they could judge every subsequent generation as being 'poseurs'. I'm very protective of the right of people - especially very young people - to be allowed to identify with a subculture of their own, even if they're not pure enough for the wankers who got there first. Most people don't care about finding a subculture at all, so for the 10% of young people who need to find something beautiful and different to hold on to, they should be allowed to do it in their own way, without getting shit from other people in the subculture. They're getting enough hassle from their parents, everyone else at school, their siblings, etc. It doesn't matter to me whether that subculture is Goth, metal, emo, or whatever else. Young people should be encouraged to be passionate about art or music, without having to worry about 'doing it right'.

The existence of Youtube nowadays makes it easier for young people to find music that's out of the mainstream, but in my experience, most high schoolers only want to look at the same Youtube stars or Instagram Influencers that everyone else does. It's still a special thing to want to seek out something from the underground.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

All of this goth talk made Evanescence announce a new album  :creep:

Oh here's my little goth/metal head rant. For the past 15 years I've been told by goths that I'm too metal to be goth while being told by metal heads I'm too goth to be metal, but also that I'm a perfect mix of both while also being the biggest poser of both.  :toofunny: If you feel connected to a subculture it's not up for others to tell you if you're good enough to be apart of it. Being apart of a subculture involves work & dedication that doesn't exist in mainstream culture. Most folks aren't going out of their way digging into the music, fashion & history of a subculture to seem cool or whatever. You have to be dedicated and interested, you know? The definitions of what goth is and isn't has changed so much of the decades, like who honestly gives a shit if someone fits this 100% mold of goth or not? There was a thing on youtube a few years back where goths would reveal their non-goth secrets & they were all slammed for it. No one is 100% anything & the lack of understanding that people don't have to only exist & like things that are goth is just... annoying lol.  Like yes, it's annoying when people are called goth for wearing black, but people can be goth inspired or show appreciation towards goth. It's annoying when inspiration and lifestyles are confused, but if someone wants to be goth then they're goth. Like no one is trying to be apart of something that will get them mocked, bullied, disowned, denied jobs & housing... 

As an afab person who loves metal.. well, I'll never be 'metal enough' because I have a vag. No matter what I listen to I'll always be told that I'm just trying to impress a man. It's not something that happens all the time, but it's still an issue. I don't participate in my local scene because of the sexism (racism, nazism, general bigoted fuckery) Like sure dudes, I'm listening to this Swedish thrash band who recorded 1 lq demo is 1982 while alone in my living room at 5 am because I'm trying to impress you. :toofunny: When I mention liking a 'basic' band (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.) then I'm told I'm just a poser who can only name a few bands. Meanwhile, I'm 100% sure I know more about thrash than anyone alive. Not to sound cocky about it, but I spent a year looking through every thrash band on metal archives, collected their music, and listened to most of it. I've put everything into thrash and I'll be damned if someone says I'm not a fan of it because of my body.  

Anyway, I was for sure more goth when I was younger. It my life my, my passion, my everything. While it's not something I 100% still connect to anymore, I still appreciate its place in my past. Most of my clothes are still goth inspired, but most of the time I'm just too lazy to put effort into my clothing. I've been dealing with some gender shit, so I've been playing around with my style & am sort of liking this very basic look of black pants & a Good Fellows™ shirt. But, deep down, I just want to wear Kreator & Iron Maiden shirts all day and eat chips. 

(I'm half asleep so sorry if this is a jumbled mess lol)

Here is what I think is a very unpopular opinion in the rock/metal community.

I have never hated on a band for 'changing their sound'. In fact, I usually end up loving them more because I appreciate sound evolution and reinventing style so much, as someone who frequently changes myself. Guess that's just me being all round eclectic.

Some of the bands I've never stopped being a huge fan of despite major fights in the fandom over music changing:

- Evanescence: The Open Door is my favourite album, and I adore the self titled album so much too. Fallen, being the album everyone obsesses over, is god-given, but it is the least diverse and I really have to be in a sad mood to listen to it nowadays.

- Nightwish: I only liked a few songs when Tarja was the singer, but I became a much bigger full-time fan when Anette joined. Imaginarium remains my favourite album. I am not opposied to Floor either. She's amazing. I just "haven't had the time" to get into more of the new stuff. It's on my to do list.

- Bring Me The Horizon: their first 2 albums were too much for me, hence I ignored Sempiternal when it came out. Hearing That's The Spirit in full made me a fan and I realised Sempiternal was totally down my alley too. Amo made me a BIG fan and they're now one of my favourites. I think Amo is a genius album.

- Within Temptation has always been amazing and so advanced to me. The Unforgiving seemed to divide a lot of fans, even tho it became my favourite over time. I think it's genius concept album. I am a big fan of their new album Resist too and I am so glad they switched up their style again as it saved them as a band.

- Bullet For My Valentine gradually lost fans after Fever/Temper Temper. But I loved Temper Temper and I think it's so badly underrated. I caught up on Venom and Gravity more recently and they're back in my favourite bands again.

- Linkin Park: it's such a shame that their most genius album A Thousand Suns is overlooked, as well as Living Things which is my favourite. Their sound change honestly saved me and made me who I am. I think One More Light is very special, though it is like Lana's Lust for Life in regards to their previous albums. One More Light (song), Talking To Myself and Sharp Edges are like Lana's Heroin, Cherry and 13 Beaches- amazing additions to their discography.

- Sonata Arctica seemed to lose attention after Stones Grow Her Name. They kinda lost mine too in that era even tho it's a fantastic interesting album. But their newer sound in Pariahs Child and The Ninth Hour caught my attention again. It's so ancient yet modern and it's quite superior in that way that its more focused on evolution. I think they are musical geniuses with that piano.

Side note: I remember the wars between We Are The Fallen Fans and Evanescence fans (because of Ben Moody). I thought WATF were fantastic and I wish they never dissappered.

Omfg god I was the same. That transition omg, I've never heard anyone else acknowledge that <3

About nightwish, I think the only pretentious part was Tarja and the reasons she was kicked out. Is there anything else I'm not aware of?

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I think Tuomas is a pretentious prick, as are most band leaders of that genre

and Ev is my SHIT

negAbhB.png