Elle

Text Book

32 minutes ago, lili said:

When she says "Other men I met felt right/ Would smile at you and stick a knife in your back/ Finally I met you so I'm not wondering why". With all the recent Sean drama aside, as it renders all the sentiment shared in these lyrics defunct... Still I wanna know, I really do, what it must feel like to love someone so much that they make all the suffering brought upon you by others before almost a necessity, because you had to get lost that way to arrive at "the one", so you understand why what happened with others happened. I really do hope someday I'll understand. <3 

it kinda doesn't render it defunct... she kinda thought it was it but you know...

10 minutes ago, Big Star said:

it kinda doesn't render it defunct... she kinda thought it was it but you know...

I meant she might think of him as stabbing in her back too at this very moment. But that doesn’t mean he can’t still be the one who made her feel all that. So you’re absolutely right, nothing can render the sentiments truly felt in heart defunct. ♥️

From the Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll discussion, I prefer to reply here:

12 hours ago, Louise said:

"with or without him" him being sean" I think that is correct!

Here is an interpretation I haven't read online: I think her refers to the daughter. And there was the issue of her. I didn't even like myself, or love the life I had.

The daughter, Alyssa , is the one who outed the romance . . . Alyssa seems like a nice girl, tho celeb-struck. Could be.

3 hours ago, Vertimus said:

I've always thought her was Lana's mother, who she had to compete with for Rob's attention. It's classic Electra Complex---textbook--stuff. 

1 hour ago, Louise said:

Now I have to go reread the lyrics!

Wow! Emotionally I am still shaky from TUOB, or maybe I am more "available," but I had a mini-breakdown just reading the lyrics! Here goes:

I stand by my interpretation it is the daughter, Alyssa. It is unthinkable to drag someone in the limelight in an unflattering way, is why Lana was vague. The prior verse:

And I thought I found it in Brentwood
It seemed only appropriate you'd easily have my back

talking about Sean - what do you think? Agree? as well as the verse which follows

And then there was the issue of her
I didn't even like myself, or love the life I had:

And there you were with shining stars
Standin' blue with open arms
You touched the detriment most of the friends I knew already had

So even though Lana mentions her mother often, and it is a valid take on your part, in this case, with the "her" lyrics sandwiched between two sentences about the cop, I think it refers to Alyssa, the daughter, who outed the cop's and Lana's relationship. I remember People magazine posting the unflattering photo and quoting Alyssa.

Paparazzi never quit descending on Lana. Nor, sometimes, the fans! I think everyone on Lanaboards is cool and would give Lana her space, but some young stans go beserk, like those driving in the car next to her driving a 4Runner on the freeway, obviously in a private moment, and feeling entitled to film Lana. I shudder because of the danger to themselves and other drivers! Inappropriate. And the license got captured, too, with the entire thing viral on twitter . . .

Alyssa was excited her Dad was dating Lana, and maybe wondering is Lana going to become step-mom, and requested selfies with Lana. That's why Lana said "I didn't even like myself, or love the life I had." Like, people think celebrity is so great, and famous people have it made . . . so selfies are an entitlement to the fans . . . It is not true. What goes on inside, Lana was trying to share. Sometimes Lana is barely holding it together!

Edited by Louise
spelling

Wow! Good answer! You responded over there, and I had responded over here. I will post your quote here, with your permission:

37 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I believe that because, in the stanza above, she's just said "I guess you could call it textbook, I was looking for the father I wanted back," and whom she thought she had finally found in Brentwood (in Sean?).

But just as she's currently still haunted by longing for her father or the father archetype, she's also haunted, in 'textbook' style, by her mother, or the mother image and archetype, whom she had to compete with for her father's love and attention. Perhaps she's now seeing her 'mother' again in someone new, someone who is coming between her and the new man in her life--a member here said it could be Sean's daughter, which it could be, if Lana perceived the daughter as doing exactly what she perceived mother had done--come between her and her father in her childhood and youth. It happens. This is all classic Freudian 'family romance.' 

So in a way, she's blaming all or some her adult life romantic problems on her mother, "on the issue of her," and, as we know, she doesn't have a good relationship with her mother, which she's (also) addressed on WFWF and again on OC.    

1 minute ago, Louise said:

Wow! Good answer! You responded over there, and I had responded over here. I will post your quote here, with your permission:

Sure, thank you. It's my pleasure. 

You said:

52 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I believe that because, in the stanza above, she's just said "I guess you could call it textbook, I was looking for the father I wanted back," and whom she thought she had finally found in Brentwood (in Sean?).

We're in agreement there!

10 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Sure, thank you. It's my pleasure. 

I do think a lot of the relationship conflicts she's addressed in her life could stem from her family life, particularly her mom. I don't personally know the psychological effects of having a flawed relationship with your mother, but I assume it's pretty damaging.

"And my momma, she would say that I deceived you
But that's the only way I knew how to begin"

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

5 minutes ago, jaesana said:

I do think a lot of the relationship conflicts she's addressed in her life could stem from her family life, particularly her mom. I don't personally know the psychological effects of having a flawed relationship with your mother, but I assume it's pretty damaging.

"And my momma, she would say that I deceived you
But that's the only way I knew how to begin"

Wow! 17 years ago, and Lana was only 20, and wrote a song like that, with very clever lyrics! But it is cute, and there is depth to it, and it is gratuitous, too. I thought you quoted another artist, but I did a search and found the song, My Momma. The humor is already in play! Thanx for the quote.

Just now, Louise said:

Wow! 17 years ago, and Lana was only 20, and wrote a song like that, with very clever lyrics! But it is cute, and there is depth to it, and it is gratuitous, too. I thought you quoted another artist, but I did a search and found the song, My Momma. The humor is already in play! Thanx for the quote.

I love that song. I remember being 13 when I heard it for the first time, I'm 23 now. One of my fave off Sirens. Time flies 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

Going back to this thread, because a couple people on the Does anybody like every Lana song that she has released??? thread said lyrics to Textbook are "cringe."

Ajyll doesn't think they're cinge!

Like Ajay, I too am a blubbing mess with tears streaming down by the end of Textbook, the best song on Lana's best album!

On 5/21/2021 at 5:48 AM, West Coast said:

Dare I say that 'Text Book' is one of the best Lana songs I have heard in years. I'm literally shook from the first listen and it only gets better from there. :brandy:

I want to ask what the deal is with the lyrics about her dad, I fully thought he drowned himself in old man river years ago but apparently he is living in nyc, I can't find any info online and I would really like to know for an essay I'm doing for English, thank you.

1 hour ago, Neisha Reilly said:

I want to ask what the deal is with the lyrics about her dad, I fully thought he drowned himself in old man river years ago but apparently he is living in nyc, I can't find any info online and I would really like to know for an essay I'm doing for English, thank you.

Lana's dad Rob is alive and well and currently lives part-time between Anna Maria Island, Florida and Los Angeles, California. Lana grew up with her parents in Lake Placid, New York which they moved to in 1986 after previously living in NYC. Here are his Instagram and Twitter profiles. Lana & Rob have a very close relationship and he accompanied Lana during her travels while she toured last year, as he has done for some of her other tour travels over the years. He also put out his own album last year and Lana is featured on two of the tracks - 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

3 hours ago, Neisha Reilly said:

Elle already explained where he’s currently at in life, but Lana and Rob recently released a couple songs together. He’s definitely alive and well, lol

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°