Sitar

VIDEO PREMIERE: "High By the Beach"

Well, I also took film courses and have worked on several movie productions, and I liked the use of editing in the video to convey that sense of isolation, satire, and chaos. There definitely was a purpose and some people believe it was executed well. On top of that, it had quite a few very beautifully-shot sequences.

Opinions are funny things. 

I'll give you that it had quite a few nice moments, such as the beginning and Lana by the window but it just seems choppy to me. I just wish it had been shot in slow motion just like the first three shots and the ending sequence. That would've made it flow better but to each it's own I guess.

btw I'm not against hand-held footage at all but the whole following Lana around that empty house ended up looking a bit amateurish and dull

ZmJh1LG.jpg

did anyone else notice that after her cape gets #snatched u can't see her face.. lol i wonder if maybe irl she was chuckling/smiling and they just kinda darkened over her face so u couldn't tell LOL

also i think that this video was really just her getting together with a few people and being like "lets just do something simple and fun and entertaining but also i don't wanna leave my house :) " and i think thats exactly what she delivered! just a fun lil cute video thats what she aimed for and thats what she achieved..  the repeated shots and stuff i think were probably to add time to the video or to cover up where they sort of had to cut and do retakes or something, or just to add something to not make it boring tbh

i think its sort of unfair to go after the camera work when all it really is, is a guy with a camera following her around..  the only outstanding camera work was really when she runs to the upper balcony and the camera seems to go off one balcony and up onto another.. i thought that was pretty cool :)

maybe u can gif that and add light, then check her face...is that possible? 

It's nice to see people who clearly don't know shit talk about camera work for example. Camera movements were terrible and all over the place. There were a few nice moments, like the beginning and the ending but overall I wouldn't call the camera work good. Another thing that bugs me is those random cuts and repetitions that make absolutely no sense becuase they don't have a purpose and were poorly executed. I study film production so I'm coming from knowledge. And it's not like I'm a die hard BTD fan and I want those videos back, I truly enjoyed UV's visuals and I think SOC is one of her best videos as well. As someone said above me it's a mediocre video, a good concept but a poor execution.

Expecting tons of GURL BYE and stupid reaction gifs after saying all this :popcorn:

Oh the obligatory "I study film so yeah" post. How do you know that I don't know shit about camera work, fool? Man, film students are all the same. I used to be 1 myself. Everyone starts thinking theyre David fucking Fincher. It'd be funny if it weren't kind of tragic tbh.

ANYWAY, your insufferable post aside, it's obvious they were either working on a small budget or intended the whole thing to look handheld/home video/spontaneous. It's not like they just walked in there and turned on the camera and winged it. They clearly had enough budget for a damn helicopter, aerial shots, and a dolly tracking during the key running scene down the dark railed hallway, so it's not like they couldn't have done a smooth dolly style inside her house as well. So it's natural to assume they wanted a certain look to this. The UV video this is not.

So let me translate your post for you: the camera work is not to my liking or taste.

As for the random cuts - I'll give you that, it added nothing to the video except break up the pace. But IMO that's a small bone to pick.

Anyway carry on, hope you graduate. lol

Oh the obligatory "I study film so yeah" post. Ugh, film students. I used to be 1 myself. Everyone starts thinking theyre David fucking Fincher.

ANYWAY, your insufferable post aside, it's obvious they were either working on a small budget or intended the whole thing to look handheld. It's not like they just walked in there and did the video impromptu. They clearly had enough budget for a damn helicopter, aerial shots, and a dolly tracking during the key running scene down the dark railed hallway, so it's not like they couldn't have done a smooth dolly style inside her house as well. So it's beyond obvious they wanted a certain look to this. The UV video this is not.

So let me translate your post for you: the camera work is not to my liking or taste.

As for the random cuts - I'll give you that, it added nothing to the video except break up the pace. But IMO that's a small bone to pick.

I get that they wanted that handheld look but did the filming really have to be that shaky at points? Like, when Lana was going down one of the sets of stairs, there's about 5 seconds where you can't see her and it looks horrible. But the biggest problem with the video is the random jump cuts, there's literally no excuse for them. It makes the video look so unprofessional. At least the handheld filming was bearable and didn't ruin anything that much.

I get that they wanted that handheld look but did the filming really have to be that shaky at points? Like, when Lana was going down one of the sets of stairs, there's about 5 seconds where you can't see her and it looks horrible. But the biggest problem with the video is the random jump cuts, there's literally no excuse for them. It makes the video look so unprofessional. At least the handheld filming was bearable and didn't ruin anything that much.

Shrug. They wanted that pro-am look. You could easily say that it's an dumb excuse for lazy camera work, but at the end of the day that's what they wanted the video to look like and that's what they created.

I love the National Anthem and Shades of Cool video for example but there were certain parts of it that look like they were shot with your cheaper-than-normal film equipment; laziness, budget, or intentional? Probably intentional, and it's really up to you to decide whether you like it or not.

But I do think it's stupid for people (not to name any names.... but GangstaBoy) to waltz in citing their "education" as reason to school us on what we should or shouldn't like about these videos. Have a seat, and don't leave it until you've earned the right to.

But I do think it's stupid for people (not to name any names.... but GangstaBoy) to waltz in citing their "education" as reason to school us on what we should or shouldn't like about these videos. Have a seat, and don't leave it until you've earned the right to.

Oh my god

Oh the obligatory "I study film so yeah" post. How do you know that I don't know shit about camera work, fool? Man, film students are all the same. I used to be 1 myself. Everyone starts thinking theyre David fucking Fincher. It'd be funny if it weren't kind of tragic tbh.

ANYWAY, your insufferable post aside, it's obvious they were either working on a small budget or intended the whole thing to look handheld/home video/spontaneous. It's not like they just walked in there and turned on the camera and winged it. They clearly had enough budget for a damn helicopter, aerial shots, and a dolly tracking during the key running scene down the dark railed hallway, so it's not like they couldn't have done a smooth dolly style inside her house as well. So it's natural to assume they wanted a certain look to this. The UV video this is not.

Hope you had a great time writing all this witty pejorative response but let me tell you something, you can still make your points without being an asshole. :)

Your opinion does not invalidate mine and my comment was clearly not "insufferable" since a lot of people seem to agree with what I said. So please take several stadium seats before coming for me boo.

I realize it came off as pretentious to mention I'm a film student but you can't deny the "certain look" they were going for didn't translate well to the screen. I'm talking about the mix of brutal hand held camera work and smooth dolly slow motion shots that simply didn't go well together.

And hey you gotta stop trying to justify every single thing she does with "Oh no, no, no, they were going for that look, it was the intended aesthetic". I you feel the need to keep telling yourself that then something's not right. I can make a crappy video and quote lots of famous directors and genres as my influence but that won't make it better. Whatever

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Hope you had a great time writing all this witty pejorative response but let me tell you something, you can still make your points without being an asshole. :)

Your opinion does not invalidate mine and my comment was clearly not "insufferable" since a lot of people seem to agree with what I said. So please take several stadium seats before coming for me boo.

I realize it came off as pretentious to mention I'm a film student but you can't deny the "certain look" they were going for didn't translate well to the screen. I'm talking about the mix of brutal hand held camera work and smooth dolly slow motion shots that simply didn't go well together.

And hey you gotta stop trying to justify every single thing she does with "Oh no, no, no, they were going for that look, it was the intended aesthetic". I you feel the need to keep telling yourself that then something's not right. I can make a crappy video and quote lots of famous directors and genres as my influence but that won't make it better. Whatever

I don't really think I've posted enough on this forum for you to categorize me as a Lana brown noser. I'm probably 1 of the only ppl who will tell it like it is - Lana has made some pretty dubious artistic choices - a lot of which have come in the past year in the form of lackluster soundtrack singles and 1 glaringly awful music video (Ultraviolence, which there was no excuse for).

I just think the culture on here can get pretty hysterical and pompous and your initial post was a great example of that. You may have not meant anything by it but hwatever, you responded to my compliment about the video with that mess, so if you were expecting a polite response it just wasn't meant to be.

Oh, and a sidenote - having people agree with you doesn't exactly exclude something you said from being insufferable... just saying. So I would retire that defense.

<3

Love you tho mean it. I'm sure you didn't mean to come across negatively.

All in all we got a proper music video that makes it very very clear what Lana's intention behind it was. I'm actually so happy right now that she finally has learned how to cope with all the hate in the media. I also adore the way she looks (especially the shot in which she holds the gun  :cuteface: ). It's also great that they filmed it all in "one take" because it really builds up the tension imo. Her "acting" was a lil awkward sometimes but that's just Lana and I love her for that.

I won't deny that I still prefer BTD visuals over this music video but it's way better than the let down in the WC and UV videos. Nonetheless I think it's absolutely amazing how versatile Lana is. You can hardly find artists out there who completely change their entire musical/visual style every era !

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

I don't have twitter.. Idk how to enable PMS .. I think a mod disabled them after I left last time lol. I'd give u an email but I don't need some of these crazies contacting me lol

Yeah, I don't want to post any of my main e-mail addresses publicly either, so I set up a new one so you can contact me: evilentitymod@gmail.com. When you contact me, try to include some kind of information that basically only you and I would know, like a detail from an old PM or something, so I know it's you. It's just about a bunch of Lanalysis stuff.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.