annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

It's not like she delivered Shakespear-like lyrics on other albums. Those are typical Lana lyrics. The only difference is that this time she didn't threw in an Americana-reference every 2 phrases. Maybe those Lana-lyrics are not as good as other Lana lyrics but cone on, it's nothing too unexpected.

The thing is that she's never been like this. Tell me, did you expect STRANGER THAN A STRANGER? I swear when I heard that line I laughed so loud my neighbors called 911. Hahahha. I could do the same with UV and BTD if you want :creep: just to show you that this is faaaar from being just "the typical Lana".

The thing is that she's never been like this. Tell me, did you expect STRANGER THAN A STRANGER? I swear when I heard that line I laughed so loud my neighbors called 911. Hahahha. I could do the same with UV and BTD if you want :creep: just to show you that this is faaaar from being just "the typical Lana".

I admit that this line is stupid but the rest is the usual Lana business

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I also think the lyrics on Honeymoon are somewhat different to what they were on other albums, but it is very weird to me as the album is driven more by the melody of her voice and not the instrumentals in my opinion.

2dv4k7o.jpg

I also think the lyrics on Honeymoon are somewhat different to what they were on other albums

Yeah I think that too. It's not only that they got worse :creep: but some of them are very different (24, High By the Beach, God Knows I Tried, etc), others that are very Lana-styled but still incredible imo (The Blackest Day, Religion) and others are just Lana-styled trash (Art Deco, Honeymoon).

Video Games' lyrics are genius? Same with OTTR.

VG isn't "genius" imo, but they're definitely amazing and just the concept of it makes it what it is. OTTR is genius without a doubt.

Lana acts as if Honeymoon is her favorite album, and I REALLY hope she doesn't make another album in this style. Overall the album is so mediocre for her, the lyrics seem rushed and not thought out, and the production gets boring. Imo, AKA, BTD, and UV are all timeless.

Demos_copy.png

I think her next album would be even more epic if she just had a break, she can tour next year and then just be relaxed so she can come with a great amazing album on 2017. (Also make more videos for Honeymoon songs)

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

This makes me happy beyond belief, I can't thank you enough. (Also your signature is my thesis name :toofunny:

I was thinking about it these days, it sounds cheesy as hell but like, I've been stanning for a year which is nothing but I'm so into Lana herself, her face and her looks and her voice and her words and her entire universe, I'm sometimes forgetting that what fascinated me in the first place wasn't even the lyrics, it was the melodies, the quality of the melodies and how powerful and bold and packed with emotional power they are, it's Lana's biggest strength in my opinion and I relate so much to the way she puts herself in them. Lana's music is incredible, and I sincerely enjoyed the beginning of HM era supremely, not just because it was my first and because of the mindstate I was in at the time and because I met her and she was the first girl I ever kissed and I'll never get over it, but because this music is excellent. I'm not a music critic at all and I'll never pretend I can be but the songs from Honeymoon just lifts the best in me and makes it flow and it's a gift few things can give me. I'm so grateful for all the songs we have. Even when the day come and I won't be interested in Lana's person itself, I know I will still listen to the music, because even if you remove the lyrical content, it's just too broad and too deep and beautiful not to be listened to, stuff like Sirens that took me a solid 6 months of continuous and intensive stanning to appreciate is the now stellar light in my bad days because it just, looks like me. And all the pop songs make me happy to a level that I never reached before, where music used to be a relief for me Lana is making it a strength in my mind and it's just precious, no need to go over it for hours, her music is my life and I can't put that aside.

And on top of this, one year after out of curiosity falling desperately in love in a few days, I'm realizing how much she taught me, I never knew I would be so interested in white trash and old Hollywood glamour and stuff like that, her whole universe, jazz and all, I read several books just because she did and watched several movies just because she did and it's basic stan stuff but it's GOOD, you know, it's not morally bad to be obsessed with a celebrity in this particular way, I've learned A LOT and it inspired me in a completely Lana-detached way. The music I'm listening to right now is essentially her, my old favs CocoRosie, and stuff that I discovered because of Lana, because she was the first person that I listened to that had NOTHING to do with what I used to listen. She taught me that it was stupid to have a priori about pop culture and stuff around it and it's confirmed every day with this forum because as much as contrary to the good sis I really hate drama, there are so many passionate and talented people here that reminds me of Lizzy's raging passion and it inspires me to my deepest depths. 

Tl; dr Sorry I'm finally getting out of depression after 4 months and I just feel so ecstatic all the time. Merry Christmas folks may all your dreams come true :)

Edit: I got so into this that I completely forgot but funny enough, while relistening the album yesterday (I have yet to listen to it in full and order), I found that Freak revealed itself to be excellent and very atmospheric when in good quality, like immersive, I don't know if it's the good word, but it's weird because I was 1000% sure it would be my least fav. 24 is probably my least favourite track, not that I hate it, I just never listens to it it kind of bores me

you're an angel, honestly ily

Wy8jf2U.jpg

also, i wish she'd write more lizzy-like songs. come on, its been a while since she released a song with REALLy good lyrics.

kill kill, get drunk, yayo, you're gonna love me, elvis and disco are soo good

Wy8jf2U.jpg

I honestly love all of Lana's lyrics, she tells stories with her songs rather just the generic love song blandness which other artists do. Her song's go deep too which I love. I'll admit certain little lyrics are not 'genius' but they fit with the song concept which is good enough. Honeymoon has a lot of longevity for me, its one of those albums that really are a slow burner that you appreciate more and more.

qsVmBMd.png

that would kill her career

she could be the next Rihanna

I think her "special thing" got lost to me, I think since BTD most of my faves try to copy her style. Miley Cyrus is a good example, Her Dead Petz is something Lana could do without being"try-hard". Taylor copied her in Wildest Dreams and many others copy her style too. Since 2012 most pf my faves released more ballads on there albums than before and it makes me sad.

Mfhp.gif

I only think it's because Rick didn't control her as much and let her do everything her way (which is not always good)

I think of this everyday. She likes it when she's in control in the studio (which is obviously more than okay), but she needs to work with a strong and demandant producer. She did this already with Dan Auerbach. She said they used to fight in the studio but at the end of they day they were slow-dancing UV songs... And UV is her best album.

Video Games' lyrics are genius? Same with OTTR.

OTTR lyrics SOUND nice but their message is not really any better than "there's only 24h in a day". VG is a great song but, again, I don't find the lyrical content very impressing.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

To be fair to Lana, for me the 'Stranger than a stranger' line always echoed the

People are strange when you're a stranger,

Faces look ugly when you're alone.

Women seem wicked when you're unwanted,

Streets are uneven when you're down.

verse from the Doors, who used to be considered poetry when people got high all the time.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

nah

Paradise has Blue Velvet (boring crap), Body Electric (studio version is a boring mess), Burning Desire (nope), Ride (which is one of the most overrated song in her career), plus Yayo (which is a good song just not that version)