Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,019 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Oh wow thats what I've been feeling about this album but couldn't put into words, thanks.

Β 

It definitely lacks the cinematic/mysterious vibes the other albums had, and it's funny how Jack said his intention was to leave some space for imagination when, for me, this is her most straight forward album. As you said, it's pretty straight forward so it doesn't leave much to imagination.

Β 

But on the other hand I like this album because it doesn't require much thinking, if that makes sense? Lana herself said this is a mood album and I love to listen to it while doing nothing, it's a great album to listen while lying in bed staring at the ceiling lmaoΒ 

Β 

It's a great album to listen to when you painting your entire house with beige paint.Β 

Β 

I appreciate that he went into a different direction as far as production and melodic construction go. But, like you said, it's pretty straightforward comparatively to her other albums. I don't want to use the word dreamy, but like it's not very dreamy. But then again, that's just my repetitive opinion.

Wow, this Sputinik write-up on NFR is a must-read! It accurately recognizes Born To Die and Norman as Lana's ''cultural touchstone'' albums, has a great (and true) Tool/metaleads anecdote, uses ''pristine'' toΒ describe Jack's production (hard to get more accurate than that). This guy just gets it! So good!

Β 

kqYTtZ4.png

lRs2X1T.png

X4BnuR2.png

Β 

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/blog/2019/12/20/staffs-top-50-albums-of-2019-10-1/

It definitely lacks the cinematic/mysterious vibes the other albums had, and it's funny how Jack said his intention was to leave some space for imagination when, for me, this is her most straight forward album. As you said, it's pretty straight forward so it doesn't leave much for you to figure out or a situation to create on your own mind.

Β 

this i think is my biggest issue with the album (and not just this album, its a broader phenomenon): i understand and appreciate the concept of trying to leave space for imagination and i think thats a really beautiful idea, but you have to spark that imagination in the first place. leaving room is all well and good but you gotta kickstart what you're leaving room for! its like jack/lana were like "ok we're gonna go for a candle instead of a firework show with this one" but then forgot to actually light the candleΒ 

it's just the way i feel

this i think is my biggest issue with the album (and not just this album, its a broader phenomenon): i understand and appreciate the concept of trying to leave space for imagination and i think thats a really beautiful idea, but you have to spark that imagination in the first place. leaving room is all well and good but you gotta kickstart what you're leaving room for! its like jack/lana were like "ok we're gonna go for a candle instead of a firework show with this one" but then forgot to actually light the candle

Has there ever been written anything more accurate about this album? How you describe Jack's production (hard to get more accurate than that). You just get it! So good! :hooker:

Has there ever been written anything more accurate about this album? How youΒ describe Jack's production (hard to get more accurate than that). You just get it! So good!Β  :hooker:Β 

Β 

thanks babe!Β  :kiss2:Β appreciate your posts in here, you know whats up and do a great job articulating it :)

it's just the way i feel

Some members can beat around the bushes all they want, butΒ we all know what they're really saying. They want the same old, same old.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

You really like that gif don't you

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

thanks babe! :kiss2: appreciate your posts in here, you know whats up and do a great job articulating it :)

Thank you so much MoveBaby! I really try, but it's hard in those LanaBoards water. Your posts are well articulated as well!

Β 

Some members can beat around the bushes all they want, but we all know what they're really saying. They want Lana to be beige and tamed! But above all, can't stand the idea of being critical towards Lana. Oh well. If by same old same old they mean quality production, intricate instrumentation and atmospheric soundscape, then hell yeah I want same old same old. :hooker:

Some members can beat around the bushes all they want, butΒ we all know what they're really saying. They want the same old, same old.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

Β 

I wouldn't call any of Lana's albums same old same old. Theyre all completedly unique.Β 

NFR just isn't great.Β 

nfr mv is genuinely so boring, it's nothing we haven't already seen. i like the hiab part though.

Β 

also y'all overhyping nfr like your life depends on it rlly just shows how bland the album is, we get it now, get a job geez :creep: lana having 2 flop albums isn't a big deal, we can move on and hope the next one will be better next time.

Β 

I just wanna say I'm so glad you're back! :heart:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

TheNeedleDrop Year End List:

Β 

Album: NFR! - #33

Song: The greatest - #33

Β 

he came from a hater to a stan in denial :lmao:

Β 

#33? I think we need to bully him some more.

into your eyesΒ tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gifΒ my face remains

I think I was pretty clear in my original post. If you come here and say that Lana has been tamed and that the album lacks the cinematic/mysterious/dramatic vibes the other albums had, then you want the same old and that's a fact.

Β 

And Norman Fucking Rockwell, the most acclaimed album of the year, up for top Grammy awards, doesn't need some random forum users to hype it up.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

I wouldn't call any of Lana's albums same old same old. Theyre all completedly unique.Β 

NFR just isn't great.Β 

Β 

yOu'Re wRoNg!!!1! cRiTicS eAtiNg sHiT uP blah, cRiTiCaL aCcLaIm blah, yEaR eNd blah, dEcAdE eNd blah, gRaMmYs blah, yOu jUsT wAnT lAnA tO sTaY iN tHe pAsT blah, yOu hAvE nO tAsTe blah, sToP cOmMeNtInG oN tHiS tHrEaD blah, i KeEp pOsTiNg tHe sAmE vAgUe GiF blah!!!1!

I think I was pretty clear in my original post. If you come here and say that Lana has been tamed and that the album lacks the cinematic/mysterious/dramatic vibes the other albums had, then you want the same old and that's a fact.

Β 

And Norman Fucking Rockwell, the most acclaimed album of the year, up for top Grammy awards, doesn't need some random forum users to hype it up.Β 

Β 

tenor.gif

Β 

Let me clarify, as I should have in my original reply.

Β 

Lana has been tamed by Jack's production. JackΒ lacks the cinematic/mysterious/dramatic vibes that her other producers had, and we want her outstanding music to return and that's a fact.

And Norman Fucking Rockwell, the most boring album of her discography, does not need to win Lana a grammy in order for her to move on and make better things with her producers again.Β 

Let me clarify, as I should have in my original reply.

Β 

Lana has been tamed by Jack's production. JackΒ lacks the cinematic/mysterious/dramatic vibes that her other producers had, and we want her outstanding music to return and that's a fact.

And Norman Fucking Rockwell, the most boring album of her discography, does not need to win Lana a grammy in order for her to move on and make better things with her producers again.Β 

Β 

I find it extremely funny, but kind of unsettling, how all these years we were, in a way, fine that Lana didn't really get the type of acclaim she's been receiving for NFR. Because we knew that her albums were amazing and the industry selectively kissing some artists' butts was not something Lana needed as an artist. But now some fans act as if that's all that matters for Lana, to receive this sort of validation from the very same industry that has paid her dust and disregarded her for so many years. Like they turn a blind eye on the how the industry is just ridiculous, and act as if they are actually right when they dictate what is great and what is not.Β 

Β 

But also acting like the thought police of a forum when other fans dare express their so called negative opinions or thoughts and basically want to create some type of 'safe space' specifically for fans that are in love with the album. It's a freaking forum.Β 

I didn't know NFR! had haters

Β 

dRL1vzW.gif

Β 

Only on LB, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit, Facebook, The world at large I guess

Β 

dRL1vzW.gif

Β 

baby, now you doΒ  :hooker:Β