annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

yeah, i'm not just assuming. i can't find the interview right now but i remember her saying that rick nowels never says no to her. david kahn and dan auerbach had tension with lana in the studio at times because they weren't that way &, IMO, the result was amazing albums. 

also, i never implied that she needs a "strong man" to help her, nor would i ever. however, music is collaborative & seeing as she doesn't play an instrument she will always be working with other people. (mostly men because the industry is male-dominated & lana herself chooses to work with men.) 

i'm not saying all is lost or that she'll go the route of tori--that will only happen if she NEVER lets herself get challenged by whoever she's working with. being surrounded by yes men can lead to self-indulgence.

My impression of what she said was that Nowels is willing to experiment and try out her ideas. Not that anything she suggests sounds good and is given the go ahead. This is absurd otherwise an album would never be finished and as if the record company gives her absolute freedom. She was also frank about how Nowels offered up his ideas and what his roles are. That's what collaboration and creativity are, not simply shutting things down because you think you know better from the get go. There are always limitations when making music that is supposed to turn over a profit.

If BTD is so excellent because she worked with people who she had tension with...well yes tension or like conflict can be an important part of collaboration but she worked with Nowels on BTD too. Also we have no idea what the tension was about, Dan said it could stem from being a woman in the industry-it doesn't necessarily follow it's because Dan said no to her ideas in such a way which accounts for the brilliance of UV. He said himself he could see what she was trying to do but she was not there yet; Lana said it was great that Auerbach believed in her. Dan also spoke about how the record company brought in the other record producer who said everything was fine. You are speculating from simplistic ideas like collaboration has no conflict at all or has to have a set amount of conflict to claim that Lana surrounds herself with yes people to create an inferior product. There is just no evidence for that.

She also said in another interview that her tastes are changing and she will work with other producers. Re your response to strong man, seeing people saying she needs someone dominant like Dan to push her, that's what I reacted to.

could it mean we get new songs too?

I doubt her icloud was hacked as there probably would have been a lot more photos, and I don't think Lana would put her songs on icloud as she probably records in studios and keeps her demos and stuff on rick nowels' hard drive.

we might get nudes tho :brows:

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I doubt her icloud was hacked as there probably would have been a lot more photos, and I don't think Lana would put her songs on icloud as she probably records in studios and keeps her demos and stuff on rick nowels' hard drive. we might get nudes tho :brows:

I'm still searching for a perfect Masterpost :crying4:

Mfhp.gif

My impression of what she said was that Nowels is willing to experiment and try out her ideas. Not that anything she suggests sounds good and is given the go ahead. This is absurd otherwise an album would never be finished and as if the record company gives her absolute freedom. She was also frank about how Nowels offered up his ideas and what his roles are. That's what collaboration and creativity are, not simply shutting things down because you think you know better from the get go. There are always limitations when making music that is supposed to turn over a profit.

If BTD is so excellent because she worked with people who she had tension with...well yes tension or like conflict can be an important part of collaboration but she worked with Nowels on BTD too. Also we have no idea what the tension was about, Dan said it could stem from being a woman in the industry-it doesn't necessarily follow it's because Dan said no to her ideas in such a way which accounts for the brilliance of UV. He said himself he could see what she was trying to do but she was not there yet; Lana said it was great that Auerbach believed in her. Dan also spoke about how the record company brought in the other record producer who said everything was fine. You are speculating from simplistic ideas like collaboration has no conflict at all or has to have a set amount of conflict to claim that Lana surrounds herself with yes people to create an inferior product. There is just no evidence for that.

She also said in another interview that her tastes are changing and she will work with other producers. Re your response to strong man, seeing people saying she needs someone dominant like Dan to push her, that's what I reacted to.

hmm, that's definitely another way to look at it and is possible. buuut we also know lana is extremely sensitive to criticism. she wanted to be "the whole world's girl" & then went on to be publicly humiliated & it's obvious she still hasn't gotten over that. i think she likes working with rick because he is very supportive & goes with the flow. don't get me wrong, i love some of the work they have done together, but a whole album of him + lana wasn't exciting to me & i dread the thought of more of the same. i want her to work with new people who get her a little out of her comfort zone.

though you're right, she did say this which gives me hope:

ABEL: You have always been working with different producers.

LANA: Yes, but that in a limited way. When I met my Producer Rick four years ago, I knew in that moment that we would be working together for a very long time. It just feels right. For my next album though I plan to open a up a little and work together with more people.

also, i wasn't talking about BTD--david kahn produced Lana Del Ray. & of course i am speculating, none of us are there in the studio with her. i'm going by what she has told us & what we know about her personality. i mean, lana didn't tour the US for years because of what happened with SNL! she's extremely sensitive when it comes to her work. i don't blame her, but my point is that **IF** she is surrounding herself with yes men, it won't be good for her. let's hope she keeps her word & doesn't do that.  :smokes:

let me be who i'm meant to be

and that's your opinion? i'm allowed to have a different one. 

um, go listen to OTTR and tell me there's no life and energy in it. i didn't even mention BTD specifically, lol. either way, BTD isn't a perfect album but at least it isn't boring and it tells a story. and i'm not only referring to her released catalog, but also her vast amount of unreleased songs. she is capable of so many different genres and productions and atmospheres--why is she settling for music to sleep to? her older slow, sparse songs at least had interesting lyrics. 

also, i'm not talking about the lyrics on paper. they are just not interesting in general. more than that, they are sometimes lazy. i agree that it is a combination of all those elements that make her songs great, but that's the problem. she's missing a vital element on honeymoon. she even admitted that the album was more about vibes than lyrics and it shows. it's disappointing for me because they are a big part of why i became so interested in her music. 

Finally, someone that actually gets it!  :mariah:

I hate when singers release tour dates and they go to the same places over and over. Like why do you need 5 shows in California or 2 shows in Florida or 3 shows in New York or 2 shows in Toronto! There are other major cities and places to tour! 

When Lana releases tour dates I might scream if she tours the same fucking places  :willcut: