Sign in to follow this  
Lust

How much of Lana's persona is made by her label, managers etc

I'm talking about the sudden change from lizzy grant to lana del rey. All her different hair styles, photoshoots, clothing, the flower crowns from the born to die era and the inspirations from Marilyn Monroe and Priscilla by her or was she instructed to do all that by her managers? Also i wonder if she was instructed to get plastic surgery (if she did) by her label or was it her idea? 

What makes the "corporate construct theory" so improbable for me: 1) Labels and managers would actually have to be creative enough to come up with a retro image non-redundant with other such images. I mean she was not really like anyone else, not Amy Winehouse or Adele, whereas when labels do something, they usually just copy something that is successful. 2) Going from May Jailer to Lizzy Grant was a larger jump than going from Lizzy to Lana, imo. So why couldn't she easily do the latter, if she did the former?

Plastic surgery: She just seems weirdly beautiful and expressive at every age, imo.

It seems plausible minor surgery (e.g., a bump on her nose ridge removed) might have occurred, maybe for falling out of a tree and breaking her nose (or for cocaine abuse), and if it was just a cosmetic decision, so what? Not exactly uncommon for people considering entertainment as a career to do this on their own initiative. But the larger point is, her beauty was apparent from an early age, and unlike anti-fan comments or media fictions, her face was never massively rebuilt.

On a related topic, can someone point to an artist where the labels obviously took an active role in shaping the persona/image/sound as has been suggested for LDR? And then say what the artist looked like as a consequence of this? I mean the larger issue for me is, how do you spot artificiality and label manipulation, and the start of that discussion might be to say whom you think has had it. I think this would be hard to do, which is ironic given how easily LDR was criticized for it. It might also be that the candidates one could point to were not criticized for it by the media.

I don't think anyone but herself and possibly Chuck had a hand in it. I'm sure Chuck, being a photographer, helped and told her what looked good and what she would go with and Lana probably decided based off of her own and her sister's opinion. Hell, who knows, maybe Lana's look is based off of a past lover's "dream woman" and she's become her. Goes with a lot of the lyrics, too.

If anything, Lana had if not most, total control.

PNoV6l.gif

I don't think anyone but herself and possibly Chuck had a hand in it. I'm sure Chuck, being a photographer, helped and told her what looked good and what she would go with and Lana probably decided based off of her own and her sister's opinion. Hell, who knows, maybe Lana's look is based off of a past lover's "dream woman" and she's become her. Goes with a lot of the lyrics, too.

If anything, Lana had if not most, total control.

Couldn't agree more 

I think people say/said she's fake because of some obvious reasons: the name change, her changing her "look", rumours...

the most important part of all of this is probably the look thing. idk how but people really did a great job at comparing some of the most awful lizzy pics to the photoshopped nicole nodland mess. just did a quick google search and found this:

82837de0-a6be-4a61-8f82-f5c6baca87f5_560

and 

lana-del-rey-before-and-after-noselips-p

both of these comparisons show how u can "manipulate" comparisons into what u want them to be. In the first set it looks as if you took photos of two random woman and put them next to each other, do i need to say that none of them are a good representation of how lana looked at that time? the second comparison choose photos where lana looks like herself and well u can see how "much" has changed.

they usually went with the first one and added the "sudden name change". additionally i've see a lot of stuff about how her label wanted to give her this vintage aesthetic and there was this rumour that the label made the video games video look low budget so she'd pass as indie. her music never sounded "indie" tho, even vg and blue jeans which got released at the same time aren't your typical indie band tracks so i really don't know where this sudden "look at musics new indie sensation" came from. i think a lot of the "genre switch" stuff just came from her not using her high pitched voice that often anymore, i think this was the biggest :) i've ever heard bc lana still has the aka yayo on her youtube and not one of these articles about her being da fakest one of all mentioned that this very lana del rey sounding song was in fact a "non lana del rey song" written and recorded before she became the fake?

edit: does someone know when ben got affiliated with lana for the first time?

i76mrxw.png 

I think people say/said she's fake because of some obvious reasons: the name change, her changing her "look", rumours...

the most important part of all of this is probably the look thing. idk how but people really did a great job at comparing some of the most awful lizzy pics to the photoshopped nicole nodland mess. just did a quick google search and found this:

82837de0-a6be-4a61-8f82-f5c6baca87f5_560

and 

lana-del-rey-before-and-after-noselips-p

both of these comparisons show how u can "manipulate" comparisons into what u want them to be. In the first set it looks as if you took photos of two random woman and put them next to each other, do i need to say that none of them are a good representation of how lana looked at that time? the second comparison choose photos where lana looks like herself and well u can see how much she has changed.

they usually went with the first one and added the "sudden name change". additionally i've see a lot of stuff about how her label wanted to give her this vintage aesthetic and there was this rumour that the label made the video games video look low budget so she'd pass as indie. her music never sounded "indie" tho, even vg and blue jeans which got released at the same time aren't your typical indie band tracks so i really don't know where this sudden "look at musics new indie sensation" came from. i think a lot of the "genre switch" stuff just came from her not using her high pitched voice that often anymore, i think this was the biggest :) i've ever heard bc lana still has the aka yayo on her youtube and not one of these articles about her being da fakest one of all mentioned that this very lana del rey sounding song was in fact a "non lana del rey song" written and recorded before she became the fake? 

drag ha 

Well Lana has shown many different persona's under the name 'Lana Del Rey" in a way. Even if her label made her into a pop star figure in 2011, her creativity has let her branch out into different styles and genres.

None

the OP is a regurgerated negative sound byte that is just not true

Did the record label mold Robert Zimmerman or the Grateful Dead?

What an insult to Lana

and another anti-woman thread

(as to the newbie- who did you used to be?)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

What makes the "corporate construct theory" so improbable for me: 1) Labels and managers would actually have to be creative enough to come up with a retro image non-redundant with other such images. I mean she was not really like anyone else, not Amy Winehouse or Adele, whereas when labels do something, they usually just copy something that is successful. 2) Going from May Jailer to Lizzy Grant was a larger jump than going from Lizzy to Lana, imo. So why couldn't she easily do the latter, if she did the former?

Plastic surgery: She just seems weirdly beautiful and expressive at every age, imo.

It seems plausible minor surgery (e.g., a bump on her nose ridge removed) might have occurred, maybe for falling out of a tree and breaking her nose (or for cocaine abuse), and if it was just a cosmetic decision, so what? Not exactly uncommon for people considering entertainment as a career to do this on their own initiative. But the larger point is, her beauty was apparent from an early age, and unlike anti-fan comments or media fictions, her face was never massively rebuilt.

On a related topic, can someone point to an artist where the labels obviously took an active role in shaping the persona/image/sound as has been suggested for LDR? And then say what the artist looked like as a consequence of this? I mean the larger issue for me is, how do you spot artificiality and label manipulation, and the start of that discussion might be to say whom you think has had it. I think this would be hard to do, which is ironic given how easily LDR was criticized for it. It might also be that the candidates one could point to were not criticized for it by the media.

This is super old but that first picture is of two models and none of them are Lana

This is super old but that first picture is of two models and none of them are Lana

• lanadelrey"Posting some of my favorite Chuck photos."
  • admittedly it's ambiguous, but I'm taking "Chuck photos" to mean "photos of Chuck" [and she's hugging LDR as a child in the photo]. The second picture I'm taking to be LDR late teens (and I'm guessing you're not disagreeing with that). The only evidence for the two-models interpretation I can see is a comment asking who the other model is, which I'm taking to be a joke. Is there any other evidence you can point to?

• lanadelrey"Posting some of my favorite Chuck photos."
  • admittedly it's ambiguous, but I'm taking "Chuck photos" to mean "photos of Chuck" [and she's hugging LDR as a child in the photo]. The second picture I'm taking to be LDR late teens (and I'm guessing you're not disagreeing with that). The only evidence for the two-models interpretation I can see is a comment asking who the other model is, which I'm taking to be a joke. Is there any other evidence you can point to?

What the heck are you on? She said "Posting some of my favorite Chuck photos." as in "some of my favorite photos taken by Chuck".

None of them is Lana or Chuck.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

What the heck are you on? She said "Posting some of my favorite Chuck photos." as in "some of my favorite photos taken by Chuck".

None of them is Lana or Chuck.

Well maybe I'm wrong but I'm interpreting the photo as of Chuck and Lana as children (taken by Rob?).

Well maybe I'm wrong but I'm interpreting the photo as of Chuck and Lana as children (taken by Rob?).

They don't look ANYTHING like Lana or Chuck. Not trying to sound rude but c'mon...

This is them as children. That photo Lana posted was taken by Chuck. (I don't know any of those children, maybe models idk)

e86270cf8dd91c1a5a7044f35c8dc538.jpg66bffd90323736fb61be4bd01d1ce4db.jpg

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

They don't look ANYTHING like Lana or Chuck. Not trying to sound rude but c'mon...

This is them as children. That photo Lana posted was taken by Chuck. (I don't know any of those children, maybe models idk)

e86270cf8dd91c1a5a7044f35c8dc538.jpg66bffd90323736fb61be4bd01d1ce4db.jpg

one of the models is lily rose depp, johnny depp's daughter 

https://www.instagram.com/p/-R9_3FFnmB/

1163465-lilyrose-depp-filha-de-johnny-de

Lily-Rose-Depp-Instagram-1.jpg

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u