Sign in to follow this  
Lust

How much of Lana's persona is made by her label, managers etc

I'm talking about the sudden change from lizzy grant to lana del rey. All her different hair styles, photoshoots, clothing, the flower crowns from the born to die era and the inspirations from Marilyn Monroe and Priscilla by her or was she instructed to do all that by her managers? Also i wonder if she was instructed to get plastic surgery (if she did) by her label or was it her idea? 

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

I'd like to think none of it, but I can see them controlling at least some of her style. Luckily, her lyrics and song style is still relatively the same from Lizzy. Of course, we do have sources (notably Woodkid) saying Lana is very in control of her image and what she does.

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

Also that thing about plastic surgery is f'd up... She had her nose done at a very young age and her lips were absolutely her own idea. She wouldn't have gotten so offended by the criticism towards her face if it wasn't this way.

I'm talking about the sudden change from lizzy grant to lana del rey. All her different hair styles, photoshoots, clothing, the flower crowns from the born to die era and the inspirations from Marilyn Monroe and Priscilla by her or was she instructed to do all that by her managers? Also i wonder if she was instructed to get plastic surgery (if she did) by her label or was it her idea? 

The sudden transition from Lizzy to Lana amazes me, I mean, she was a shy cute girl with a fascination for retro culture, I think when she got the deal with her producers she told them exactly what she wanted to look like, all of her persona is produced, but the production was chosen all by her. I'm pretty sure all the changes she went through weren't controlled by anyone.

tumblr_o3k2s0IT4d1uvva9wo1_500.gif

The sudden transition from Lizzy to Lana amazes me, I mean, she was a shy cute girl with a fascination for retro culture, I think when she got the deal with her producers she told them exactly what she wanted to look like, all of her persona is produced, but the production was chosen all by her. I'm pretty sure all the changes she went through weren't controlled by anyone.

This is the definition of Lana Del Rey :toofunny:

I don't see it as a sudden change from Lizzy Grant to Lana Del Rey, I feel like it's more of a transition. So I don't feel like she was forced upon this persona by her managers/label but more of that they encouraged it, and they made her dramatized it. I got a feeling that, that's why Lana eventually got tired of serving those iconic BTD looks.

4BZPaCg.jpg

I think she just changed. Everyone changes through the years.

You don't look the same for 10 years. Her music changed, her image changed and her persona changed too.

She grows up so everything else grows up too.

Mfhp.gif

I always saw the change as sudden which is why i thought it could be forced upon her

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

I was thinking about this earlier today when I was reading/watching older interviews from 2011/2012

It really seemed like she was trying to project herself with a more exaggerated image back then. Like with the way she spoke (bold New York accent in some interviews) and her mannerisms. I can see why people thought she was unauthentic and manufactured because of how awkward she came off while trying to adjust to the image people thought of when they heard and saw 'Lana Del Rey.' But I don't get the people who use her old music as validation of her being fake. She's just refined her craft and evolved as a songwriter, just like any other artist. I mean so many tracks from Born to Die reference some of her older tracks. It's not like she started writing about something completely different. Anyways, I'm glad I became a fan post-Ultraviolence because she comes off to me as confident/matured and organic compared to 2012. I feel like she's just being herself these days in interviews, on social media and whatnot. Nowadays, 'Lana Del Rey' doesn't seem like much of a persona to me it's simply a stage name used by the woman we know and love named Lizzy Grant.

In 2012 Spin magazine published this very good article about Lana – "Deconstructing Lana Del Rey" – and they discussed this topic (Lana being pushed into her image or not) in length there.

http://www.spin.com/articles/deconstructing-lana-del-rey/?page=0

Oh my GOD this is so f*cking inspiring. I will be a star just like her.

I have this friend who met a woman who told her she was competing with Lana for a record deal, and apparently her name was "Alana" and they wanted to make her "Lana" but they wouldn't let her have kids so she backed out, and that's how Lana got her name. 

Granted, I'm not sure how true that is. To me it is at least embellished. It was a story I heard second hand so idk, but either way Lana was talented way before she signed with interscope whether or not her name was her idea. 

I have this friend who met a woman who told her she was competing with Lana for a record deal, and apparently her name was "Alana" and they wanted to make her "Lana" but they wouldn't let her have kids so she backed out, and that's how Lana got her name. 

Granted, I'm not sure how true that is. To me it is at least embellished. It was a story I heard second hand so idk, but either way Lana was talented way before she signed with interscope whether or not her name was her idea. 

I love lies

I see absolutely 0 difference between lizzy and lana.

Earliest mention of her calling herself "Lana" was in 2007

She booked all these shows herself

she wrote 100s and 100s of songs herself

seeking out producers to work with herself

editing videos herself 

shooting with her sister since 2006

building a presence online since 2005

Obviously from 2010 onwards she had a stylist.. that's what people do in photoshoots. But obviously as her career progressed, with Ultraviolence, we've seen her style become much more bare and laidback which we know is probably more suited to her personality when she's around people she knows and the music she is making now

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I love lies

I see absolutely 0 difference between lizzy and lana.

Earliest mention of her calling herself "Lana" was in 2007

She booked all these shows herself

she wrote 100s and 100s of songs herself

seeking out producers to work with herself

editing videos herself 

shooting with her sister since 2006

building a presence online since 2005

Obviously from 2010 onwards she had a stylist.. that's what people do in photoshoots. But obviously as her career progressed, with Ultraviolence, we've seen her style become much more bare and laidback which we know is probably more suited to her personality when she's around people she knows and the music she is making now

I'm definitely not advocating it as truth it was just a story I heard. The other thing is, the aspect of her name "Lana" was all that this person was claiming. All of the rest of that stuff you mentioned is Lana's and her's alone. It's hard to argue that she doesn't have her own vision for all of this stuff it's been a part of her life for so long. Likely, it's a lie propagated by someone jealous of the fact that lana was chosen over her.