Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

I'm not sure to what extent this article was discussed but I found it a very interesting read  :flutter:  I'd LOVE to hear the original LFL version 

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/inside-track-lana-del-rey-lust-life

IT_10_17_01-KKONqOTzr3LPoB6uLBqb3z3SJlBE

(Kieron is such a daddy  :hdu: )

About LFL the song

Reid: “There were several different approaches with this album. Some songs were done in a day, with whoever was in the room. With others, like ‘Lust For Life’, it took a village to bring it back home. The original song was a long ballad with pads and vocals, and then Max’s crew rearranged it into more of a pop structure with beats, and then Lana wanted to do more of a ’50s doo‐wop style spoken‐word thing in the verses, so Kieron programmed a beat for that section with a more Motown sound, and we recorded her new spoken‐word vocals, plus the transition into the chorus, which sounds a lot more like Max’s demo. The song evolved piecemeal and quite naturally and ended up being quite complex.”

Nowels: “It was one of the first songs written for the album, and we completed the first version, and it was a beautiful piece of art. It’s one of my favourite songs. During the process of making the record Lana had a meeting with Max Martin and he said: ‘That verse could be a chorus!’ — ie. the ‘Take off your clothes’ part, which originally was a verse. There was a lot of energy in the room around making a hit single, so we rewrote it and made that the chorus of the song. In the end there were two versions of the song, with the new version ending up on the album.”

Menzies: “The first version was more ominous, but the spoken words and Motown/Phil Spector beat in the verses gave it more of a Shangri‐Las vibe and a walking‐in‐the‐sand feeling. It also added to the future‐retro thing that Lana is so fond of. Throughout the making of the album she kept talking about Blade Runner being an inspiration.”

Reid: “Once we had the verses, the song was pretty much up and running, and then one night Abel came in, and worked with Rick and Lana and Kieron, and they replaced a number of vocal lines. They also did a lot of ad‐libbing and sang the duet part. I then added some bass and guitar parts.”

About the album concept

Work on the new album began in 2015, immediately after the completion of Honeymoon, with a recording session for the title track at The Village Recorder in LA. “I don’t think there was a concept at the beginning,” recalls Nowels. “It is all a collection of songs. But she was in a certain head space. I remember at the very beginning of the Honeymoon record she said: ‘I want to make a jazz album.’ This turned into songs like ‘Honeymoon’ and ‘Terrence Loves You’. They’re maybe not technically classic jazz songs, but they are her versions. Since it had to be jazz, we could not have really strong, big beats, so the beats were chilled, and there was a lot of orchestra, and every song on that album was in a minor key. But I think almost every song on the new record is in a major key. That was not a conscious decision on our part however. Every artist wants to go into new territory, and not repeat him‐ or herself exactly. We knew for a long time that ‘Love’ would the opening track, and ‘Lust For Life’ would be track two, and the picture of the new album emerged as we got more songs.”

“Those two songs set the tone for the record,” Menzies adds, “and after that it was a direction that we kept in mind when we worked, and that influenced our choices of sounds and samples, and also the kind of plug‐in techniques that kept occurring in the songs. This all helped give consistency. Lana has ideas in her head, which she may or may not communicate, and we simply follow her lead."

About the writing process

Nowels adds: “There is a modus operandi. She will normally come in with something like a verse or a chorus, or both, recorded on her iPhone. At the very least she always has the title, and usually a melody. I then start playing some chords, and from there the song comes together pretty quickly. Sometimes she forms a melody that’s based on the chords, but in general I try to follow her as verbatim as possible. At times we get some unusual chord progressions or some unusual movement because she writes the songs in her head, a cappella. Although she normally brings in a start, we have written some songs from scratch in the studio.

“She writes the lyrics as our work on the songs progresses, and she always finishes them in the studio. Generally speaking the whole song is written very quickly, usually in 45 minutes, and she then wants to go into recording mode right away. We put up a click track, and I have to very quickly get some sort of definitive piano part together. The piano part, or the voicings if it is a pad, are critical, so the whole thing works as a keyboard/vocal song. While we record we usually wear headphones, and I play piano live and she sings live. So one of the great aspects of the records is that there is a performance aspect.

“Lana and I always write with just voice and piano or voice and guitar, so the songs are always very solid in their composition. Lana is a supreme melodist and lyricist, and her songs always have an emotional power to them. They also have a coolness and her own unique language, which makes them very modern. I think she’s writing future classic songs.

“I’ve always had the philosophy that you record the vocal when your love affair with the song is at its strongest, and this is right after you write it. With every new song you write, you think: ‘This is the best thing I have ever done in my life,’ and ‘This is the best song on the planet,’ and that means that it’s the best time to record it. She records maybe three or four takes; usually, take two or three is the one, and then that tends to be it. There’s very little vocal comping. We only go in and change things if there is a lyric change. And after she has laid down the lead vocal, she immediately goes in again to do the backing vocals. The backing vocals — the way she stacks her voice, the parts and counterpoints she sings — define a lot of her sound.

“As soon as we get the song written and the vocals recorded, we go into arranging mode. We can add grand musical parts as well as spooky, weird parts. I’m very specific that the main piano or guitar part is definitive, so the song will speak with one voice and one instrument. After I get an overview and the big picture sounding good with my playing, Kieron and Dean start contributing their parts."

There's a lot more technical details about how they engineer, record & mix the songs. 

Wow im so curious to hear these alternative/demo versions of lfl they honestly sound better than the version we got tbh :bye3:

idk if anyone already mentioned this cause I don't have the attention span to check back a few pages, or even if we all collectively decided that fan from twitter/the pop up shop was lying already but! I can't stop thinking about what he said about Yosemite and an album/EP :flutter:  so here's my thots on the whole thing:

• BTD was 16 songs (if u count the Video Games remix, but doesn't really matter regardless lol)
  • Paradise was released like 10 months later with a totally different sound
  • LFL is 16 songs, and in 6 months it'll be 10 months since it came out!
  • Best American Bible and Yosemite (I'm assuming on this one) have a different general sound than LFL

just saying like if she's following the same pattern as the BTD release then maybe that guy wasn't lying. maybe she didn't totally scrap the og BAR/LFL/whatever concept she originally had, but felt like her idea for a political album was more urgent because of the current climate and wanted to put that out first so we could have it asap, after all the message was really for us to have! she wanted to put it out for us to hear because she cares about us. plus I think someone mentioned whatever she was shooting with Chuck by the sea earlier could be for this apparent EP, since Change is supposed to be the jumping off point for the next record and it has to do with the ocean (also The Ocean is the last song off Houses Of The Holy as mentioned in BAR  :creep: probably just a coincidence tho). also iirc she said she wanted to put out BAR and Yosemite as indie singles (maybe the fan said that? idk I have bad memory lol but whatever) so they could coincide with Ride and Blue Velvet or even Burning Desire, and we could get videos for them! I mean technically she already had a mv for BAR, soooooo :) I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment lol but what can u do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had fun putting this together so idc

inb4 u gotta have fun in life and indulge in frivolous things sometimes so don't try to come at me cause I'm just enjoying myself here and I'm not asking anyone to take this seriously so try not to offend urself lmao

and last but not least, coachella is a very sweet song and doesn't deserve all the hate you guys give it

this actually sounds viable considering she spoke highly of all these songs and the little concepts she had for them.

i honestly wouldn't mind if the EP were to go through, that she could put the alt. versions of LfL songs on it (of course as an afterthought, not replacing tracks with ones we've heard- have a definitive 7-11 tracks and THEN add on the dif versions) 

I'm sure the guy was probably fibbing for the most part, but i honestly don't think he'd be that smart to try and make basically a direct coincidental release schedule to that of BtD on the fly. I don't even think anybody on here could, in such a short time. Like just look:

BtD and LfL being full circle, having the fame(Paradise) shift into destruction(UV) to the calm after the storm(HM, each 1 word), back to being in at least a happier place

Both having 16 total tracks on their basic version

BtD being her first album with the iconic lettering, not smiling to her smiling with her initial logo

BtD:PD releasing 10 months after BtD's release, with the guy saying she wanted it out in six months as we're four months past LfL's release, equalling 10 months

like..i'm gonna keep my overall expectations low due to her touring at that time and unless she wants to spoil all the songs live or sing 0 of them (both are a shame, if she starts singing after the release then all the dates before will feel kinda fucked); it just seems way too calculated, and kinda the most genius thing shes ever done, and w how this era has gone... :rip:

but, just like imagine her kinda mirroring Paradise, including a cover, an old/unreleased song coming back, and a transformed unreleased song (iirc AF;FA became Ride or so i heard); 

We could theoretically have this for the album with a more happier twist- Lust for Life: The (Something like Paradise)/Glory/Eden/Daisy (fuck it idk) Edition, as

Lust for Life: The Best American Record Edition is a damn mouthful, albeit we did get When The World Was At War We Just Kept Dancing...so :creep:

• Roses Bloom For You Intro
  • Architecture
  • Wild One
  • New Track
  • Strawberry Fields Forever (Rumored cover track due to the colored strawberry field in the beginning of the trailer)
  • New Track
  • Old song/unreleased brought back- maybe songs like Cherry Blossom, Hollywood, Hollywood's Dead, or Yes To Heaven? She liked them based on an old IG Live
  • New Track
  • Yosemite
  • Lust For Life Demo 1 (Ballad)
  • Lust For Life Demo 2 (Shangri La Version)
  • Lust For Life Demo 3 (Blade Runner Version)

idk it seems promising n i wouldn't mind it one bit :flutter:

Born to die has 12 tracks what r u guys on.

Also Affa didn't become ride, it was possibly written at the same time but the general consensus is that affa is part of the early uv concept which black beauty is also a part of (which ended up being a bonus track).

it would be fun if she were to do a rerelease but even if she did why would she put old outtakes on it she didn't want to release in the first place. I mean she didn't put them on the record despite talking about them and having a video ready to go. She even put a song she finished like a day before the deadline on the album instead.

i76mrxw.png 

idk if anyone already mentioned this cause I don't have the attention span to check back a few pages, or even if we all collectively decided that fan from twitter/the pop up shop was lying already but! I can't stop thinking about what he said about Yosemite and an album/EP :flutter:  so here's my thots on the whole thing:

• BTD was 16 songs (if u count the Video Games remix, but doesn't really matter regardless lol)
  • Paradise was released like 10 months later with a totally different sound
  • LFL is 16 songs, and in 6 months it'll be 10 months since it came out!
  • Best American Bible and Yosemite (I'm assuming on this one) have a different general sound than LFL
just saying like if she's following the same pattern as the BTD release then maybe that guy wasn't lying. maybe she didn't totally scrap the og BAR/LFL/whatever concept she originally had, but felt like her idea for a political album was more urgent because of the current climate and wanted to put that out first so we could have it asap, after all the message was really for us to have! she wanted to put it out for us to hear because she cares about us. plus I think someone mentioned whatever she was shooting with Chuck by the sea earlier could be for this apparent EP, since Change is supposed to be the jumping off point for the next record and it has to do with the ocean (also The Ocean is the last song off Houses Of The Holy as mentioned in BAR  :creep: probably just a coincidence tho). also iirc she said she wanted to put out BAR and Yosemite as indie singles (maybe the fan said that? idk I have bad memory lol but whatever) so they could coincide with Ride and Blue Velvet or even Burning Desire, and we could get videos for them! I mean technically she already had a mv for BAR, soooooo :) I feel like I'm setting myself up for disappointment lol but what can u do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had fun putting this together so idc

inb4 u gotta have fun in life and indulge in frivolous things sometimes so don't try to come at me cause I'm just enjoying myself here and I'm not asking anyone to take this seriously so try not to offend urself lmao

and last but not least, coachella is a very sweet song and doesn't deserve all the hate you guys give it

i honestly wouldn't mind if the EP were to go through, that she could put the alt. versions of LfL songs on it (of course as an afterthought, not replacing tracks with ones we've heard- have a definitive 7-11 tracks and THEN add on the dif versions) 

I'm sure the guy was probably fibbing for the most part, but i honestly don't think he'd be that smart to try and make basically a direct coincidental release schedule to that of BtD on the fly. I don't even think anybody on here could, in such a short time. Like just look:

BtD and LfL being full circle, having the fame(Paradise) shift into destruction(UV) to the calm after the storm(HM, each 1 word), back to being in at least a happier place

Both having 16 total tracks on their basic version

BtD being her first album with the iconic lettering, not smiling to her smiling with her initial logo

BtD:PD releasing 10 months after BtD's release, with the guy saying she wanted it out in six months as we're four months past LfL's release, equalling 10 months

like..i'm gonna keep my overall expectations low due to her touring at that time and unless she wants to spoil all the songs live or sing 0 of them (both are a shame, if she starts singing after the release then all the dates before will feel kinda fucked); it just seems way too calculated, and kinda the most genius thing shes ever done, and w how this era has gone... :rip:

but, just like imagine her kinda mirroring Paradise, including a cover, an old/unreleased song coming back, and a transformed unreleased song (iirc AF;FA became Ride or so i heard); 

We could theoretically have this for the album with a more happier twist- Lust for Life: The (Something like Paradise)/Glory/Eden/Daisy (fuck it idk) Edition, as

Lust for Life: The Best American Record Edition is a damn mouthful, albeit we did get When The World Was At War We Just Kept Dancing...so :creep:

• Roses Bloom For You Intro
  • Architecture
  • Wild One
  • New Track
  • Strawberry Fields Forever (Rumored cover track due to the colored strawberry field in the beginning of the trailer)
  • New Track
  • Old song/unreleased brought back- maybe songs like Cherry Blossom, Hollywood, Hollywood's Dead, or Yes To Heaven? She liked them based on an old IG Live
  • New Track
  • Yosemite
  • Lust For Life Demo 1 (Ballad)
  • Lust For Life Demo 2 (Shangri La Version)
  • Lust For Life Demo 3 (Blade Runner Version)

idk it seems promising n i wouldn't mind it one bit :flutter:

I'm living for these theories. I genuinely do believe Lana wants to do an EP (Lust For Life: The Hippie Edition) because obviously she recorded many songs she loved but didn't use, especially Yosemite.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Hey guys sorry if this is annoying But I can’t find a thread on the signed lithos/cds. This thread is derailed all the time anyway.

I joined an autograph collectors group because I saw it mentioned along with speculation that her signatures are fakes. I searched the group for the lana topic and got nothing. So I finally asked and this guy tagged me in a discussion about Demi sigs being fake (its obvious) and Lana is mentioned briefly in the thread. Plus this link https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/universal-music-group-preorder-controversy-questionable-demi?xg_source=activity&id=3524372%3ATopic%3A1123575&page=3#comments . The comments don’t reveal much except that these people judge the lana fan base and think every young woman who’s famous is only that way because they’re manufactured.

The link says the sigs are fake because they appear to have been done slowly. The guy that is arguing with me on this group says they’re fake because the A’s are dead giveaways....her A’s have always looked the way they look so i really don’t know what he’s getting at. Now he tagged his friend to do his arguing for him and this friend is a rabid pop head based on his fb profile and I already see posts that he thinks the sigs are fake.

I’ve seen a couple busted looking lithos but I’ve given the benefit of the doubt because I know if it were me I’d get bored af and start fucking around with the look of my sig. obviously I’m leaning towards them being legit but there could be something to this. I know lana tweeted that they’re real.

Thoughts?

LIZARD PEOPLE

Hey guys sorry if this is annoying But I can’t find a thread on the signed lithos/cds. This thread is derailed all the time anyway.

I joined an autograph collectors group because I saw it mentioned along with speculation that her signatures are fakes. I searched the group for the lana topic and got nothing. So I finally asked and this guy tagged me in a discussion about Demi sigs being fake (its obvious) and Lana is mentioned briefly in the thread. Plus this link https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/universal-music-group-preorder-controversy-questionable-demi?xg_source=activity&id=3524372%3ATopic%3A1123575&page=3#comments . The comments don’t reveal much except that these people judge the lana fan base and think every young woman who’s famous is only that way because they’re manufactured.

The link says the sigs are fake because they appear to have been done slowly. The guy that is arguing with me on this group says they’re fake because the A’s are dead giveaways....her A’s have always looked the way they look so i really don’t know what he’s getting at. Now he tagged his friend to do his arguing for him and this friend is a rabid pop head based on his fb profile and I already see posts that he thinks the sigs are fake.

I’ve seen a couple busted looking lithos but I’ve given the benefit of the doubt because I know if it were me I’d get bored af and start fucking around with the look of my sig. obviously I’m leaning towards them being legit but there could be something to this. I know lana tweeted that they’re real.

Thoughts?

at the end of the day it's always possible that signatures can be fake, but i really don't like these people's attitudes and the fact they're so quick to throw big words like "fraud" and "pretending to care about their fans" and "just a bunch of pretty faces ussd to make money by rich powerful men. That is what most of the pop industry is...", so insightful. Even the premises describing how low priced these signed items are and all of that seemed tailored to fit into a narrative, so I feel they wrote them off as guilty without much of a thought. So, not sure we should be taking their expertise at face value. analysing handwriting, to know their authenticity and have info on the graphology is a long meticulous job and it's not even an actual exact science. If some people have money and time to spare I'd suggest to hire an unbiased professional who will then analyse a selection of actual litographs, and not just pictures, to debunk these rumours and if it's true it will help scaring off artists who do that. Also, it's possible to write a letter very differently, even in the same word, and I have uncomfortable memories of high speed writing 8/10 pages during less 2 hours classes with my so called penmanship just turning into ugly undefined scrawls. So, they could be right in their conclusions but I don't approve of their methods. I know that artists get defensive and lie continuously ( :hoe: ) and that they don't owe us pieces of them but it'd be very disappointing if the signatures were fake, if it's true it should be stopped and the damage repaired.   

at the end of the day it's always possible that signatures can be fake, but i really don't like these people's attitudes and the fact they're so quick to throw big words like "fraud" and "pretending to care about their fans" and "just a bunch of pretty faces ussd to make money by rich powerful men. That is what most of the pop industry is...", so insightful. Even the premises describing how low priced these signed items are and all of that seemed tailored to fit into a narrative, so I feel they wrote them off as guilty without much of a thought. So, not sure we should be taking their expertise at face value. analysing handwriting, to know their authenticity and have info on the graphology is a long meticulous job and it's not even an actual exact science. If some people have money and time to spare I'd suggest to hire an unbiased professional who will then analyse a selection of actual litographs, and not just pictures, to debunk these rumours and if it's true it will help scaring off artists who do that. Also, it's possible to write a letter very differently, even in the same word, and I have uncomfortable memories of high speed writing 8/10 pages during less 2 hours classes with my so called penmanship just turning into ugly undefined scrawls. So, they could be right in their conclusions but I don't approve of their methods. I know that artists get defensive and lie continuously ( :hoe: ) and that they don't owe us pieces of them but it'd be very disappointing if the signatures were fake, if it's true it should be stopped and the damage repaired.

It's honestly not that deep. Everyone has acces to twitter and google and just by looking up some signed items u'd see that they don't look fake. Ugly? Yes some of them are definitely not nicely written and carefully placed but there's also items she signed that look even less like her nice autographs than the signed lfl stuff does.

i76mrxw.png 

It's honestly not that deep. Everyone has acces to twitter and google and just by looking up some signed items u'd see that they don't look fake. Ugly? Yes some of them are definitely not nicely written and carefully placed but there's also items she signed that look even less like her nice autographs than the signed lfl stuff does.

I personally think it might be cramps and sloppy handwriting, the movement seems consistent enough; but if people really had to argument for fake signatures they could do it better.