Jack

Melanie Martinez

6 minutes ago, WHACKWORLD said:

Agreed! Most of the people I saw upset about it were mad that she was dancing/twerking while burning the sage which came off as disrespectful or not taking it serious. Ik Melanie only has good intentions, but it definitely came off wrong.

Her burning it at all is the issue, but yeah that was a slap in the face. Issue is that she is new age spiritual which unfortunately has a lot of roots in appropriation and erasure of cultures. 

15 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

Yeah I agree. I am someone who once appropriated other asian cultures by wearing a bindi and a head chain to be cute. I stopped once I educated myself (prompted by backlash that I deserved). It's a learning experience and if someone is at least willing to do better, I still consider them a moral person. Mel will do better, I believe. 

Learning is the important thing! I think everyone has made mistakes, even if it's just joking around with family, but when you have a platform the makn thing is acknowledging those mistakes. I hate cancel culture, but I do wish more celebrities would acknowledge things they do wrong. 

1 hour ago, WHACKWORLD said:

Agreed! Most of the people I saw upset about it were mad that she was dancing/twerking while burning the sage which came off as disrespectful or not taking it serious. Ik Melanie only has good intentions, but it definitely came off wrong.

Okay NOW I remember that! Pretty sure it shocked me and I closed insta for the rest of the day :toofunny: but yeah, if she knew, she wouldn't do that. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

Her burning it at all is the issue, but yeah that was a slap in the face. Issue is that she is new age spiritual which unfortunately has a lot of roots in appropriation and erasure of cultures. 

Totally, I'm so glad I got out of that phase in my spirituality. 

Burning sage is a common practice around the world and it is not a cultural appropriation. Native Americans aren't the only ones that do so.

There's a difference between burning sage in a way to cleanse the air and get rid of bad juju then doing "Smudging" which is then a sacred ceremonial practice.

Or even as mentioned before, burning Palo Santo, which made a small wave after Years&Years record of the same name came out, as Palo Santo need to be provided to you after a tribe chief has collected and "blessed it".

Lilith is not one to be said that she belongs to a certain culture, as Lilith appears and is important/influenced by many religions and cultures. As she has had many interpretations on and off media, along with The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina.

now y'all gonna tell me she can't do tarot readings and buy crystals ... PLEASE educate yourselves and not just take a problematic person talking about the matter as the most absolute truth

1 hour ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

Burning sage is a common practice around the world and it is not a cultural appropriation. Native Americans aren't the only ones that do so.

There's a difference between burning sage in a way to cleanse the air and get rid of bad juju then doing "Smudging" which is then a sacred ceremonial practice.

I'm indengenous. White sage is endangered and IS exclusive to native peoples. White sage was stolen from natives by colonizers, but it doesn't make it theirs to use. Please educate yourself on the matter of where sage comes from and why it's not an open practice. 

8 minutes ago, One with the Gods said:

What's going on......

I called out the fact Melanie isn't a saint in racial issues and were discussing it. 

2 hours ago, Salem said:

I'm indengenous. White sage is endangered and IS exclusive to native peoples. White sage was stolen from natives by colonizers, but it doesn't make it theirs to use. Please educate yourself on the matter of where sage comes from and why it's not an open practice. 

White sage as a matter that is... is not exclusive to native people, the region it is mostly harvest is on California and southern Mexico.

Sage, as it is, is very common in the Latinx community even for food preparation and that is something my descendants grew up on and pass it down to me. You being indigenous doesn't mean you are as informed as you think you are.

I am very aware that colonization spread the practice, as I also mentioned Palo Santo which is too endangered.

7 minutes ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

White sage as a matter that is... is not exclusive to native people, the region it is mostly harvest is on California and southern Mexico.

Sage, as it is, is very common in the Latinx community even for food preparation and that is something my descendants grew up on and pass it down to me. You being indigenous doesn't mean you are as informed as you think you are.

I am very aware that colonization spread the practice, as I also mentioned Palo Santo which is too endangered.

As a 28 yo Mexican who have lived here his whole life I disagree tbh 

4 hours ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

Or even as mentioned before, burning Palo Santo, which made a small wave after Years&Years record of the same name came out, as Palo Santo need to be provided to you after a tribe chief has collected and "blessed it".

Lilith is not one to be said that she belongs to a certain culture, as Lilith appears and is important/influenced by many religions and cultures. As she has had many interpretations on and off media, along with The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina.

now y'all gonna tell me she can't do tarot readings and buy crystals ... PLEASE educate yourselves and not just take a problematic person talking about the matter as the most absolute truth

This is CA by media, not just because you saw it on TV or in the music industry is "something common".

There are things that should be kept by the people from a certain culture in order to preserve it. 

Clearly, Melanie is an attention seeker artist, that's how she has always been, that's her signature and I don't judge her in a bad way, that's just the way she is, it's time to accept that she will always do things (either crazy or plain "differente and unique") in order to stand out because that's her signature and just the way she is. (Again, I'm not saying this as an offense).

I really like her music tho, but she most of the times comes to me as someone who should be REALLY careful to not fuck things up in certain cultures and demographic

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

^^^^

31 minutes ago, EXODUS said:

I really like her music tho, but she most of the times comes to me as someone who should be REALLY careful to not fuck things up in certain cultures and demographic

^^^^^ 

Melanie tends to be problematic because she's very much a "pick me" Artist. That said, she has a nice voice. e

55 minutes ago, Salem said:

^^^^

^^^^^ 

Melanie tends to be problematic because she's very much a "pick me" Artist. That said, she has a nice voice. e

You’ve literally been the biggest hypocrite on this entire thread ever since you first started posting on here. Seems like you’re starting drama just cause there’s nothing else to talk about :rip:

55 minutes ago, 320kbps said:

jeez i thought i hated this thread when jack was here but now...

spill :deadbanana: this thread just became a shitpost hole 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

25 minutes ago, Mermaid Hotel said:

You’ve literally been the biggest hypocrite on this entire thread ever since you first started posting on here. Seems like you’re starting drama just cause there’s nothing else to talk about :rip:

the spillege 

2 hours ago, EXODUS said:

As a 28 yo Mexican who have lived here his whole life I disagree tbh 

This is CA by media, not just because you saw it on TV or in the music industry is "something common".

You can disagree all you want, that's your right as a human being, but that doesn't make it rue for others.
What exactly is "by media" cause I mentioned one TV show that was airing until last year? it wasn't the first nor will be the last ... it is common and there is no right way to portray a character in one's religion/culture ... as Jesus, God, Mary, Lucifer, etc have all been portrayed as well in many shapes and forms, but that's suddenly "okay"? Please keep being out of this thread like you were before