Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

I think the overwhelmingly critical reaction against CWIMM is not just about the song (as if any reaction is independent of its context) but a culmination of releasing one good but not spectacular single and then a mediocre title track with a short-shelf life (LFL honestly has one of the lowest play counts out of all my lana songs).

Coachella is just the straw that broke the camel's back - a sort of scapegoat for every one's LFL anxiety.

I'm just confused that if she wanted to release a timely, political single why didn't she just release God Bless America instead? Restore my faith back queen!  :icant:  :icant:

dreaming away your life...

Funny enough for me I think LFL is the 3rd most played Lana single for me. 1st being Born to die, 2nd West Coast and followed up with LFL. It seems like the perfect Lana pop song to me... the lyrics were a bit lackluster but it was catchy. This new song just seems rushed, like it's definitely not a bad song sonically, but it sounds like there is something deeply missing from it. 

ruZKe8V.gif

Funny enough for me I think LFL is the 3rd most played Lana single for me. 1st being Born to die, 2nd West Coast and followed up with LFL. It seems like the perfect Lana pop song to me... the lyrics were a bit lackluster but it was catchy. This new song just seems rushed, like it's definitely not a bad song sonically, but it sounds like there is something deeply missing from it. 

I feel the same exact way, LFL is so polished and perfect for me, I really love it.

I think the overwhelmingly critical reaction against CWIMM is not just about the song (as if any reaction is independent of its context) but a culmination of releasing one good but not spectacular single and then a mediocre title track with a short-shelf life (LFL honestly has one of the lowest play counts out of all my lana songs).

Coachella is just the straw that broke the camel's back - a sort of scapegoat for every one's LFL anxiety.

I'm just confused that if she wanted to release a timely, political single why didn't she just release God Bless America instead? Restore my faith back queen! :icant: :icant:

This

wow she's really not gonna say a word  :defeated: she wants me to die  :defeated:

She probably will in the morning. She's getting that d right now

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I respect her going in a different direction. Love and CWIMM are socially aware and I have to say that in my opinion they have decent lyrics. The problem is that Lana has released before only one song that has a (indirect) social message: VG. People loved her lyrics because they were about the self, love and depression. Political messages in songs are difficult to pull out and they are rarely popular. Furthermore, you must have an image as an artist that makes people accept the message without irony. Unfortunately, Lana developed a self-obsessed image and people will found difficult to get into her preachy style. I dont think that this fandom is here for this type of message tbh. I think that some of us misunderstood what Lana was talking about when she said that this album is for the fans: now I think that she meant that she wants to help her fans to be more connected to whats happening in the world. I think that many fans interpreted her intentions as a return to the BTD glory days and to the best of UV and now they are disappointed either by the lyrical content or the music. As I see it now, with this album shell lose a lot of core fans and shell gain next to nothing. Now I understand why Ed was so down: their golden goose is gone.

I respect her going in a different direction. Love and CWIMM are socially aware and I have to say that in my opinion they have decent lyrics. The problem is that Lana has released before only one song that has a (indirect) social message: VG. People loved her lyrics because they were about the self, love and depression. Political messages in songs are difficult to pull out and they are rarely popular. Furthermore, you must have an image as an artist that makes people accept the message without irony. Unfortunately, Lana developed a self-obsessed image and people will found difficult to get into her preachy style. I dont think that this fandom is here for this type of message tbh. I think that some of us misunderstood what Lana was talking about when she said that this album is for the fans: now I think that she meant that she wants to help her fans to be more connected to whats happening in the world. I think that many fans interpreted her intentions as a return to the BTD glory days and to the best of UV and now they are disappointed either by the lyrical content or the music. As I see it now, with this album shell lose a lot of core fans and shell gain next to nothing. Now I understand why Ed was so down: their golden goose is gone.

She'll not lose me. I really like this direction.

Honestly, what's weird to me is that she does have a number of songs that talk about worldly topics. "National Anthem" and "Brooklyn Baby", for example, were clearly meant to be ironic commentaries. I feel like if someone understood that she does songs with subtle (or not so subtle) irony and commentary on stuff, they wouldn't be shocked by C-WIMM or her new direction.

Also, could you elaborate on what you meant about Ed? Was he down about Lana? (Like, did he say that?)

giphy.gif

She'll not lose me. I really like this direction.

Honestly, what's weird to me is that she does have a number of songs that talk about worldly topics. "National Anthem" and "Brooklyn Baby", for example, were clearly meant to be ironic commentaries. I feel like if someone understood that she does songs with subtle (or not so subtle) irony and commentary on stuff, they wouldn't be shocked by C-WIMM or her new direction.

Also, could you elaborate on what you meant about Ed? Was he down about Lana? (Like, did he say that?)

The Ed part, for me, I guess it's because both him and Ben seem they don't give a shit about her anymore and only care about Dua Lipa. I'm not blaming Dua, I'm blaming them because they see Dua as an artist who can succeed bc of her type of songs and her audience. 

So yeah, they seem a little bit uninterested on Lana now

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif