Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

no Sept 18th is still technically summer (Summer ends Sept 21st)

It's technically summer but by that time kids are back in school and the weather is cooling down. People are in an Autumn state of mind. To me, a summer album comes out the beginning of summer, or at least midsummer at the latest. Like June-July, early August. A spring album is an April-May release. May 26th is even sorta pushing it for it to be a spring album tbh.

photo.jpglanadelrey-1jpg.jpgphoto.jpg

It's technically summer but by that time kids are back in school and the weather is cooling down. People are in an Autumn state of mind. To me, a summer album comes out the beginning of summer, or at least midsummer at the latest. Like June-July, early August. A spring album is an April-May release. May 26th is even sorta pushing it for it to be a spring album tbh.

lol i mean we were just talking about the seasons of album releases I was just going off of the literal season

lol i mean we were just talking about the seasons of album releases I was just going off of the literal season

I know, but I'm just sayin'. Just because it came out in summer -technically- doesn't necessarily make it a "summer album". Know what I mean? Sonically (lel) I consider Honeymoon a summer album, because it sounds summery (the cicadas at the beginning of GKIT especially), but September just isn't the time to release a ~summer album~.

photo.jpglanadelrey-1jpg.jpgphoto.jpg

Ben and Ed are annoying and I think that they mismanaged her career in key moments (or at least they didn't advise her right). They clearly are not enthused by her new release and they are concentrating more on DL. I think that everybody involved in the release (labels included) are just fed up with Lana's insecurities and unwillingness to promote her release. She needs a major shakeup after this era including management, producers, stylist but foremost she needs to clear her head about what kind of artist she wants to be. I would advise her to totally ditch any pop ambitions (LFL is a dud) and move towards blues, jazz and soft-rock (UV is still her best album).

She needs a major shakeup after this era including management, producers, stylist but foremost she needs to clear her head about what kind of artist she wants to be. I would advise her to totally ditch any pop ambitions (LFL is a dud) and move towards blues, jazz and soft-rock (UV is still her best album).

A bluesy, jazz album would be a dream. An album full of Sad Girl, Wait For Life, Pin-Up Galore, Why Don't You Do Right-type songs would be absolutely heavenly. I would kill for that. I also wouldn't mind another rock-inspired album with heavy guitars like in Shades of Cool (bridge) or her live cover of Roadhouse Blues.. I really love when her songs sound kind of chaotic, such as in - again - Shades of Cool (bridge) and in Cruel World. (UV forever.)

Both her bluesy/jazzy sound and her chaotic rock sound just make me feel like I'm absolutely trashed and loving it, and I always adore that feeling.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I'm not one of those people who likes the idea of her reusing old songs because I would rather have her use fresh material, but sometimes I'm baffled at what makes it on a new album when she has stuff like pin up galore or pawn shop blues out there that are literal masterpieces. I think she might need to slow down and get back to writing how she wrote when no one was paying attention because that's really when she gets out her best material. I'm worried an album catered to her fans might be pandering and unoriginal (I like the first two songs, so this isn't meant to by hyper critical but if the whole album sounds like Lust for Life without range of lyrical complexity from the more simple LFL to something more complicated we're going to have a problem)

I kinda still want Lana to re-record the under-appreciated overlooked AKA. It has some of her best songwriting on it and I feel it would be amazing with UVesque production :oprah3:

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

I mean, technically something did happen on Tuesday, but it wasn't related to new music so it probably won't count, but it's not like she isn't promoting herself at all...

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

It's weird because even if she didn't want the tracklist to come out so that songs don't leak she could still put out the date and preorder with "track 1" whatever and lust for life and love as instant downloads

I'm not one of those people who likes the idea of her reusing old songs because I would rather have her use fresh material, but sometimes I'm baffled at what makes it on a new album when she has stuff like pin up galore or pawn shop blues out there that are literal masterpieces. I think she might need to slow down and get back to writing how she wrote when no one was paying attention because that's really when she gets out her best material. I'm worried an album catered to her fans might be pandering and unoriginal (I like the first two songs, so this isn't meant to by hyper critical but if the whole album sounds like Lust for Life without range of lyrical complexity from the more simple LFL to something more complicated we're going to have a problem)

Extremely bored with the melt-down aesthetic of this thread, so I appreciate your post about what makes it on an album. With regards to lyrical complexity, here's some pseudo-criticism.

There are lyricists and there are anti-lyricists and they differ in their approach to what makes a lyric a great lyric. An anti-lyricist might depend more on how the lyrics are sung along with a crude and/or intentionally minimal approach to what the lyrics are. A lyricist writes poetry, which is something I would define as always looking/sounding/meaning great things on paper (i.e., when viewed typed out); whereas an anti-lyricist writes emotive expressions that tend to look/sound/mean cringeworthy things when viewed (on paper) and out of context. Lyrics also prefer to show up in verses and anti-lyrics mostly in the choruses. Pinup Galore has great lyrics and anti-lyrics. In fact, a lot of her songs, especially the unreleased ones, mix them (Scarface says hello).

So if Katy Perry's Bon Apetit song is a bit too lyrical (and it does have a lot of words when viewed on paper), it's main message appears to be something like sex is food. LDR's Delicious is extremely anti-lyrical, but which song of the two do you think has the most acting, irony, humor, and social commentary? 

LFL, I would say, is anti-lyrical in the choruses and lyrical in the verses. Maybe it is simple and interludish in form (so predicting it will be in the middle as many others have), but it's respectable (unique and pleasing) for being something she hasn't done before, namely a feature with a major artist. Also title tracks can be pretty insignificant in the scope of the album, witness John Mayer's latest release, whose title track (sort of) is like the least significant track of the album.