Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Theres literally nothing left to talk about, Lana post a picture on instagram challenge

Do you guys think she’s referencing Tommy James & The Shondells song Crimson & Clover in Venice Bitch?

It’s a very 70’s psych rock song

I think she does

Do you guys think that How To Disappear is longer than the version she sang at the apple event? She sang a shortened version of Venice Bitch (for obvious reasons) but I was just wondering.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Do you guys think that How To Disappear is longer than the version she sang at the apple event? She sang a shortened version of Venice Bitch (for obvious reasons) but I was just wondering.

Yeah. 

---

I'm 90% sure Happiness Is a Butterfly turns into a psychedelic mess.

Do you guys think she’s referencing Tommy James & The Shondells song Crimson & Clover in Venice Bitch?

It’s a very 70’s psych rock song

She definitely is, in the way she has referenced songs frequently in the past. 

The beauty of using that on VB is because of the psych rock elements, but also because of how much power she finds in the "over and over" with the instrumental doing the same thing. 

I think some undervalue the lyricism of VB. While the first 2 minutes or so aren't necessarily some of her most defined or clever lyrics, they're Lana-ish enough to feel genuine. The real lyricism is in the improv(?) lines she does in the last 4/5 of the track. I think this is also why it's not easy to write the song off as being the lone work of Jack on his own. It's still her fingerprints all over it. 

Per Jack’s Instagram story, they’re currently in his studio together.

http://instagram.com/p/BtxD-iKHb4A/

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Why don't we discuss what sound we think the rest of NFR is gonna be? Even though I think it'll be 70% piano, 30% other instruments and synths :creep:

I think there will be a sort of thirds going on - like how L4L kinda morphed from trap/trip hop into trap/folk (and some complete folk), only this one will be piano singer/songwriter stuff/trip hop (like Cinnamon) and piano/psych rock (like VB and MAC), with a couple of pure piano pieces on there. I think the thirds can be (speculative) a country twist somewhere in the center of the album (if she does decide to but those two on.) If not, I think it'll just morph from piano to piano with guitar to piano with guitar and a psych rock sensibility. Her lyrics will mostly be similar to MAC - where they're melancholic and apathetic, yet optimistic and not too depressing or self-concerned about it. I think HiaDT may potentially be the most depressing track, which is why it'll probably be the second to last track (the Old Money/Yayo/Change) of the album - that and they're all examples of being more stripped back than the other titles on their respective albums. 

Per Jack’s Instagram story, they’re currently in his studio together.

http://instagram.com/p/BtxD-iKHb4A/

Okay, I'm really starting to think the two country tracks are the 12 and 13 when the tracklist bumped up. 

That, or we're getting an album with stripped back piano ballads, psych rock, and trip hop in equal measure. 

A guesstimate for a tracklist:

01. Mariners Apartment Complex

02. Norman Fucking Rockwell

03. In Your Car

04. Cinnamon

05. (something trip hop)

06. Happiness is a Butterfly

07. (something piano with guitar)

08. Hey Blue Baby

09. I Must Be Stupid for Being So Happy

10. (something psych rock-ish)

11. Venice Bitch

12. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

13. How to Disappear

If HBB and IMBSfBSH aren't on there, then I think those tracks are gonna be hybrids of piano, guitar, and psych rock as the album morphs into that. Maybe a few more strings/trip hop like IYC and Cinnamon, either way. 

Why don't we discuss what sound we think the rest of NFR is gonna be? Even though I think it'll be 70% piano, 30% other instruments and synths :creep:

I really really really hope its full of electric guitar / surf rock vibes like she said 

Also, just a theory to throw around. She could end up starting the album with HiaDT as a way to get the stripped back track out of the way, follow that up with the piano of HiaB, with the latter increasing more instruments into the soundscape. 

I'm just a sucker for Suzanne Vega using acapella of Tom's Diner in the past, but it'd be a great way to get the darkest song out of the way.

I don't know, just a dark horse possibility.