Jack

Melanie Martinez

3 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

Mel sharing awareness about the micro-agressions Asians experience from white people :gclap::gclap::gclap:

Yet at the same time appropriates indengenous culture :/ She's not some icon for doing the bare minimum of sharing something to her story. Melanie has been appropriating cultures for years. Even Lilith wasn't hers to use in the k-12 film. 

16 minutes ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

?

Burning white sage (a closed indengenous practice), referring to herself as "two spirit" (Another closed indengenous practice), ect. 

54 minutes ago, Salem said:

Yet at the same time appropriates indengenous culture :/ She's not some icon for doing the bare minimum of sharing something to her story. Melanie has been appropriating cultures for years. Even Lilith wasn't hers to use in the k-12 film. 

Using lilith as a name in her film is not CA imo, and this is coming from someone who actually cares aLOT about the issue. If you do believe it is though, I'll listen if you wanna explain. 

Also, if you don't mind expanding on how she appropriates indigenous cultures? I'm entirely unaware of this. 

Btw I never said she's some icon. I will never put her up on a pedestal after the whole Timothy Heller thing. I'm simply glad at the fact that she's showing she cares about anti-Asian hate, as an Asian person myself, and that her activism didn't stop at BLM. It's definitely the bare minimum. I'm just pointing out that shes doing a little more than many other famous people right now. 

33 minutes ago, Salem said:

Burning white sage (a closed indengenous practice), referring to herself as "two spirit" (Another closed indengenous practice), ect. 

Okay I definitely see this now, I'm glad you brought it up. I hate the sage thing. I must have scrolled past her sharing that because I knew it would encourage young fans to copy it as a way to think they're spiritually enlightened, and didn't want to spend any attention on those posts. 

I do think that once she knows about the appropriation she would change her practice, and NOT to palo santo which is also appropriation lol. Hope she educates herself.

32 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Okay I definitely see this now, I'm glad you brought it up. I hate the sage thing. I must have scrolled past her sharing that because I knew it would encourage young fans to copy it as a way to think they're spiritually enlightened, and didn't want to spend any attention on those posts. 

I do think that once she knows about the appropriation she would change her practice, and NOT to palo santo which is also appropriation lol. Hope she educates herself.

Melanie is someone with good intentions but bad actions and execution of those intentions. I don't hate her for appropriating from indengenous people, but I wish she'd acknowledge "hey, I fucked up, don't do the same shit I did"

9 minutes ago, Salem said:

Melanie is someone with good intentions but bad actions and execution of those intentions. I don't hate her for appropriating from indengenous people, but I wish she'd acknowledge "hey, I fucked up, don't do the same shit I did"

Yeah I agree. I am someone who once appropriated other asian cultures by wearing a bindi and a head chain to be cute. I stopped once I educated myself (prompted by backlash that I deserved). It's a learning experience and if someone is at least willing to do better, I still consider them a moral person. Mel will do better, I believe. 

12 minutes ago, Salem said:

Agreed! Most of the people I saw upset about it were mad that she was dancing/twerking while burning the sage which came off as disrespectful or not taking it serious. Ik Melanie only has good intentions, but it definitely came off wrong.

DapperSkeletalBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

now the boys want a taste of the strawberry shortcake