Fluorine

Charli XCX

It sounds like she's honestly trying to separate herself from True Romance because it's not really what she wanted and she did it to sound cool 

I don't think she cares who she alienates at this stage because it's going from niche to mainstream and success will follow with or without us

Kind of what I feared too tbh. Her original fans were the ones who liked her for what she did before and by moving away from that she will lose a few but gain millions so there's really no loss for her...

It's just really unsettling. I almost feel taken advantage of. I guess that's the downside of entering stan culture and becoming a super fan. My favorite artists are a bigger part of my life than most. I have Charli posters, I have her CD, I've made fan art... It's like I'm only sticking with her now to make my choice to support her so adamantly seem less wasted. Cognitive dissonance at it's finest.

I'm being 100% honest when I say if I were an artist of her caliber, I don't think I would "sell out". Granted, I'm assuming she made a pretty good living during the True Romance era. If that album put her in debt on the other hand with how much was spent on it and it not selling well, I could sympathize a bit more. It just seems so stressful to be a big pop star. I would be totally fine with having the notoriety of someone like Charli, Marina, or Sky. 

I'm being 100% honest when I say if I were an artist of her caliber, I don't think I would "sell out". Granted, I'm assuming she made a pretty good living during the True Romance era. If that album put her in debt on the other hand with how much was spent on it and it not selling well, I could sympathize a bit more. It just seems so stressful to be a big pop star. I would be totally fine with having the notoriety of someone like Charli, Marina, or Sky. 

As someone who's in artist management in the music business program in college, she probably broke even with True Romance

Not that making no money should be a reason to give up creative autonomy

BzhmW.png

@@iseeyouupsidedown I think the metaphor you presented about investments is very interesting and I agree.

I'm just having a really hard time forming a real stance on the situation at hand because I don't really know how Charli feels about it. Like I think we all assume or want to assume that True Romance is as special and amazing to Charli as it is to us, but I think she's hinted in some ways that it wasn't exactly "her". And if True Romance was really just her trying to be hip and trendy to the underground tumblr viewing crowd, then I see why she doesn't care if she cut ties with that sound/time.

I mean I wanna say that if I was in her situation that I wouldn't sell out, but idk because if True Romance wasn't really her true vision intended result and gave her no money, then it's hard for me to mad at her for moving towards a sound that is working better for her. Like after all, this isn't all about us, it's about Charli too and its her life. If Sucker can propel her into a better place and into a more stable state of living then I cant be mad at her for it. Yes, I still CRAVE more of the airy synthpop perfection that were the songs on True Romance, but True Romance is still there, it's not going anywhere. I'm sure I'll still enjoy Sucker a lot and have it on replay for weeks so, yeah. Idk.

H0bDaqU.gif

@@iseeyouupsidedown I think the metaphor you presented about investments is very interesting and I agree.

I'm just having a really hard time forming a real stance on the situation at hand because I don't really know how Charli feels about it. Like I think we all assume or want to assume that True Romance is as special and amazing to Charli as it is to us, but I think she's hinted in some ways that it wasn't exactly "her". And if True Romance was really just her trying to be hip and trendy to the underground tumblr viewing crowd, then I see why she doesn't care if she cut ties with that sound/time.

I mean I wanna say that if I was in her situation that I wouldn't sell out, but idk because if True Romance wasn't really her true vision intended result and gave her no money, then it's hard for me to mad at her for moving towards a sound that is working better for her. Like after all, this isn't all about us, it's about Charli too and its her life. If Sucker can propel her into a better place and into a more stable state of living then I cant be mad at her for it. Yes, I still CRAVE more of the airy synthpop perfection that were the songs on True Romance, but True Romance is still there, it's not going anywhere. I'm sure I'll still enjoy Sucker a lot and have it on replay for weeks so, yeah. Idk.

This is probably the most reasoned view on an artist "selling out" I've ever seen. Charli has professional as well as artistic ambitions and maybe it's hard for her to reconcile the two.

I've really gotten into BTR. It's probably my favorite of the three singles we have. 2nd is SuperLove and Boom Clap is last. I like the boom boom boom clap rhythm she uses between verses other than that the song is pretty bland.

This is probably the most reasoned view on an artist "selling out" I've ever seen. Charli has professional as well as artistic ambitions and maybe it's hard for her to reconcile the two.

I've really gotten into BTR. It's probably my favorite of the three singles we have. 2nd is SuperLove and Boom Clap is last. I like the boom boom boom clap rhythm she uses between verses other than that the song is pretty bland.

I thought SuperLove wasn't going to be on Sucker. Did I miss something? 

@@heartbreakhigh Beg her to put SuperLove on a deluxe version of the album? I can't stand non-album singles ;-;

Other than that idk I'm pretty new to Charli and I wouldn't know anything interesting to ask her. I've been reading this thread (I'm at like pg 160~ now) and I know everyone really wants Mess and Midnight (that hasn't leaked yet, has it?) and maybe title track of TR but other than that I'm kinda wet around the ears. CharliBoards is too big, man  :creep:

I listened to 14 yesterday and both mixtapes today and surprisingly I'm preferring 14 to either one. I don't have True Romance yet but I'm planning to get it. Not sure if I'll get Sucker, since I don't know if I'm gonna be able to stan for Charli or not. I'm kind of ambivalent since I'm not totally like YASSSS SLAY MAMA but I do like stuff like You (Ha Ha Ha), Nuclear Seasons, !Francheskaar! (don't laugh  :magikarp: ), Heatwave, sometimes I like Cloud Aura but sometimes it irritates me, Take My Hand, and of course I Love It. A lot of people said True Romance was a grower though so maybe Charli's work in general takes time to digest? She seems cooler than I gave her credit for.

I read the whole thread a few months ago. There was once an argument so bad that the thread had to be shut down. This was long before I joined, but people like to act like I'm the only one who starts arguments.

I read the whole thread a few months ago. There was once an argument so bad that the thread had to be shut down. This was long before I joined, but people like to act like I'm the only one who starts arguments.

Lmao oh yeah :mj3:

Then, there was that time someone brought drama from the Lady Gaga forum. That was entertaining.

That may have been before I joined. I feel like a longtime member now, I've seen a few come and go, I was here before 14 leaked... but I haven't been here nearly as long as some, although I was a fan of Charli almost a year before this thread was made. I just never really looked for a Charli forum because I was pretty certain one wouldn't exist. I only knew of ATRL.

I can feel the tick-tock when I turn my head
I can feel the tick-tock when I lie in bed
I can feel the tick-tock dancing in my brain

And I can feel the tick-tock running through my veins
But when the tick-tock stops, yeah my body, it rocks
When I close my eyes, I get electric shock

PLEASE GO IN ibraXbPGHNiSU.gif

I can feel the tick-tock when I turn my head

I can feel the tick-tock when I lie in bed

I can feel the tick-tock dancing in my brain

And I can feel the tick-tock running through my veins

But when the tick-tock stops, yeah my body, it rocks

When I close my eyes, I get electric shock

PLEASE GO IN ibraXbPGHNiSU.gif

What are those lyrics? 

Machinesssssssss :crossed:

Oh.. have not listened to that song in a LONG time lol... It's on my computer but for some reason not on my phone and I never fixed that. (and I never listen to all of my itunes songs on my computer anymore, I usually use spotify). I also don't have I'll never know on my phone for some reason... I should have just dragged every Charli song in... That will be fixed now that I have an iphone 6 and actually have the space!  :flutter:

Everytime I try to recall what Machines sounds like I think of Machine by Regina Spektor... The songs are really kind of similar. I remember it now that I'm listening again though!