Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Only on LB and a very unnoticeable minority on reddit seem to complain about 'LACKLUSTER' production. . .

Meanwhile the record has aged like wine. I just want to go to a beach and listen to it and cry to Love Song.

So unnoticeable that every time one of us, especially me, post somewhat of a negative comment about literally any aspect of the album there's a sea of comments that basically act like the thought police of the LanaBoards, or police of "good taste" and are like: "we get it you don't like the album, just shut up already".

If it's so inoffensive why do you guys act out on it? Legit curious. I'm not here to change opinions, just state my own, if you agree, well you agree, if you don't, you don't. But why do you some of you guys get up in arms about like opinions as repetitive or annoying as you might think they are? I've had people coming left and right for my jugular last week and honestly, it didn't really encourage me to stop being active on here, but the whole time I was thinking that it's a little too much for just being active on a fan forum.

Wow been a while since I checked this thread and the endless hate continues. 

Personally its her best album for me. I've listened to it endlessly since it came out. Every song is magical and I love the production. Every time I listen I seem to think of a new interpretation of the lyrics, or notice something different about the production. Definitely my top album of 2019, and maybe my top album of the decade. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I find it extremely funny, but kind of unsettling, how all these years we were, in a way, fine that Lana didn't really get the type of acclaim she's been receiving for NFR. Because we knew that her albums were amazing and the industry selectively kissing some artists' butts was not something Lana needed as an artist. But now some fans act as if that's all that matters for Lana, to receive this sort of validation from the very same industry that has paid her dust and disregarded her for so many years. Like they turn a blind eye on the how the industry is just ridiculous, and act as if they are actually right when they dictate what is great and what is not. 

But also acting like the thought police of a forum when other fans dare express their so called negative opinions or thoughts and basically want to create some type of 'safe space' specifically for fans that are in love with the album. It's a freaking forum. 

Ooof. this. 

And yeah, I actually wish I was one of those (in the majority) that love the album so much and think it deserves everything it's gotten. I've tried and it didn't work. 

Expressing our opinions is literally not changing anything about NFR's recognition so it really shouldn't matter that the small majority has been speaking louder on this one forum for the past few months. 

By the way, I think lots of good discussion has come out of us being relentlessly and brutally honest. It's not always encouraging backlash. We are not conducting a #LDRISOVERPARTY.

We've talked about

- how one beloved producer can turn Lana's public image around 180 degrees

- how basic & predictable music gets more notice from the the general public

- how taking the safe route is more appealing to a wider audience, but diminishes inspiration

- what is was about Lana's pre-2016 music that made many people uneasy and many strongly oppose her bold and unconventional expression

- how the complexity and elusiveness in her art lifted very suddenly and is almost completely gone

- consoled each other through the many times she has lied to us and gotten our hopes up for nothing  :toofunny:

Just to reiterate, I have really appreciated the critical thought that these discussions have encouraged. It's making it much easier to accept what music I like, and what I don't like, and why. 

Ooof. this. 

And yeah, I actually wish I was one of those (in the majority) that love the album so much and think it deserves everything it's gotten. I've tried and it didn't work. 

Expressing our opinions is literally not changing anything about NFR's recognition so it really shouldn't matter that the small majority has been speaking louder on this one forum for the past few months. 

By the way, I think lots of good discussion has come out of us being relentlessly and brutally honest. It's not always encouraging backlash. We are not conducting a #LDRISOVERPARTY.

We've talked about

- how one beloved producer can turn Lana's public image around 180 degrees

- how basic & predictable music gets more notice from the the general public

- how taking the safe route is more appealing to a wider audience, but diminishes inspiration

- what is was about Lana's pre-2016 music that made many people uneasy and many strongly oppose her bold and unconventional expression

- how the complexity and elusiveness in her art lifted very suddenly and is almost completely gone

- consoled each other through the many times she has lied to us and gotten our hopes up for nothing  :toofunny:

Just to reiterate, I have really appreciated the critical thought that these discussions have encouraged. It's making it much easier to accept what music I like, and what I don't like, and why. 

Wow, finally someone that gets it. I'm legit going to frame your post.

So unnoticeable that every time one of us, especially me, post somewhat of a negative comment about literally any aspect of the album there's a sea of comments that basically act like the thought police of the LanaBoards, or police of "good taste" and are like: "we get it you don't like the album, just shut up already".

If it's so inoffensive why do you guys act out on it? Legit curious. I'm not here to change opinions, just state my own, if you agree, well you agree, if you don't, you don't. But why do you some of you guys get up in arms about like opinions as repetitive or annoying as you might think they are? I've had people coming left and right for my jugular last week and honestly, it didn't really encourage me to stop being active on here, but the whole time I was thinking that it's a little too much for just being active on a fan forum.

Because you’re on every. single. page. I miss out 20 pages, come back days later and you and Jared are still going back and forth. Jared is also annoying with the praise. I respect differing opinions just as much as opinions similar to mine but both get annoying af when it’s repeated by the same people almost every day.

Because you’re on every. single. page. I miss out 20 pages, come back days later and you and Jared are still going back and forth. Jared is also annoying with the praise. I respect differing opinions just as much as opinions similar to mine but both get annoying af when it’s repeated by the same people almost every day.

ok, bloomer.

I never asked you to stop posting your opinions sweetie. I was merely stating a fact that only very few people seem to have a problem. Did I ask you to stop posting or talk something about what you like or dont like? You're entitled to your opinion and so am I. I'm not even trying to convince you and I never did.So calm down.

all i wanna say is that Jack ruined NFR for me. I HATE THIS GUY.

i tried to listen to the whole thing, like 3 or 4 times, and it's always the same things that bother me, things that actually could've been removed in a blink of an eye, which is even more annoying. i get that this is Lana's vision but dude you're a producer.... you're supposed to like, you know.. produce..? if you see any minor issue, like white noise or literally awful digital instruments, aren't you supposed to... speak up?

also, believe it or not...... the fact that Jack produced her album.... is what made NFR look so good to Grammies, Pitchfork, & Co..!! :smile: these mfs payed her dust and TRASHED her throughout her WHOLE career, and suddenly.. cuz :

- they rate NFR 9.0 (which clearly do NOT deserve such a high rate considering how awful the production is and how the work is half assed done),

- they call NFR album of the year

- and out of the blue say Lana paved the way for so many artists of the decade...

y'all care? y'all keep Jared-ing us with those "no!! 1! NFR is her best album cuz critics said so!!¡1".. it's not cool..

don't be that delusional......we all know that if Jack didn't produce NFR, sure, she maybe would've gotten nominated..

but she would've gotten SNUBBED! like every year!! LMAO, and NFR's rate wouldn't be better than 7, or 7.5 at last! (+ the album would've been 100% better if Beef Stroganoff didn't ruin it which just shows how stupid and full of SHIT critics are :hooker:)

please be better than this. i don't think it's fair to suddenly suck their ding dongs when they've been so cruel to Lana for such a long time... :creep:

Or I dunno maybe the critics just enjoyed the album as much as some of us here did? 

Yeah its annoying Lana didn't get the critical acclaim for albums like Honeymoon when she obviously should have but thats the past. I'm just glad she's getting it for this album. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Jack Antonoff is a pop producer who rose to fame with mediocre alt-pop bands (fun. and Bleachers) and appeared on numerous Taylor Swift albums. He's not an indie-rock god so that Pitchfork and others would have a boner for him. Another, much repeated, nonsensical talking point is that Lana has been trashed throughout her whole career, when it fact she has been a fairly acclaimed artist since the 2014 and Ultraviolence. Even before Norman Fucking God, she has had multiple albums with scores of almost 80 on Metacritic. 

The reason why Norman Fucking God is (deservingly) Lana's most acclaimed album to date is because it's her most precise, most stripped-down, most mature album with the best and most clever songwriting of her career. It's that simple.

Feel free to continue spinning these ridiculous and baseless conspiracy theories to make yourself feel better about not liking the album, but I think it would be much better (and  healthier) to stop projecting and start reflecting. Maybe it's time to come to terms with the fact that it's not majority of public/fans/critics who are cynical/in the wrong here, and that maybe it's just some of you guys who happen to have a shitty taste. 

tenor.gif

Shirley Manson is a singer who rose to fame with interesting alt-rock bands (Angelfish) and appeared on Garbage albums. She's not an alt-rock god so that Pitchfork and others would have a boner for her. Another, much repeated, nonsensical talking point is that Garbage has been trashed throughout their whole career, when it fact they have been a fairly acclaimed band since the 1995 and self titled. Even before God 2.0, they had multiple albums with scores of almost 80 on Metacritic. 

The reason why God 2.0 is (deservingly) Garbage's most acclaimed album to date is because it's their most precise, most interesting, most mature album with the best and most clever songwriting of their career. It's that simple.

Feel free to continue spinning these ridiculous and baseless conspiracy theories to make yourself feel better about not liking the album, but I think it would be much better (and  healthier) to stop projecting and start reflecting. Maybe it's time to come to terms with the fact that it's not majority of public/fans/critics who are cynical/in the wrong here, and that maybe it's just some of you guys who happen to have a shitty taste. 

tea im gonna go stream hammering in my head

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

The reason why Norman Fucking God is (deservingly) Lana's most acclaimed album to date is because it's her most precise, most stripped-down, most mature album with the best and most clever songwriting of her career. It's that simple.

imagne thinking NFR is Lana's most mature album with her most clever songwriting HAHAHAHAHAHA.  this is what you get when you buy your taste at Target