Jack

Melanie Martinez

I'm really hyped for "Sippy Cup". It's totally getting through this week thinking about it.

also wonder if this album will leak soon...

I'm really doubting a leak if it doesn't happen by next week. She's only worked with a very small amount of people on the album and it's been finished for so many months already.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

Can't wait to see how off these lyrics are on Friday but I hear:

A corpse is a corpse

that you keep ______________

(I know this next part is right)

kids are still depressed when you dress them up

syrup is the syrup in a sippy cup

BzhmW.png

Can't wait to see how off these lyrics are on Friday but I hear:

A corpse is a corpse

that you keep ______________

(I know this next part is right)

kids are still depressed when you dress them up

syrup is the syrup in a sippy cup

"Of course it's a corpse

That you keep in a cradle "

Soap is such a good song tbh, it's gotten me hooked on Melanie lately. I wrote a long-ass analysis of Soap on my Instagram, I thought I'd post it here also while I'm at this thread….

For those of you who think "Soap" by Melanie Martinez is cheap, pointless or pretentious, please hear me out. Firstly, she didn't literally write a song about soap. The watery phrases are simply metaphors and similes to explain something much deeper. The song is not about having a bath. The song is not about drowning, as some like to believe after watching the music video. Melanie is actually trying to explain how she felt after speaking up about something she had been holding in for so long. In an interview, she said the song was inspired by the way she felt after she told a boy that she had feelings for him, although the song can really be interpreted as telling any secret/sharing any kind of feelings that have been suppressed. Melanie sings about washing her mouth out with soap to explain how she regrets expressing her thoughts to someone, not because she literally wants to eat it. If you've ever done it before, you'd be aware that putting soap in your mouth isn't the most pleasant experience, and so she uses this phrase to show how distasteful her own experiences have been. She has many other lyrics relating to the wet theme, where her words are compared to water, for example: "I said too much, it overflowed"/"I think I left the faucet running" both explain how like too much water in a sink will create a mess, saying more words than you probably should can be disastrous too. There are plenty of other lyrics that further develop the song, but I think you get the gist from what I've written. Yes, "Soap" is a very strange and quirky song, and perhaps that means that it will only appeal to some - and that's fair enough, you don't consciously make the choice to like or dislike a melody; we can't help it if we don't like a particular chord progression, it's just a natural stance - but please don't write it off as vapid, because as I've pointed out, it has a much deeper meaning than you might suspect.