Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

sales, streams, airplay & ticket sales determine how long you will be able to continue making your art as an artist. when you fail at work, you get fired and and at some point, nobody wants to hire you or work with you if you continue to fail. same with music.

it's great that you do not care about that as fan. it's great that you do not care for how long your fave will be able to continue making her art in the quality that we have it now. it's great because you are obviously a big enough fan to sign up on a forum devoted to her work. 

or maybe lana del rey will continue releasing her mixtapes, sorry albums, as soundcloud exclusives very soon.

if it bothers you that much that ppl bring up sales and many times even jokingly, then you can choose to participate in that debate or put those who talk about it on ignore.

you're welcome!

i didn't say that the account was fake. i said that it was proven to be a false alarm a few pages back. 

You know that there are lots of artists who don't perform very well commercially or aren't able to deliver consistent commercial success yet have still had high quality work.

See: Prince.

And, tbh, the mixtape route would work well for her. Since there are artists who sell mixtapes and do very, very well commercially. Even without a major label backing them.

See: Chance The Rapper

Critical acclaim is a nice side effect but it won't pay the rent. remember that carly rae jepsen show where 3 people showed up.

Yikes. That's a shame, since her album was better than a lot of popular singers' garbage.

and just for the record, and i think the mariah stan is with me on this, nobody expects lana to sell like taylor or adele. like, literally nobody.

what bothers me is that her fanbase is not supportive of the idea hearing lana on the radio or being on big spotify playlists even not interested in seeing her perform and the fact that we do not have quality live performances since 2012. lorde stans are estatic about it. it bothers me that her team is unable to place her on radio formats like triple a and alternative properly, let alone hac or pop.

and that they brag about her being a streaming force when her last album bombed on spotify.

other of her peers do not have that problem unless they are marinara and the potatoes. 

I wanna hear Lana on the radio and I wanna see her on Spotify. I disagree with the live performances thing, since the performances I've seen since then were really good.

Her team is incompetent, completely so. This album rollout is evidence of that. I'm not interested in the numbers, I'm interested in her acclaim and her presence. And they're failing hard at making her presence known.

I know you all hate sales talk but I used to stan nelly furtado since I was 10 and she went from having sales, critical acclaim and a stable fan base to having pitchfork funded homemade music videos and mediocre reviews on her indie record (bc she got dropped) that sold less copies in its first week than the 30 year old thriller album.

To be fair, Thriller is Thriller.

giphy.gif

Did anything interesting happen since Thursday? Single announcement, track list, concert dates?

I don't want to read all these pages. 

Nothing particularly interesting.

But Amazon has a listing for Lust For Life now, and it confirmed the release date is May 26th.

giphy.gif

Anyway... anyone here nows when the Dazed mag will start shipping for the ones who buyed it online?

It ships on the 19th

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

i'm so bored of listening to ya'll complain about lana's sells, it's not interesting... even lana doesn't care so just stop :judgingu:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

But Amazon has a listing for Lust For Life now, and it confirmed the release date is May 26th.

i didn't believe this tho it says it has been listing since 2012 like wtf i didnt get it

i'm so bored of listening to ya'll complain about lana's sells, it's not interesting... even lana doesn't care so just stop :judgingu:

she actually cares yes itts not a big deal for her and she's not thirsty for it but lets be honest (idgaf about sales honestly) but she has replied more than once to the tweets that showed her sales so she actually cares 

:smile3:

i didn't believe this tho it says it has been listing since 2012 like wtf i didnt get it

she actually cares yes itts not a big deal for her and she's not thirsty for it but lets be honest (idgaf about sales honestly) but she has tweeted more than once on the tweets that showed her sales so she actually cares 

okay that's fine if she does care a little but some of the people on here are acting like it's the most important thing in the world, it's so shallow and ridiculous

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

sales, streams, airplay & ticket sales determine how long you will be able to continue making your art as an artist. when you fail at work, you get fired and and at some point, nobody wants to hire you or work with you if you continue to fail. same with music.

it's great that you do not care about that as fan. it's great that you do not care for how long your fave will be able to continue making her art in the quality that we have it now. it's great because you are obviously a big enough fan to sign up on a forum devoted to her work. 

To me, this is a legitimate reason that we should care. We don't want her to fail, I would love it for her to be successful and on the radio and for other people to appreciate her as much as we do. Sales are good, charting is good. 

The only reason the whole conversation annoys me is that we debate it all the time, but it's really out of our hands. All of us here (unless you're not a real stan) buy her albums and stream them regularly. We do our part to contribute but aside from deciding to do some promo ourselves, there isn't a lot we can do. It's a choice lana and her team make when they do promo/decide what goes on a record and no matter what we argue we aren't going to impact that decision. The only reason it matters is because of that idea that we want her to at least have the ability to continue making music in the future. With that being said, there are plenty of people who make music that sell way fewer singles and records than lana does, and I don't see it really being an issue unless this completely tanks

I feel like something is coming either tomorrow or within a week. It would make sense with the magazine coming out, but it's just a feeling. Hope I'm right.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

This week we're getting the Dazed interview, possibly Paris Match and, after even amazon announced the date for Lust For Life, I'm guessing on Tuesday we'll get the tracklist with the official date

giphy.gif

I care about sales because I want her to be successful. But it's seriously all 2 of the members talk about. Every time I see a comment from either of them it's about sales. We get it.

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

To me, this is a legitimate reason that we should care. We don't want her to fail, I would love it for her to be successful and on the radio and for other people to appreciate her as much as we do. Sales are good, charting is good. 

I agree with this. While idc about her sales, and even if she never sold another album again I'd still be a fan, I would be very happy for her if she charted and did well in the sales area.

I loved all her albums thus far (even though I thought Honeymoon could definitely have been better, was her weakest effort, and needed to be a bit more coherent), so all the numerical stuff is whatever to me. What bothers me though is that I think every single album rollout post-Born To Die has been a mess: videos cut (West Coast), scrapped (Original Ultraviolence video, Honeymoon), or made from scraps (Freak); missed opportunities (High By The Beach could have done amazingly well on urban radio if handled properly), and albums just being completely abandoned shortly after release. Even in performances, she performs more material from Born To Die than any of her other releases. And, at this point, the excuse that she needs to rely on Born To Die-era songs is no longer true.

I don't care about her sales, but I'd appreciate it if she put more effort in. The fact we had to rely on Amazon and another website to get an album release date is pathetic. And she put up billboards and still hasn't yet given us a date. Or a tracklist.

She's squandering buzz, for no good reason. It'd be one thing if she was constantly doing other things but...that's not happening either.

giphy.gif