Say Yes to Heaven

LDR5 - Pre-Release Thread

what makes people think shes all of a sudden not going to do a nina cover whe shes had one per album? like i dont know anything about nina simone but all of lanas covers have turned out really well i feel like

Have you listened to the original versions?

I feel like Lana did a decent enough job with The Other Woman but she sucked the soul out of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

giphy.gif

Have you listened to the original versions?

I feel like Lana did a decent enough job with The Other Woman but she sucked the soul out of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

OMG i actually have to 100% agree with the DLMBM thing. It was just the way she sung it.... The instrumental was beautiful and enchanting, but I wish she sung a bit more like Old Money or something.

Yeah. A lot of people seem to want her to stick with the glamorous vintage Americana feels though. It's tasteless right now, honestly. Everyone also seems terrified that she's apparently taken a stance as being Anti Trump (Shocker!! 30 year old musician from New York doesn't like trump: more at 9)  

People who are scared of an artist expressing their views because they might lose spotify streams are the :) worst. Half the people around here were wondering where Lana's BTW ode to the gay boys was for YEARS, but now that we've got an actual oopa loompa facist in power trying to start mass deportations and driving up hate crimes of all types it's too "iffy" to get political? Whatever. 

I agree and disagree.

An unironic vintage Americana album would be tasteless in the face of Trump. However, if she's clever enough lyrically, she could subvert the Americana and make it a critique of Trump. Something in the vein of National Anthem could work (I always understood that song as a derision of Americanism).

giphy.gif

Listened to Cola randomly today. The lyric "I fall asleep in an American flag" stuck out more than usual tbh. BTDP was a really American era in general (that one line in the Ride outro that's about believing in the country America used to be or something) If she's going more "socially-aware" on this album, do you think she'll directly mention America? In a critical fashion? I personally hope not bc mentioning America in any context might lose her some fans. I hope it's "global" like she says it is. I think she finished making the album before Election Day, so there might be some cringeworthy America-glorifying lyrics on it again...

True true, but I think hating America isn't going to fix it. She obviously doesnt hate america bc of trump. she just wants better. I doubt she'll have glorifying lyrics about America in there anyway. She hasn't done it since BTD, and she said the new album is lyrically written different. 

I agree and disagree.

An unironic vintage Americana album would be tasteless in the face of Trump. However, if she's clever enough lyrically, she could subvert the Americana and make it a critique of Trump. Something in the vein of National Anthem could work (I always understood that song as a derision of Americanism).

I agree, except for the fact that no one who isn't us believes that National Anthem isn't ironic. Her image is so solidified as sincere in its admiration of the America of yore ("dark side" of it or not) that it would fall flat and almost look hypocritical to anyone who isn't a stan. She'd be better off laying off of those tropes for a bit. Glamour, youth, love,obsession  etc don't necessarily have to be tied to the past, which we see on Love and even Honeymoon. Plus we have TONS of unreleased material that proves she can write- well, from other perspectives. 

tZ7WN4B.gif

I agree, except for the fact that no one who isn't us believes that National Anthem isn't ironic. Her image is so solidified as sincere in its admiration of the America of yore ("dark side" of it or not) that it would fall flat and almost look hypocritical to anyone who isn't a stan. She'd be better off laying off of those tropes for a bit. Glamour, youth, love,obsession  etc don't necessarily have to be tied to the past, which we see on Love and even Honeymoon. Plus we have TONS of unreleased material that proves she can write- well, from other perspectives. 

It's so odd people would see National Anthem as serious.

Same with Brooklyn Baby. I saw Brooklyn Baby as ironic but non-stans thought she was serious.

giphy.gif

Y'all are saying what she should or shouldn't do, but we all know lana could release an album of breathing and we'd all be like "yaas queen of breathing!!! SLAYYYY."  And others'd be like, "track 5 of breathing is not as good as ultraviolence tho..."

Am I the only one who doesn't want LDR5 to be political?  :pft:

There is so much talk about it always, kinda want LDR5 to be more escapist

Global doesn't mean political though :) the only word she's used to describe it is 'global'.

I think she wants to move away from 'escapist' bc she wants us to care about the world and NOT escape it!

I dont think it will be super "IN YOUR FACE, BAM, POLITICS" anyway :) love was political, but you can take it any way you want!

If you hate politics you'll still enjoy the album. Trust her xx

Global doesn't mean political though :) the only word she's used to describe it is 'global'.

I think she wants to move away from 'escapist' bc she wants us to care about the world and NOT escape it!

I dont think it will be super "IN YOUR FACE, BAM, POLITICS" anyway :) love was political, but you can take it any way you want!

If you hate politics you'll still enjoy the album. Trust her xx

Yeah I just get the impression a lot of people want a political album and that's just not something I am after really, but even if she does do a political album I will still love it.

Nahh I can't see her doing a really in your face politics album either, but idk I'd just personally like a break from everything and listen to something which doesn't remind me of it 

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

Yeah I just get the impression a lot of people want a political album and that's just not something I am after really, but even if she does do a political album I will still love it.

Nahh I can't see her doing a really in your face politics album either, but idk I'd just personally like a break from everything and listen to something which doesn't remind me of it

Yeah, Honeymoon was a big 'shelter' album for me, and still is. So i do hope there's at least like 2 songs on the new record that are straight from her heart like that haha

Yeah, Honeymoon was a big 'shelter' album for me, and still is. So i do hope there's at least like 2 songs on the new record that are straight from her heart like that haha

Yess! :D  tbh for me, LOVE was actually not political at all and straight from the heart. I'd love more songs on LDR5 to be like that and so heartfelt :') 

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

Nah ik whats original and whats a delete scene. it's like a totally different angle and all. look https://mobile.twitter.com/LanaDelReyWorld/status/835274837371277312/video/1

that black and white scene is from a TROPICO trailer she posted on her personal youtube account x

giphy.gif

spotify US specifically.

It's like the entire US fanbase stopped playing the song literally.

The drop is weird and abnormal.

I can not explain it either. The iTunes position now is either #24 or #25. There is no reason why this should be so low on US Spotify and with such huge drops.

OMG i actually have to 100% agree with the DLMBM thing. It was just the way she sung it.... The instrumental was beautiful and enchanting, but I wish she sung a bit more like Old Money or something.

Listen to this version by The Animals, it's awesome. I wish Lana incorporated some guitar in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vstNm5xzuKM

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven