Subversive

LDR5 - Pre-Pre-Release Annual Meltdown and Discussion Thread

this idea that "mature" music has to be a slow-paced snoozefest is ridiculous. go listen to "from the choirgirl hotel" by tori amos who was 35 when it was released. it's a mature album but it's not boring and one-note. go figure!

i would never expect lana to make music that i could shake my ass at in the club or even want that. but she's afraid to go outside of her comfort zone and we all know it. it would be nice for her to push some boundaries again or at least make an album that has some variety in it. she's capable of it. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

this idea that "mature" music has to be a slow-paced snoozefest is ridiculous. go listen to "from the choirgirl hotel" by tori amos who was 35 when it was released. it's a mature album but it's not boring and one-note. go figure!

i would never expect lana to make music that i could shake my ass at in the club or even want that. but she's afraid to go outside of her comfort zone and we all know it. it would be nice for her to push some boundaries again or at least make an album that has some variety in it. she's capable of it. 

I'm not saying mature music has to be slow paced. I'm just saying that as you grow older you get an acquired/changed taste (it happens to a lot of people where they gear towards different/slower genres) to what the norm usually is or as opposed to what you listened to before. But in most cases I've seen older people have a broader sense of taste.

Exactly. Your music being dynamic and even with a faster pace in some songs doesn't equal "bops" teenagers love to shake their asses to.

Tori with the album you mentioned used to be a good example of that. Kate Bush used to be one back in the day, PJ Harvey, Björk, etc.

It has nothing to do with maturity. 

Don't know what you're talking about since she was very proud of Honeymoon. Given that, she was anything but afraid of going outside of her comfort zone

She's definitely pushing boundaries in terms of her sound and atmosphere, it wouldn't make sense for her to go outside of her comfort zone in terms of her tempos or dragged out phrases. Why would an artist care to do that who is successfully expanding their minds sound and story and who's famous, rich, a genius?

She's definitely pushing boundaries in terms of her sound and atmosphere, it wouldn't make sense for her to go outside of her comfort zone in terms of her tempos or dragged out phrases. Why would an artist care to do that who is successfully expanding their minds sound and story and who's famous, rich, a genius?

She has always made mid-tempo songs. She's mentioned how she's inspired by jazz undertones COUNTLESS numbers of times. I though maybe whoever bought Honeymoon knew this and would probably support her with whatever she did but I guess not (which is totally okay). Just simply move on like I did with Gaga after Born This way as ARTPOP/Joanne have both been :) to me.

It's weird to see an album as boring as 25 to sell millions of copies but an album as likeable as Honeymoon flop. It has way more diversity. If Adele didn't have the voice she had then I think maybe she wouldn't be selling as well as she is.

She has always made mid-tempo songs. She's mentioned how she's inspired by jazz undertones COUNTLESS numbers of times. I though maybe whoever bought Honeymoon knew this and would probably support her with whatever she did but I guess not (which is totally okay). Just simply move on like I did with Gaga after Born This way as ARTPOP/Joanne have both been :) to me.

It's weird to see an album as boring as 25 to sell millions of copies but an album as likeable as Honeymoon flop. It has way more diversity. If Adele didn't have the voice she had then I think maybe she wouldn't be selling as well as she is.

You can not compare these two. Adele doesn't start to sing her songs with the same note, song after song after song.

I agree! She should have played more songs from that album.

If you're implying that she apparently wasn't proud because of that, I disagree.

I think it's because people would leave the festivals/concerts if she played her slow/mid-tempo songs and it would eventually catch news, and people wouldn't show up.

Yes!! She's always gonna be the genius behind her music! It's getting more mature and ethereal! 0rgasmic

. . .she was anything but afraid of going outside of her comfort zone

don't really know how you figure that. she worked with a producer she felt was safe, didn't promote, had no controversy unlike w/ultraviolence, etc... it's clear to me she has been playing it safe because she doesn't want negative attention. the reaction to her SNL performance will always haunt her and it's unfortunate. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

To say she was taking risks and going outside her comfort zone with Honeymoon... :rip: She found her niche with that album, and from what we know about the next record, she's staying in that style. Rick is capable of producing other genres / different types of songs, but Lana has control over him. And that's amazing actually, but at the same time he's basically... just there. I'm sure he still fears her ass after the whole Black Beauty fiasco. :toofunny:

I mean, the music is still good. And it's amazing she's doing her thing. But even deep down she knows most fans just like it because it's Lana and that's why she tries to please them playing the same Born to Die songs live every single time. :hottie: