Sign in to follow this  
Chris Cuomo

Edith Piaf

EDITH PIAF

Edith-Piaf-Em-001.jpg

Édith Piaf, also known as “The Little Sparrow,” was born in Belleville, on the outskirts of Paris, on December 19, 1915, and rose to international stardom in the late 1930s as a symbol of French passion and tenacity. Of Piaf’s many ballads, “La Vie en Rose,” which she wrote, is remembered as her signature song. Other favorites among the singer's repertoire include "Milord," "Padam Padam," "Mon Dieu," the charming "Mon Manège à Moi" and the anthemic "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien." Having a life beset by addictions and related health issues, Piaf died in France in 1963 at the age of 47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTGmbA40ZQ

Who else is familiar with this lovely singer? I know we have a few French members on here, I'd love to get your opinions! She is a classic and a legend of cabaret and love songs. 

VyIsfwC.jpg

Look at my signature on this board from day one-

Lana is the modern day Edith.

Edith was unique, a true trailblazer, overcoming abuse, hatred and no one thinking she could do it

Been an Edith fan for many decades (since the 60s) (as long as Marlene Dietrich who is equally legendary in her own way, check out Marlene's where have all the flowers gone.) (Wish I could have seen Edith in concert, if she wasn't ill and had played in 1966 or 1967 in NYC would definitely have gone and seen her.

I like Edith either in French or English

Hymne  d l'amour 

Non je ne regrette (would be a great song for Lana to do)

Padam

Her love story with Marcel is one of the most romantic love stories of all time.

I go to see Charles Aznavour whenever he does a concert in NYC, as he is one of the last actual links to Edith still alive and still performing

She died so young, tragic. She celebrated her 100th last year.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@annedauphine what's good?

Lmao! French stans united :lolliney: I love Edith, she isn't my favourite classical French singer though, it's definitely Barbara, but she has some timeless classic sounds. Just today, coming back from uni, a guy played three of her songs in the metro :oprah: I remember, watching La Môme struck me so hard

I go to see Charles Aznavour whenever he does a concert in NYC, as he is one of the last actual links to Edith still alive and still performing

Wow this is so crazy for me to hear. My dad was obsessed with him when we were kids so I still know at least 15 songs of him by heart. He really has some jewels

ZKcaooE.png

I love so many of her songs and have grown up with them, to me she is the best french singer ever. Too bad modern french music sucks so much :rip:

How can you say this when Jul is here to save the world from this Piaf flop  :teehee:    :oopna:

ZKcaooE.png

Yas this hit thread :blush3:

I actually adore Edith in English. Her rendition of Autumn Leaves is the best one, it moves me so much. I read somewhere she didn't actually understand English, she just sang it phonetically, don't know if that's true or not.

VyIsfwC.jpg