Hellion

Rihanna

okay so "Sledgehammer" is out why are we not discussing hoes

it's literally so Sia it almost hurts, but I love it so much - her vocals are excellent on this one. she keeps blessing us this year, we are not worthy.

because it's so bad lol :rip: 

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

what..? i love it..... also did you change your username to take the heart out?

It just sounds too much like she's trying to imitate Sia, it's a cute soundtrack song but nothing more than that

yeah lol, most people wrote it without the heart anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

We could create almost a whole new album from the outtakes/new material

FourFive Seconds

Bitch Betta Have My Money

American Oxygen

Too Good (Anti demo, not the one on Views)

Nothing's Promised

What You Came For

Sledgehammer

I'm sure we'll get 2-3 more this year

BzhmW.png

Sledgehammer would have been so much better if soundtrack queen Sia would have just performed it instead of giving it to Rihanna to sing Sia karaoke on.

MkWI4Ns.png

We could create almost a whole new album from the outtakes/new material

FourFive Seconds

Bitch Betta Have My Money

American Oxygen

Too Good (Anti demo, not the one on Views)

Nothing's Promised

What You Came For

Sledgehammer

I'm sure we'll get 2-3 more this year

Anti demo of Too Good is fake. Add the Home tracks and you have an 11 track album!

And yeah I'm pretty sure we're getting more, there's the full version of Goodnight Gotham that's yet to come out for example

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

She just released this music video. I was thinking "She's really evolved, since her debut, it's interesting".

But then again.... I recognized something, something in the way she poised her voice, and the melody... This had to be written by Sia. And it is. (And Jesse Shatkin, so it says). 

Which makes me wonder. Is Rihanna an artist ? All she does is singing songs that other artists with other backgrounds have written. But does that make her unauthentic ? Think of all the great singers who almost never wrote a line of their songs (Aretha, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston). Are they lesser artists ? 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhIT4MpRis

She just released this music video. I was thinking "She's really evolved, since her debut, it's interesting".

But then again.... I recognized something, something in the way she poised her voice, and the melody... This had to be written by Sia. And it is. (And Jesse Shatkin, so it says).

Which makes me wonder. Is Rihanna an artist ? All she does is singing songs that other artists with other backgrounds have written. But does that make her unauthentic ? Think of all the great singers who almost never wrote a line of their songs (Aretha, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston). Are they lesser artists ?

She does cowrite some of her songs, all the songs on ANTi bar Same Ol' Mistakes are credited to her, and she had input on all her previous albums as well, though not as extensive as on ANTi. Like you said, many singers before her had 0 songwriting input yet are still revered, Rihanna is absolutely no exception. Though she might not write all her songs, she definitively makes them hers through the use of her vocals. Just because she doesn't write the lyrics doesn't mean she shouldn't be acclaimed as a singer; she labels herself as a singer, not a singer-songwriter. She is most definitely an artist, she has a huge amount of creative decisions over which songs to record and which songs will go on her album; just because she doesn't write them doesn't make her any less of an incredible, iconic and legendary artist.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

She does cowrite some of her songs, all the songs on ANTi bar Same Ol' Mistakes are credited to her, and she had input on all her previous albums as well, though not as extensive as on ANTi. Like you said, many singers before her had 0 songwriting input yet are still revered, Rihanna is absolutely no exception. Though she might not write all her songs, she definitively makes them hers through the use of her vocals. Just because she doesn't write the lyrics doesn't mean she shouldn't be acclaimed as a singer; she labels herself as a singer, not a singer-songwriter. She is most definitely an artist, she has a huge amount of creative decisions over which songs to record and which songs will go on her album; just because she doesn't write them doesn't make her any less of an incredible, iconic and legendary artist.

I think she's very involved in the visual side of things and I'm not trying to take anything away from her for that (I quoted those 3 amazing singers who barely wrote a sentence in their whole discography for that purpose) but I don't know I guess I'm very drawn to singer-songwriters like Lana, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga etc... who have their own vision and build it accordingly to what they feel and what they went through.. 

And you say that she makes songs her own, well as soon as I heard her modulate her voice, I thought "Well, this must be Sia, it can't be otherwise"..

Does picking what you want on a silver platter make you a singer ? 

But don't take this as an attack or an argument, it's merely a thought.. 

I think she's very involved in the visual side of things and I'm not trying to take anything away from her for that (I quoted those 3 amazing singers who barely wrote a sentence in their whole discography for that purpose) but I don't know I guess I'm very drawn to singer-songwriters like Lana, Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga etc... who have their own vision and build it accordingly to what they feel and what they went through.. 

And you say that she makes songs her own, well as soon as I heard her modulate her voice, I thought "Well, this must be Sia, it can't be otherwise"..

Does picking what you want on a silver platter make you a singer ? 

But don't take this as an attack or an argument, it's merely a thought.. 

I agree with you there, I do really enjoy singer-songwriters like Lana + Gaga etc, but at the same time I love people like Rihanna + Britney who don't necessarily contribute to all their songs. Though the latters' contribution to the songs themselves in comparison to the formers' is very minimal (particularly Britney's), their songs are still memorable + beautiful because they make it their own. Could anyone else sing ...Baby One More Time? Or Umbrella? Or Work? The thing that I dislike about Sledgehammer is because she's trying so hard to sound like Sia, which doesn't sound right at all. Rihanna has a gorgeous voice, as shown in songs like Love on the Brain, and she does her best when she sings naturally in that way instead of trying to be someone else. 

The choosing of songs doesn't correlate to your ability as a singer, it's your vocals that are foremost important in judging your singing abilities. It doesn't make you a singer whether you write/don't write your songs.

Don't worry, I don't see it as an argument, I know you're just debating it!

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I agree with you there, I do really enjoy singer-songwriters like Lana + Gaga etc, but at the same time I love people like Rihanna + Britney who don't necessarily contribute to all their songs. Though the latters' contribution to the songs themselves in comparison to the formers' is very minimal (particularly Britney's), their songs are still memorable + beautiful because they make it their own. Could anyone else sing ...Baby One More Time? Or Umbrella? Or Work? The thing that I dislike about Sledgehammer is because she's trying so hard to sound like Sia, which doesn't sound right at all. Rihanna has a gorgeous voice, as shown in songs like Love on the Brain, and she does her best when she sings naturally in that way instead of trying to be someone else. 

The choosing of songs doesn't correlate to your ability as a singer, it's your vocals that are foremost important in judging your singing abilities. It doesn't make you a singer whether you write/don't write your songs.

Don't worry, I don't see it as an argument, I know you're just debating it!

Yes, all good points ! It's funny when you think of how the songs would have sounded with other singers; I know "Umbrella" had been offered to Mary J. Blige so there's food for thought ! :D 

And I must say, Rihanna has improved immensely, vocally speaking ! I was really impressed with her Love on the Brain performance ! 

Thanks for understanding, I don't like debating when I feel that there's animosity  :heart:

Yes, all good points ! It's funny when you think of how the songs would have sounded with other singers; I know "Umbrella" had been offered to Mary J. Blige so there's food for thought ! :D

And I must say, Rihanna has improved immensely, vocally speaking ! I was really impressed with her Love on the Brain performance ! 

Thanks for understanding, I don't like debating when I feel that there's animosity  :heart:

Yeah, Umbrella was shopped around for loads of artists before it was given to Rihanna, even Britney was supposed to record it! I agree, her vocals were always good, but the LOTB performance showed that she's drastically improved as a vocalist as well.

:kiss:

OAjeWdG.jpg?1